Posted to alt.home.repair
GCat002

Default Dexter doorknob removal

I have a Dexter keyed doorknob set on my backdoor that I'm trying to
replace. The doorknob had one screw in the top of the inside knob neck.
I've removed this, and can loosen the face plates, but I can't get the
knobs off. The only threads I've found for removing the Dexter says
there is a small opening for sticking in a screwdriver that loosens
some knob mechanism, but mine doesn't seem to have that.

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT

GCat002 wrote:

I have a Dexter keyed doorknob set on my backdoor that I'm trying to
replace. The doorknob had one screw in the top of the inside knob neck.
I've removed this, and can loosen the face plates, but I can't get the
knobs off. The only threads I've found for removing the Dexter says
there is a small opening for sticking in a screwdriver that loosens
some knob mechanism, but mine doesn't seem to have that.

It's not easy to see, if it's the one I'm thinking of. It's a
long, straight, slender slot just big enough to for a regular
screwdriver, probably opposite the screw you removed. It'll have
the piece from inside engaged, so will appear flush +/- with the knob
surface.

Posted to alt.home.repair
GCat002

CJT wrote:

It's not easy to see, if it's the one I'm thinking of. It's a
long, straight, slender slot just big enough to for a regular
screwdriver, probably opposite the screw you removed.

Thanks...I've found a little indentation in the shape of a slot, but
can't seem to do anything with it. I can pull the knob out about a
quarter of an inch. In both the flush and the extended positions I've
tried pressing up into the dent with a screwdriver, but it looks like
all I'm doing is cleaning the metal.

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT

GCat002 wrote:

CJT wrote:

It's not easy to see, if it's the one I'm thinking of. It's a
long, straight, slender slot just big enough to for a regular
screwdriver, probably opposite the screw you removed.

Thanks...I've found a little indentation in the shape of a slot, but
can't seem to do anything with it. I can pull the knob out about a
quarter of an inch. In both the flush and the extended positions I've
tried pressing up into the dent with a screwdriver, but it looks like
all I'm doing is cleaning the metal.

I wish I could see what you're seeing. I think the slot in question is
about 1/4 to 3/8 inches wide and just big enough the other direction for
a screwdriver blade. Pressing it firmly straight in while pulling on
the knob should release the knob.

Or you might have a different beast entirely. :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair
GCat002

CJT wrote:
I wish I could see what you're seeing. I think the slot in question is
about 1/4 to 3/8 inches wide and just big enough the other direction for
a screwdriver blade. Pressing it firmly straight in while pulling on
the knob should release the knob.

Or you might have a different beast entirely. :-)

It seems like a beast! I found a similar slot on the outside knob
(running horizontal rather than perpendicular). I've even tried
pressing them at the same time with no luck. They are both as you
describe. I'll go at it again tomorrow when there is more light or when
I can borrow some muscle. I think the door is going to give before the
knob does!

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT

GCat002 wrote:

CJT wrote:

I wish I could see what you're seeing. I think the slot in question is
about 1/4 to 3/8 inches wide and just big enough the other direction for
a screwdriver blade. Pressing it firmly straight in while pulling on
the knob should release the knob.

Or you might have a different beast entirely. :-)

It seems like a beast! I found a similar slot on the outside knob
(running horizontal rather than perpendicular). I've even tried
pressing them at the same time with no luck. They are both as you
describe. I'll go at it again tomorrow when there is more light or when
I can borrow some muscle. I think the door is going to give before the
knob does!

Maybe it's a different sort. It may stick, but it shouldn't take a
huge effort. I don't want you to wreck your door because the setup
I'm familiar with isn't what you have!

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT

GCat002 wrote:

CJT wrote:

I wish I could see what you're seeing. I think the slot in question is
about 1/4 to 3/8 inches wide and just big enough the other direction for
a screwdriver blade. Pressing it firmly straight in while pulling on
the knob should release the knob.

Or you might have a different beast entirely. :-)

It seems like a beast! I found a similar slot on the outside knob
(running horizontal rather than perpendicular). I've even tried
pressing them at the same time with no luck. They are both as you
describe. I'll go at it again tomorrow when there is more light or when
I can borrow some muscle. I think the door is going to give before the
knob does!

How does it compare with page 28 of this:

http://consumer.schlage.com/main/ads/pdf/MR_1209.pdf

Posted to alt.home.repair
GCat002

CJT wrote:

How does it compare with page 28 of this:

http://consumer.schlage.com/main/ads/pdf/MR_1209.pdf

I would have said yes, that's what it looks like, but I just checked my
new knobs. The inside knob just has dents like both of my knobs, but
the outside knob has a little button that can be depressed into a slot,
which I assume is what the picture is actually showing. My dents must
just be manufacturing depressions. The reference was good -- I should
have checked the new knobs earlier but it never crossed my mind.

Posted to alt.home.repair
GCat002

The deed is done. Thanks for all your help! In the end, we used brute
strength, a person on each side pulling at the knobs until one popped.
Then everything just came tumbling out.

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT

GCat002 wrote:

The deed is done. Thanks for all your help! In the end, we used brute
strength, a person on each side pulling at the knobs until one popped.
Then everything just came tumbling out.

Congratulations! Where there's a will, there's a way!

wallpaper removal with a Scunci Steamer? ari Home Repair 4 April 13th 05 04:27 AM
wallpaper removal with a Scunci Steamer? ari Home Ownership 0 April 11th 05 05:36 PM
Salt and vinegar for rust removal Paul O. Woodworking 89 May 21st 04 09:20 PM
Dexter Lock Bubba Home Repair 8 January 6th 04 12:33 AM
Electrolytic Rust Removal & Power Supplies Doug Van Horn Woodworking 16 January 1st 04 05:13 PM