Posted to alt.home.repair
David

Default Oil Furnace Intake Vent

I have some basic questions about venting a closed utility room in a
basement to the outside air.

I am finishing my basement and will be enclosing the utility room from
the living space. In the utility room there is the oil furnace, for
water base-heat and hot water, and the Oil Tank. The utility room is
about 6' deep by 15' long. I live in CT so it gets cold in winter.
The doors will be non-louvered and the walls insulated to the living
space. (I want to keep the noise of the furnace out of the new living
space.) I would like to vent the utility area with outside air for
combustion. The furnace exhaust is already connected to the chimney
stack, located next to the furnace in the basement. The furnace is not
presently designed to have a deticated air intake duct added, so I
believe that I will have to vent the entire utility room.
I guess I would follow the advice of others and simply add a grilled
vent to the outside wall and duct the vent to the utility area. My
question a

1) How do I determine the size of the Vent ducts to match the
combustion requirements of the furnace?
2) Will the outside "cold" air in winter be a concern to freeze pipes
in the utility area, specifically the cold water lines?

Any other comments or suggestions are very appreciated.

Thank you,

David

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dr. Hardcrab

Is you burner (not the boiler brand) a Beckett? If so, they make a fresh air
kit that you run to a vent (included with kit. Looks pretty much like a
dryer vent) that goes through an outside wall. I've installed them with a
"flex" like hose (between the burner intake and vent) and with hard pipe (4"
metal). Check with you oil company and I'm sure they will sell you one or
better yet, have them install it.. I'm pretty sure they make them for a lot
of burners, but i know of the Beckett one for sure....

"David" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
David

The Boiler is a Smith Cast Iron. The burner is a Carlin Combustioin
Tech. burner. I will check with the local oil company to see if they
can put on a kit. Otherwise I will see if Carlin has one.
Thanks for the advice.

David

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dr. Hardcrab

"David" wrote in message
oups.com...
The Boiler is a Smith Cast Iron. The burner is a Carlin Combustioin
Tech. burner. I will check with the local oil company to see if they
can put on a kit. Otherwise I will see if Carlin has one.
Thanks for the advice.

Look on page 10 of this link:

http://www.dawnsolar.com/downloads/E...ary%202005.pdf

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark

or you can install a dreyer type vent and run the duct into the room
and leave the end of the duct open in the room near the furnace.

the room will be kept warm by the funrace and the vent will provide a
source of air to replace the air that the furnace uses .

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dr. Hardcrab

"Mark" wrote in message
oups.com...
or you can install a dreyer type vent and run the duct into the room
and leave the end of the duct open in the room near the furnace.

the room will be kept warm by the funrace and the vent will provide a
source of air to replace the air that the furnace uses .

True. In my old house, my forced air oil furnace was in a hall closet with
louvered doors which was too noisy. I cut a vent going into the attic and
then installed a solid door. It cut down on the noise and did not effect the
operation (return was in the ceiling).