Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How long does a bag of wood stove pellet last?

Tthe 40 lb bag. How long does it last, if say I burned a fire 8 hours
a day or longer? Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan C

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 08:22:21 -0800, needin4mation wrote:

Tthe 40 lb bag. How long does it last, if say I burned a fire 8 hours
a day or longer? Thanks.

The question can't be answered. Depends on how hot/fast you are running
the stove. Why don't you just try it, and find out?

Linux Registered User #327951

Posted to alt.home.repair

In a 24 hour day I burn approx. 40-60 pounds.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Greg O

-- wrote in message
oups.com...
Tthe 40 lb bag. How long does it last, if say I burned a fire 8 hours
a day or longer? Thanks.

A better question would be how many BTU's per bag.
Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tim Killian

Greg O wrote:
-- wrote in message
oups.com...

Tthe 40 lb bag. How long does it last, if say I burned a fire 8 hours
a day or longer? Thanks.

A better question would be how many BTU's per bag.
Greg

Wood pellets average 8200 BTU/pound, so a 40 pound bag has about 330K
BTUs. The newer stoves are probably 85%+ efficient, so that yields about
279K BTUs of delivered heat per 40# bag.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Because I don't want to spend $2000 on a stove for an experiment.

Posted to alt.home.repair

That's sounds like it could be VERY expensive.

Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207

take a look at

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/te...calculator.pdf

how much pellet wood you consume is a function of how big a fire you're
burning

which is driven by:
size of heated space
indoor temp
building insulation
outdoor conditions

asking "How long does a bag of wood stove pellet last?"

is like asking "How long will a 40 lb bag of dog food last?"

forever if you don't have a dog, not very long if you're running a dog
team everyday

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

asking "How long does a bag of wood stove pellet last?"

is like asking "How long will a 40 lb bag of dog food last?"

Hmmm.... I wonder if dogfood will burn in a pellet
stove. No reason why it shouldn't.

Posted to alt.home.repair
JerryD\(upstateNY\)

At the current price of about $200/ton, wood pellets are about half the
cost per BTU compared to propane or fuel oil. Natural gas is still
cheaper, but that could change if the price surges this Winter.

All wood gives off about the same amount of heat PER POUND.
Last year a face chord of firewood was about $50.00 to $60.00.
A ton of pellets was $180.00.
A face chord of wood weighs about 1000 pounds so 2 face chord weigh about
the same as a ton of pellets.
So wood is 2/3 the cost of pellets for the same amount of heat.
In the advertisements they show a smiling guy emptying a bag of pellets into
the stove like the last time he did it was a week ago.
I can burn 150 pounds of wood per day when it is cold out.
That's almost four 40 pound bags PER DAY.
Either way, it's a lot of work.
I think getting one of those ventless heaters is the way to go.
We use one when it is 35º or more outside because the wood stove would make
it too hot in the house.
They are not recommended for heating your house, just supplemental heat.
We have no problem with moisture, running it.
--
JerryD(upstateNY)

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to JerryD(upstateNY), dingo wrote:
Ventless heaters put out pollutants like carbon monoxide and nitrogen oxide
into your breathing space...would could go wrong?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ast-53931-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, December 13, 2017 at 8:14:10 AM UTC-6, dingo wrote:
replying to JerryD(upstateNY), dingo wrote:
Ventless heaters put out pollutants like carbon monoxide and nitrogen oxide
into your breathing space...would could go wrong?
--

You're too late. 12 years ago JerryD(upstateNY) died of carbon monoxide poisoning soon after he made the post to the Usenet forum. If you'd been around 12 years ago, you could have saved his life. O_o

[8~{} Uncle Sad Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster posted for all of us...

On Wednesday, December 13, 2017 at 8:14:10 AM UTC-6, dingo wrote:
replying to JerryD(upstateNY), dingo wrote:
Ventless heaters put out pollutants like carbon monoxide and nitrogen oxide
into your breathing space...would could go wrong?
--

You're too late. 12 years ago JerryD(upstateNY) died of carbon monoxide poisoning soon after he made the post to the Usenet forum. If you'd been around 12 years ago, you could have saved his life. O_o

[8~{} Uncle Sad Monster

Did the gerbils make it?

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, December 14, 2017 at 3:39:16 PM UTC-6, Tekkie® wrote:
Uncle Monster posted for all of us...

On Wednesday, December 13, 2017 at 8:14:10 AM UTC-6, dingo wrote:
replying to JerryD(upstateNY), dingo wrote:
Ventless heaters put out pollutants like carbon monoxide and nitrogen oxide
into your breathing space...would could go wrong?
--

You're too late. 12 years ago JerryD(upstateNY) died of carbon monoxide poisoning soon after he made the post to the Usenet forum. If you'd been around 12 years ago, you could have saved his life. O_o

[8~{} Uncle Sad Monster

Did the gerbils make it?
--
Tekkie

They were sold to a homeless shelter that used them to cook gerbil on a stick. It's said that the residents found them to be very tasty. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Hungry Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
replying to JerryD(upstateNY), dingo wrote: Ventless heaters
put out pollutants like carbon monoxide and nitrogen oxide into
your breathing space...would could go wrong? --
You're too late. 12 years ago JerryD(upstateNY) died of carbon
monoxide poisoning soon after he made the post to the Usenet
forum. If you'd been around 12 years ago, you could have saved
his life. O_o

[8~{} Uncle Sad Monster

Did the gerbils make it? -- Tekkie

They were sold to a homeless shelter that used them to cook gerbil on
a stick. It's said that the residents found them to be very tasty.
^_^

[8~{} Uncle Hungry Monster

I didn't realize gerbils could cook
Posted to alt.home.repair

It will last for years of you don't burn it.

A friends of mine has a pellet stove and he loaded in a bag of pellets
and it lasted over 6 months. Finally got used up in November. At that
rate, I'd guess you can heat your house on two bags a year.