Posted to alt.home.repair
Keith

Default Wall insulation detail, is this OK

I am opening a NE facing brick veneer over 2x4 wall in southeast
Virginia to accept a larger series of windows. I plan to do the
following on the interior:

Insulate the bays in the 2x4 wall with faced R13
Cover wall with 1/2 7 layer cabinet grade plywood( gotta good deal )
screwed every 6 inches or so for rack resistance ( paranoia )
layer 1/2 inch of rigid foam, tape seams
1/2 drywall over that.

Questions:
It looks like I will have 2 vapor barriors, will the plywood rot?
Should I even worry about the foam? It will only add R3 over the studs
Can I screw through the 1/2 inch drywall through the foam into the
plywood substrate with no worries about moving seams later.

Any other reccomendations?

Posted to alt.home.repair

The foam seems an unneeded complication.
If the sheathing on the cavity face of the studs is acceptable, gypsum
board should be o.k in most situations. As I understand it, the issue
with large window openings includes anchorage of the frame to the
foundation. Local codes should note wind speed to be used for design.
TB

Cavity wall insulation doozer UK diy 7 November 16th 05 05:13 PM
Cavity Wall Insul;ation - does it work ? Stephen UK diy 17 November 16th 05 04:54 PM
Cavity Wall Insulation Swift Half UK diy 4 October 13th 05 02:19 PM
insulating a wall Rick Dipper UK diy 10 August 6th 04 08:33 PM
Concrete retaining wall issue revisited. Pat Keith Home Repair 14 August 20th 03 09:35 PM