Default Wiring problems, and possibly unsafe old wiring

Hi,

First of all, I have a circuit that started tripping every time a large
appliance such as a washing machine or a dishwasher was used. I had no
money for repairs, so I just stopped using the dishmachine and ran an
extension cord to another circuit for the washer, but now the light
fixtures attached to it have stopped working. A voltmeter shows that
there is voltage going to the fixtures, and I've tested the bulbs to
make sure that they work. Any ideas? This house was built in 1935,
and the wire running to this circuits breaker is a really old one with
that cloth insulation, probably the original work. Is this something a
DIYer would have a chance of fixing without burning the house down?
If not, any ballpark guess on how much an electrician would charge for
something like this?

Second, while looking at the wires in the attic, I'm kind of skeptical
about the craftsmanship of the person who installed it. Some of the
wires are just loose, running 15 feet or more unanchored to anything.
Some are connected to porcelein discs which are connected to wooden
beams, and others are just stapled to the beams. Many of the wires and
porcelein discs are buried in sawdust-like insulation so deep you can't
see them. I had the home inspected before I bought it, and I don't
recall the inspectors saying anything about this. I'm not an
electrician and I don't know much about it, but I would think this is a
fire hazard and I'm concerned about safety issues. I've already lived
in one home of similar age that caught fire due to electrical issues.
What do you think?

Duane Bozarth

wrote:

[...]

Call an electrician. If you don't know enough to know a problem when
you see it, it's not a diy'er.

Running an extension cord to run the dishwasher is _not_ a good idea.

You probably have a loose ground somewhere on that circuit now. The
whole story is one of a house more than likely needing a rewiring.

If the inspection/purchase was quite recent, you might have some
recourse although most of those inspection contracts have so many
caveats in them that they're butts are covered even if the house were to
fall down the next day...
Joseph Meehan

wrote:
[...]

I agree with Duane. You have a potentially dangerous situation and it
does not sound like you have the experience and knowledge to correct it.
There are just far too many possible issues to try and give you instructions
over the internet.

For starters, I suggest that the voltage you are getting on the line may
not be an indication of anything like you think it means. 30 years ago the
meter you used would likely have read zero volts, today's meters are far
more sensitive and you are likely to come close to 120V even when there is
very little current available. Note: Without knowing what you are doing,
please don't assume this is the case, it may not be and you could have a
live line. Even something as simple as checking the line for voltage may
not be a simple as it seems.

Try to find an older professional. He has seen it all and knows what to
look for and how to correct it. The new kid may not have any experience on
legacy wiring and may not know where to start.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

SQLit

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

circa 1935 your lucky they even bothered to tie the wiring down.

http://www.codecheck.com/wiring_history.htm
I pass this link on from someone else who posted in on this newsgroup.

Have you checked the smoke detectors batteries you bought when you moved in?
You did install smoke detectors,,, right?

I sure hope you purchased this home as a "fixer upper" Most of the houses I
have worked on from that era had 2 to 4 circuits for the whole house.
Nothing was dedicated for heavy appliances. Washers ~15-20 amps when
spinning, dishwashers with heat on ~18 amps, etc.

You want a ball park and we do not even know what planet your on.

Last one I did in Phoenix cost the little old lady $2300 for a complete
rewire and new 150 amp service. We brought every thing up to the code at
the time. We had to junction box all of the walls in the ceiling. Fished
down each wall and installed a new box and wiring. She worked during the
day so we had to work on weekends to accommodate her schedule. Took 4
weekends to finish with me and 2 helpers. House was ~800 sqft.

Get a pro to help/guide you. Yes some of the work can be done by lesser
skilled folks, but knowing how and why is the real trick. You might be able
to find someone to work with you.

hwm54112

You have "knob and tube" wiring, the porcelain discs being the "knobs"
(insulators) and probably porcelain tubes where some of the wires go
through framing. Get an old guy to fix it.

--
hwm54112
hwm54112's Profile: http://www.homeplot.com/member.php?userid=127