m Ransley

Default Concrete roof tiles repair question

Any missing tiles and you will leak through any holes in the paper, yes
screws are best in high wind areas. Basicly its a total redo, caulk is
never the right way. Tile roofs last hundreds of years, caulk is a joke.

miamicuse

I don't think insurance will pay for a total redo. Most they will pay for
is cost to replace the broken tiles. I don't know what to do with the
shifted tiles either. They are now just sitting on my roof on their own
weight not even the concrete cement is holding it.

MC

"m Ransley" wrote in message
Any missing tiles and you will leak through any holes in the paper, yes
screws are best in high wind areas. Basicly its a total redo, caulk is
never the right way. Tile roofs last hundreds of years, caulk is a joke.

m Ransley

Read your policy , its wind damage so insurance should pay.

Posted to alt.home.repair
GarDavis

Well, I did basically the same thing, I went up on the roof and put the
top "cap" tiles back in place. Most were intact, one totally destroyed
when it fell off the roof, thru my screen porch screen roof. A few fell
to the grass and then are ok. a few were cracked into about 3-4 pieces.

The cracked ones should be repairable with the RT-600 adhesive if I can
find any - Home Depot is always out of it. The adhesive will also
cement the cement tiles back in place. I'm not sure where to replace
the one that was destroyed.

I was worried about walking on the roof and cracking tiles but that
didn't happen. I read that you should put your weight on the ends of
the tiles and walk horizontally and not up and down the roof. It was a
bit scary since I have a 2-story house, but after I got comfortable
with it, I took a good look around and had a beautiful view.

I did have some tiles that slid down and had to be pushed back into
place. I wish I kept track of them to apply the adhesive. Some are
cracked and will have to be repaired.

I have no idea how much it would have cost to hire someone to do this.
It is a fairly easy job if you can handle the heights and are careful.
One of the trickiest parts was getting back on the ladder to go down. I
had the ladder about 5 ft. higher than the roof edge - maybe it should
be lower to be able to step into it instead of around it.

Gary Davis

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Tiles-copper or stainless nails are 100 yr products, adhesive caulk 5-10
yr, you dont mix the 2. Mortar is better on the cap

Posted to alt.home.repair
Don

"miamicuse" wrote in message
I don't think insurance will pay for a total redo. Most they will pay for
is cost to replace the broken tiles. I don't know what to do with the
shifted tiles either. They are now just sitting on my roof on their own
weight not even the concrete cement is holding it.

You never know til you try.
After Charley my cousin got a bid to replace all the tile roof on his house
for $9k, the insurance co. gave him $12k.
He put the extra $3k down on a new 23' Wellcraft.

Posted to alt.home.repair
GarDavis

I made my 2nd trip up to the roof over the weekend to adhesive the
tiles to the roof and fix the cracked tiles. I noticed that even the
cap tiles that were not blown off were really not glued down. I applied
the RT-600 to all the tiles that were dislodged as well as some that
were just sitting there. No wonder so many roofs had their cap tiles
blown off - only gravity was holding them there, apparently.

Also, having the ladder just a foot or so above the roof edge made it
much easier getting off and back on it.

Gary