Timo

Default disposal rusted mounting flange and leak

We had a replacement Kitchen Master garbage disposal installed under
warranty a couple of years ago by the appliance company that sold it to
us originally. The mounting flange is all rusted and there's water
leaking from that area. Can leaks like this happen over time even if the
installation was done properly? Or would it be reasonable for me to call
the company who installed it to complain about their workmanship?
Thanks
Timo
Edwin Pawlowski

"Timo" wrote in message
. ..
We had a replacement Kitchen Master garbage disposal installed under
warranty a couple of years ago by the appliance company that sold it to us
originally. The mounting flange is all rusted and there's water leaking
from that area. Can leaks like this happen over time even if the
installation was done properly? Or would it be reasonable for me to call
the company who installed it to complain about their workmanship?
Thanks
Timo

I'm not familiar with that brand, but if the mounting flange is rusted, you
have a crap disposal. A good stainless steel flange setup will not rust in
many years. But a better brand (Kitchen Aid, ISE, etc, and be done with
it.

BobK207

I agree w/ Ed.

I installed ISE disposals in my house & my parents' home YEARS ago.

The flanges currently in use are from 2 or 3 disposals back!

I stick with ISE so I can just "twist lock" them off & install the new
unit; done in way less than an hour, start to finish

I just toss the new flanges rather mess with them.

What material is your flange? Pretty hard rust out a decent SS flange.

Timo

If I understand the gist of your replies, you both agree that it's
material, not workmanship? Do I have a basis from griping with the
company that installed it? Did they choose a cheapo flange?
Timo

BobK207 wrote:
I agree w/ Ed.

I installed ISE disposals in my house & my parents' home YEARS ago.

The flanges currently in use are from 2 or 3 disposals back!

I stick with ISE so I can just "twist lock" them off & install the new
unit; done in way less than an hour, start to finish

I just toss the new flanges rather mess with them.

What material is your flange? Pretty hard rust out a decent SS flange.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Timo" wrote in message ...
If I understand the gist of your replies, you both agree that it's
material, not workmanship? Do I have a basis from griping with the company
that installed it? Did they choose a cheapo flange?
Timo

Are you talking about the visible flange in the sink opening? Does the
flange have the KA logo embossed on it? Mine does. It has been in place
for about 18 years and it is perfect condition. I'm not sure just what you
have as the KA has nothing that would rust out. If the installer did
something else, you have a gripe against him.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

BobK207

Is the sink a cast iron unit? Is rust from the sink transferring to
the disposal flange?

In my experience I cannot think of a situation where the part I'm
thinking about can rust out.

It's the large diameter flanged ring that reaches through the sink and
screws together with the remainder of the adapter that the disposal
mounts on (ISE type)

Maybe you caould take some pictures of the parts in question.

cheers
Bob

Timo

The KA flange in the drain, visible when looking down at the sink, is
still in very good condition. It's the mounting flange under the sink
that is all rusty. Upon closer inspection, when looking up at the sink
from below, it seems the sink itself, all around the circumference of
the drain, may be corroded. We'll have to remove the disposal to see for
sure.
Timo

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Timo" wrote in message ...

If I understand the gist of your replies, you both agree that it's
material, not workmanship? Do I have a basis from griping with the company
that installed it? Did they choose a cheapo flange?
Timo

Are you talking about the visible flange in the sink opening? Does the
flange have the KA logo embossed on it? Mine does. It has been in place
for about 18 years and it is perfect condition. I'm not sure just what you
have as the KA has nothing that would rust out. If the installer did
something else, you have a gripe against him.

Edwin Pawlowski

-- "Timo" wrote in message
The KA flange in the drain, visible when looking down at the sink, is
still in very good condition. It's the mounting flange under the sink that
is all rusty. Upon closer inspection, when looking up at the sink from
below, it seems the sink itself, all around the circumference of the
drain, may be corroded. We'll have to remove the disposal to see for sure.
Timo

Sounds like a cast iron sink that has lost the coating. Paint may help.

George E. Cawthon

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Timo" wrote in message ...

If I understand the gist of your replies, you both agree that it's
material, not workmanship? Do I have a basis from griping with the
company that installed it? Did they choose a cheapo flange?
Timo

Are you talking about the visible flange in the sink opening? Does
the flange have the KA logo embossed on it? Mine does. It has been
in place for about 18 years and it is perfect condition. I'm not sure
just what you have as the KA has nothing that would rust out. If the
installer did something else, you have a gripe against him.

That top flange is supposed to be set in plumber
putty. Maybe some one didn't use putty to seal
the flange to the sink. If the sink is really
rusted, you may need to buy another sink.
Otherwise just get a new nut and gasket.