Smoke alarm goes off when it's cold (?)

Old November 12th 05, 04:50 PM
Roger

Default Smoke alarm goes off when it's cold (?)

Hi all, I like to heat only the rooms we spend time in during the winter
with space heaters. Now that it's getting colder I have the problem of
the household smoke detecters going off at night. It only happens in
the colder months. Anyone know why this is?

Thanks,
Rog
Old November 12th 05, 05:26 PM
Bennett Price

Suspect marginally dead batteries. Try putting in a new alkaline
battery (presumably 9V) and see what happens.

Old November 12th 05, 06:23 PM
Jim Yanik

Bennett Price wrote in
. com:

Roger wrote:
Hi all, I like to heat only the rooms we spend time in during the
winter with space heaters. Now that it's getting colder I have the
problem of the household smoke detecters going off at night. It only
happens in the colder months. Anyone know why this is?

Thanks,
Rog

Put a 9V lithium battery in;they are much less affected by cold temps,and
their life is WAY longer.For something important like a smoke detector,the
extra cost would be trivial.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old November 12th 05, 07:31 PM
Joseph Meehan

Roger wrote:
Hi all, I like to heat only the rooms we spend time in during the
winter with space heaters. Now that it's getting colder I have the
problem of the household smoke detecters going off at night. It only
happens in the colder months. Anyone know why this is?

Thanks,
Rog

As indicated batteries are a good suspect. You also may want to check
the specs to see what the operating temperature range is.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Old November 12th 05, 07:50 PM
SQLit

"Roger" wrote in message
Hi all, I like to heat only the rooms we spend time in during the winter
with space heaters. Now that it's getting colder I have the problem of
the household smoke detecters going off at night. It only happens in
the colder months. Anyone know why this is?

Thanks,
Rog

"during the winter with space heaters. "

If it aint the batteries like others have said, time to look at the vapors
the space heaters are emitting.

Old November 12th 05, 10:23 PM
Jeff Wisnia

Roger wrote:

Hi all, I like to heat only the rooms we spend time in during the winter
with space heaters. Now that it's getting colder I have the problem of
the household smoke detecters going off at night. It only happens in
the colder months. Anyone know why this is?

Thanks,
Rog

If Batteries don't solve the problem consider this:

I've found that insects which come indoors when it starts to get cold
(like Box eEder beetles and Ladybugs) can crawl into some smoke
detectors and set them off.

A few shots of RAID around the outside of the smoke detectors usually
gets rid of them for quite a while.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Old November 12th 05, 10:43 PM
mm

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 11:50:17 -0500, Roger wrote:

Hi all, I like to heat only the rooms we spend time in during the winter
with space heaters. Now that it's getting colder I have the problem of
the household smoke detecters going off at night. It only happens in
the colder months. Anyone know why this is?

The new battery advice is good.

You don't say if the alarms go off in the rooms where and when the
space heaters are on, or where they are off, or where there aren't
any.

Or what kinds of space heater you use.

I have wire coil space heaters that are at least as old as 1947. They
work fine. But I can imagine that if dust from the summer, or any
other dust, landed on the coil, as some of it must, it could be heated
to the burning point, maybe, when the heater was on.

If this we were a common problem, I think it would say so in the smoke
alarm instructions, but maybve your heaters are especially dusty or
dirty, maybe because they haven't been used for a long time.

Thanks,
Rog

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
Old November 13th 05, 02:36 AM
Dan Deckert

How about it gets to cold and the detectors go thru metal contraction and
cause direct short to contacts?
Thereby setting off the detectors?

Dan

Old November 15th 05, 12:17 AM
PipeDown

"Roger" wrote in message
Hi all, I like to heat only the rooms we spend time in during the winter
with space heaters. Now that it's getting colder I have the problem of
the household smoke detecters going off at night. It only happens in
the colder months. Anyone know why this is?

Thanks,
Rog

Usually a low battery makes it blip once in a while not false alarm, it
could be a battery but it shouldn't be.

I get false alarms on cool mornings when the shower is used (30 ft away in
MBR with bathroom door closed). Seems the detector cools to room temp
overnight which is typically cool and the steam makes its way (not much
either as it is not noticeable) to the photoelectric detector and condenses
where it sets off the alarm. I either need to pull out the battery or hold
it over an electric space heater to warm it up to make it stop (pressing the
button only works for a minute).

My detector is only a few months old and has 3 way detector (ionization,
photoelectric and CO) which is supposed to cut down on false alarms but it
does not.

Is there a source of water vapor near the detector like a coffee maker,
unvented gas space heater (!) or do you have steam radiators and the
thermostat turns them on just before the false alarm.

If you think it might be this, use a detector with an ionization detector
instead of photoelectric.

Also, smoke detectors have a 5-10 year life. Yours might just be too old.

Old November 15th 05, 02:58 PM
No

Dust - try and vacum them out.

power shower problems mp UK diy 15 May 14th 05 03:35 PM
smoke alarm question oreo123 Home Repair 9 March 13th 05 08:36 PM
Smoke (and other) Alarms - best suppliers of compatible ranges? [email protected] UK diy 33 December 6th 04 09:48 AM
Current sensing, I think?????? JSW Electronics 9 August 30th 03 09:35 AM
how do I ensure there is a cold water path to the boilers return BigWallop UK diy 0 July 3rd 03 01:59 PM