Roger

Default Smoke alarm goes off when it's cold (?)

Hi all, I like to heat only the rooms we spend time in during the winter
with space heaters. Now that it's getting colder I have the problem of
the household smoke detecters going off at night. It only happens in
the colder months. Anyone know why this is?

Thanks,
Rog

Jim Yanik

Bennett Price wrote in
. com:

Roger wrote:
Hi all, I like to heat only the rooms we spend time in during the
winter with space heaters. Now that it's getting colder I have the
problem of the household smoke detecters going off at night. It only
happens in the colder months. Anyone know why this is?

Thanks,
Rog

Put a 9V lithium battery in;they are much less affected by cold temps,and
their life is WAY longer.For something important like a smoke detector,the
extra cost would be trivial.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Joseph Meehan

Roger wrote:
Hi all, I like to heat only the rooms we spend time in during the
winter with space heaters. Now that it's getting colder I have the
problem of the household smoke detecters going off at night. It only
happens in the colder months. Anyone know why this is?

Thanks,
Rog

As indicated batteries are a good suspect. You also may want to check
the specs to see what the operating temperature range is.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

SQLit

"Roger" wrote in message
Hi all, I like to heat only the rooms we spend time in during the winter
with space heaters. Now that it's getting colder I have the problem of
the household smoke detecters going off at night. It only happens in
the colder months. Anyone know why this is?

Thanks,
Rog

"during the winter with space heaters. "

If it aint the batteries like others have said, time to look at the vapors
the space heaters are emitting.

Jeff Wisnia

Roger wrote:

Hi all, I like to heat only the rooms we spend time in during the winter
with space heaters. Now that it's getting colder I have the problem of
the household smoke detecters going off at night. It only happens in
the colder months. Anyone know why this is?

Thanks,
Rog

If Batteries don't solve the problem consider this:

I've found that insects which come indoors when it starts to get cold
(like Box eEder beetles and Ladybugs) can crawl into some smoke
detectors and set them off.

A few shots of RAID around the outside of the smoke detectors usually
gets rid of them for quite a while.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

mm

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 11:50:17 -0500, Roger wrote:

Hi all, I like to heat only the rooms we spend time in during the winter
with space heaters. Now that it's getting colder I have the problem of
the household smoke detecters going off at night. It only happens in
the colder months. Anyone know why this is?

The new battery advice is good.

You don't say if the alarms go off in the rooms where and when the
space heaters are on, or where they are off, or where there aren't
any.

Or what kinds of space heater you use.

I have wire coil space heaters that are at least as old as 1947. They
work fine. But I can imagine that if dust from the summer, or any
other dust, landed on the coil, as some of it must, it could be heated
to the burning point, maybe, when the heater was on.

If this we were a common problem, I think it would say so in the smoke
alarm instructions, but maybve your heaters are especially dusty or
dirty, maybe because they haven't been used for a long time.

Thanks,
Rog

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
Dan Deckert

How about it gets to cold and the detectors go thru metal contraction and
cause direct short to contacts?
Thereby setting off the detectors?

Dan

"Roger" wrote in message
Hi all, I like to heat only the rooms we spend time in during the winter
with space heaters. Now that it's getting colder I have the problem of
the household smoke detecters going off at night. It only happens in
the colder months. Anyone know why this is?

Thanks,
Rog

PipeDown

"Roger" wrote in message
Hi all, I like to heat only the rooms we spend time in during the winter
with space heaters. Now that it's getting colder I have the problem of
the household smoke detecters going off at night. It only happens in
the colder months. Anyone know why this is?

Thanks,
Rog

Usually a low battery makes it blip once in a while not false alarm, it
could be a battery but it shouldn't be.

I get false alarms on cool mornings when the shower is used (30 ft away in
MBR with bathroom door closed). Seems the detector cools to room temp
overnight which is typically cool and the steam makes its way (not much
either as it is not noticeable) to the photoelectric detector and condenses
where it sets off the alarm. I either need to pull out the battery or hold
it over an electric space heater to warm it up to make it stop (pressing the
button only works for a minute).

My detector is only a few months old and has 3 way detector (ionization,
photoelectric and CO) which is supposed to cut down on false alarms but it
does not.

Is there a source of water vapor near the detector like a coffee maker,
unvented gas space heater (!) or do you have steam radiators and the
thermostat turns them on just before the false alarm.

If you think it might be this, use a detector with an ionization detector
instead of photoelectric.

Also, smoke detectors have a 5-10 year life. Yours might just be too old.

No

Dust - try and vacum them out.

John A. Weeks III

In article ,
Bennett Price wrote:

Suspect marginally dead batteries. Try putting in a new alkaline
battery (presumably 9V) and see what happens.

I 2nd that advice. Batteries get weaker as they get colder.
Your batteries might be on the margin, and when they get colder,
they get right on the line where the detector sends a low battery
warning once in a while.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
The Real Tom

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 11:50:17 -0500, Roger wrote:

Hi all, I like to heat only the rooms we spend time in during the winter
with space heaters. Now that it's getting colder I have the problem of
the household smoke detecters going off at night. It only happens in
the colder months. Anyone know why this is?

Thanks,
Rog

This what I was TOLD to prevent such a problem you are having.

If you have ionizing types:
1. Check batteries. Voltage drops with temperature.
2. Check age on smoke detectors(as they get older they ionize less
and less, so the sensing chamber drops faster with any type of
dust/smoke/humidity). NFPA recommends replace every 10 years, but I
was told replace at end of warranty period(some 5 years) under harsh
conditions, since the company only guarantees it's function in the
warranty period.
3. Check for improper installation, if they are in colder rooms the
air gets denser than the smoke detectors were 'designed' for. Meaning
air at normal room temperature(68-75F) is less dense than air at 40F.
Dense air can appear like less-dense air with smoke in it. So this
creates for a false alarms.

Solutions I was given.....change over to photo-electric if I want to
use a POC (Products of Combustion) detector, or change over to a heat
based detector(fixed/rate of rise, depending on your installation
needs).

VERY IMPORTANT: Do not disable your current detectors, till you are
ready to install replacements. Better to have an over sensitive
detector than none.

I highly recommend you contact your fire company, they usually do a
free fire safety audit, and might have someone on staff(or could
recommend one) that is qualified to help you plan out your home's fire
alarms.

hth,

tom @ www.FindMeShelter.com
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

replying to The Real Tom, katykat wrote:
I had the fire chief in my town tell me it's because the room is warm and
above the smoke detector is cold. My detectors are hard wired to the ceiling.
He told me to unscrew them and let them hang when it's cold outside. I found
if I run my ceiling fan on low this also helps.

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...old-49577-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, November 12, 2005 at 10:50:17 AM UTC-6, Roger wrote:
Hi all, I like to heat only the rooms we spend time in during the winter
with space heaters. Now that it's getting colder I have the problem of
the household smoke detecters going off at night. It only happens in
the colder months. Anyone know why this is?

Thanks,
Rog

This post is 11 years old. Either the OP has been burned or the batteries are really finally dead.

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

replying to Bennett Price, Berma wrote:
I'm an electronics engineer, and have over the past year purchased several
Kidde Model i9040 ionization smoke detectors. I was annoyed to find almost
all of them, at one time or another, with fresh batteries, sound false
"Low-Battery" alarms in middle of cold nights. I verified that the batteries
are good, even when alarm is sounding, I can consistently measure more than 9
volts in every case - so it's not weak batteries, unless it maintains voltage
but not enough current? There is no moisture issue, in fact winter nights
here are cool. Inside temp that seems to be around 45-55F. What annoys me is
this is not unusual for many parts of my home on coldest nights. I've used
many brands of ionization detectors and never had this issue. Kidde needs to
solve this, as it could result in death or injury when we have to disable one
or more of them at night.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...old-49577-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, March 11, 2017 at 7:44:05 PM UTC-5, Berma wrote:
[...]

I've been trading emails with Kidde Customer Service over this past week. My
Combination Smoke CO alarm started chirping once every 60 seconds which is
supposed to be a low battery alarm but it's also supposed to be followed by the
"Low Battery" voice announcement. Mine didn't say a word. I tested the batteries
and they were fine. When I put them back in, the chirping stopped and hasn't
come back. That concerns me since the single chirp with no voice is not on the
table of indications for that unit.

Kidde said that it sounds like it's a battery problem and wanted to know what brand
I was using and what was the "sell by date".

Im waiting to hear what they'll say now that I told them that they are the 10 year
KIdde branded batteries that came with the unit when I bought if from their website
in 2015. If it really is a battery problem, then it's *their* problem. If it's not a battery
problem then it's still their problem because the unit must be defective.

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

replying to Berma, Silvanus wrote:
Thank you! We have an array of Kidde smoke detectors and since the
temperature dropped here they are going off at five in the morning for no
apparent reason. No moisture - except from two people breathing on the other
side of a door. No insects coordinating their activity to that hour. No
appliances on in the house. I think it is just one that is misbehaving and
setting off the others. I may swop them around to see what happens...

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...d-1126523-.htm

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

replying to Berma, bmay wrote:
If they are hardwired to AC why did the batteries even come in the play

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...d-1126523-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/10/2018 6:44 PM, bmay wrote:
replying to Berma, bmay wrote:
If they are hardwired to AC why did the batteries even come in the play

Because the batteries are there for backup in a power outage. They
notify you when week even if hard wired. Would you want to wait until a
power outage in a blizzard to find you need batteries?

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

replying to Berma, Louis Desmarais wrote:
The solution is to heat your house to at least 60 F. Batteries do not work as
well in cold temperatures thus causing the low battery alarm or chirp.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...d-1126523-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, December 10, 2018 at 8:47:17 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 12/10/2018 6:44 PM, bmay wrote:
replying to Berma, bmay wrote:
If they are hardwired to AC why did the batteries even come in the play

Because the batteries are there for backup in a power outage. They
notify you when week even if hard wired. Would you want to wait until a
power outage in a blizzard to find you need batteries?

What I can't figure out is why in some of them with both AC and batteries,
the batteries last a year or less? You would think those batteries
would last about their shelf life. A friend's house, new construction,
has that problem. They chirp and there are so many that it's hard
to figure out which one it even is. There are a bunch of them and in
all, the batteries last maybe a year. I was wondering if instead of them
being really low, there is some clock in there that forces you to replace
them every year? Makes no sense to me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, December 15, 2018 at 10:44:05 AM UTC-5, Louis Desmarais wrote:
replying to Berma, Louis Desmarais wrote:
The solution is to heat your house to at least 60 F. Batteries do not work as
well in cold temperatures thus causing the low battery alarm or chirp.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...d-1126523-.htm

I agree, that's the phenomena, batteries will have a lower voltage when
cold. But it's telling you the battery is at the end of it's life and
needs to be replaced.
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

replying to PipeDown, Arlene wrote:
Do you think a humidifier could do this, oR a very cold attic?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...old-49577-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair
% % is offline

On 2019-02-01 1:44 p.m., Arlene wrote:
replying to PipeDown, Arlene wrote:
Do you think a humidifier could do this, oR a very cold attic?

the rise in temperature can do it when the furnace comes on

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2019-02-01 1:44 p.m., Arlene wrote:
replying to PipeDown, Arlene wrote:
Do you think a humidifier could do this, oR a very cold attic?

the rise in temperature can do it when the furnace comes on

I don't know how that's possible. All the home smoke detectors I've
seen use photo sensing or ionization to look for smoke and don't
respond to temperature changes. A humidifier shouldn't be tripping
it either, it just puts humidity in the air. However a cold attic
with missing insulation that results in a cold ceiling and a cold
smoke detector and a humidifier turned up too high could result in
moisture condensing inside the smoke detector. And water and electronics
don't mix well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2019-02-01 1:44 p.m., Arlene wrote:
replying to PipeDown, Arlene wrote:
Do you think a humidifier could do this, oR a very cold attic?

the rise in temperature can do it when the furnace comes on

I don't know how that's possible. All the home smoke detectors
I've seen use photo sensing or ionization to look for smoke and
don't respond to temperature changes.

Some do respond to temperature changes.

A humidifier shouldn't be tripping it
either, it just puts humidity in the air.

But badly designed ones can produce steam.

power shower problems mp UK diy 15 May 14th 05 04:35 PM
smoke alarm question oreo123 Home Repair 9 March 13th 05 09:36 PM
Smoke (and other) Alarms - best suppliers of compatible ranges? [email protected] UK diy 33 December 6th 04 10:48 AM
Current sensing, I think?????? JSW Electronics 9 August 30th 03 10:35 AM
how do I ensure there is a cold water path to the boilers return BigWallop UK diy 0 July 3rd 03 02:59 PM