How level does the floor has to be for laminate flooring

Old November 9th 05, 12:45 AM
rkhazin

Default How level does the floor has to be for laminate flooring

Hi,

I am planning to lay laminate flooring over the entire basement floor
but 60% of it is covered by 1/8" vinyl tiles and the rest bare
concrete. Can I lay over it as is or do I need to level the floor first
by stripping all the tiles or perhaps cover the bare concrete with 1/8"
linoleum.
Suggestions?

Ray

Old November 9th 05, 12:52 AM
[email protected]

rkhazin wrote:
Hi,

I am planning to lay laminate flooring over the entire basement floor
but 60% of it is covered by 1/8" vinyl tiles and the rest bare
concrete. Can I lay over it as is or do I need to level the floor first
by stripping all the tiles or perhaps cover the bare concrete with 1/8"
linoleum.
Suggestions?

Ray

Greetings,

1/8" is too much. Harbor Freight tools had a cheap pneumatic floor
scraper on special not too long ago. That might make your job a lot
easier. If a) it is still on special and b) you buy it for this one
job let me know and I might buy it from you for a reduced price used.
Otherwise I will just wait until it goes on special again.

Hope this helps,
William

Old November 9th 05, 01:11 AM
Bert

rkhazin wrote:
Hi,

I am planning to lay laminate flooring over the entire basement floor
but 60% of it is covered by 1/8" vinyl tiles and the rest bare
concrete. Can I lay over it as is or do I need to level the floor first
by stripping all the tiles or perhaps cover the bare concrete with 1/8"
linoleum.
Suggestions?

Ray

Couldn't you just use floor leveling compound to feather out the
difference?

MikeB

Old November 9th 05, 01:12 AM
Colbyt

"rkhazin" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I am planning to lay laminate flooring over the entire basement floor
but 60% of it is covered by 1/8" vinyl tiles and the rest bare
concrete. Can I lay over it as is or do I need to level the floor first
by stripping all the tiles or perhaps cover the bare concrete with 1/8"
linoleum.
Suggestions?

Ray

At the risk of sounding unhelpful, may I suggest you read and follow the
directions included with the product.

I seem to recall 1/8" deviation in X feet. Yes you are going to need to
remove the tiles. After you do that you may still need to skim coat and
level the floor. Most basement floors do not meet the minimum standards set
for a proper laminate installation. Concrete floors may look level but they
aren't.

Colbyt

Old November 9th 05, 01:35 AM
[email protected]

Have you given thought to any moisture problem perhaps affecting that
laminated flooring? I think I would want to be sure there was no
moisture coming up through the concrete..

Jack

Old November 9th 05, 03:02 AM
Sacramento Dave

"rkhazin" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I am planning to lay laminate flooring over the entire basement floor
but 60% of it is covered by 1/8" vinyl tiles and the rest bare
concrete. Can I lay over it as is or do I need to level the floor first
by stripping all the tiles or perhaps cover the bare concrete with 1/8"
linoleum.
Suggestions?

Ray

Are you talking a Floating or Glue down Floor.

Old November 9th 05, 04:24 AM
James \Cubby\ Culbertson

" wrote in message
oups.com...

1/8" is too much. Harbor Freight tools had a cheap pneumatic floor
scraper on special not too long ago. That might make your job a lot
easier. If a) it is still on special and b) you buy it for this one
job let me know and I might buy it from you for a reduced price used.
Otherwise I will just wait until it goes on special again.

Hope this helps,
William

If it's this one,
it's on sale now. Not sure if you saw it lower. I'm picking one up this
week to work on my floor.....long story made short,
I'm having to remove self leveling concrete from the floor I was trying to
flatten. I hope it works!
Cheers,
cc

Home Depot Flooring Geoff Woodworking 13 June 8th 05 10:23 PM
Rollie's Dad's method artfulbodger Metalworking 73 May 18th 05 12:14 AM
Engineered Flooring or Solid HW? James \Cubby\ Culbertson Woodworking 7 March 17th 05 12:31 AM
Laser level??? Sorta........ Tom Metalworking 9 December 30th 03 11:19 AM
Laying Concrete Flooring John UK diy 5 September 24th 03 08:15 AM