JJ

Default Bug identification help

Help! First it was the invasion of the Asian Beetles that look like
ladybugs, now we're being overwhelmed with a new bug and I could use some
help identifying it.

It is black, has 6 legs and is a half-inch long. Body width of
quarter-inch.

It has two antennae, which are almost as long as its body.

It can fly, but it mostly walks on the windows in sunny locations.

When the wings open, they are bright orange, almost the same color as
ladybugs. When they are closed, they form a /\ on the top of the bug body.
It's like an orange detail stripe.

They began appearing after our first freeze and just like the Asian beetles,
are trying to make their way indoors. There are hundreds of them all over
our windows and doors, in sunny locations, and of course every time you open
the door, some make there way in.

I'm in Wisconsin and have never seen these before. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Doug Miller

In article , "JJ" wrote:
Help! First it was the invasion of the Asian Beetles that look like
ladybugs, now we're being overwhelmed with a new bug and I could use some
help identifying it.

It is black, has 6 legs and is a half-inch long. Body width of
quarter-inch.

It has two antennae, which are almost as long as its body.

It can fly, but it mostly walks on the windows in sunny locations.

When the wings open, they are bright orange, almost the same color as
ladybugs. When they are closed, they form a /\ on the top of the bug body.
It's like an orange detail stripe.

Sounds like boxelder beetles. Do they look like this?
http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/insect/05522.html

--
Regards,

m Ransley

Boxelder beatles? They are harmless looking to overwinter in your
walls.

JJ

Thanks Doug,

First trip to the plate and I think you hit a homerun!
Trouble is we don't have any box elders and have never had this problem
before this fall. I'm a little stumped??

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article , "JJ"
wrote:
Help! First it was the invasion of the Asian Beetles that look like
ladybugs, now we're being overwhelmed with a new bug and I could use some
help identifying it.

It is black, has 6 legs and is a half-inch long. Body width of
quarter-inch.

It has two antennae, which are almost as long as its body.

It can fly, but it mostly walks on the windows in sunny locations.

When the wings open, they are bright orange, almost the same color as
ladybugs. When they are closed, they form a /\ on the top of the bug
body.
It's like an orange detail stripe.

Sounds like boxelder beetles. Do they look like this?
http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/insect/05522.html

--
Regards,

dadiOH

JJ wrote:
Thanks Doug,

First trip to the plate and I think you hit a homerun!
Trouble is we don't have any box elders and have never had this
problem before this fall. I'm a little stumped??

The bugs expect you to provide the box elders

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Doug Miller

In article , "JJ" wrote:
Thanks Doug,

First trip to the plate and I think you hit a homerun!

Your description was pretty thorough.

Trouble is we don't have any box elders and have never had this problem
before this fall. I'm a little stumped??

I imagine one of your neighbors has a box elder. I don't have any on my
property either, but I found a large swarm of the bugs on the front of my
garage last weekend. Presumably there's a box elder somewhere in my
neighborhood. Or perhaps they infest other species of trees as well?

--
Regards,

dicko

The Boxelder tree is a member of the Maple family so any maple can
serve as food for these guys....

They're as bad as ladybugs at this time of year.

I also get inundated with Western Conifer Seed bugs here in N.
Illinois. I call them the evil threesome, ladybugs, boxelder bugs, and
WCSB. Between the three of them, life is pretty bad at my house...

dickm

.. On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 16:40:19 GMT, "JJ" wrote:

Thanks Doug,

First trip to the plate and I think you hit a homerun!
Trouble is we don't have any box elders and have never had this problem
before this fall. I'm a little stumped??

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
m...