Robert11

Default Chainsaw Usage Question From First Time Chainsaw User ?

Hello:

May be a duplicate. OE acting up again

Have just bought a gas powered chainsaw to try and cut up a tree trunk that
fell in my yard.
Not that large, but too much for a hand saw.

Have never used a chain saw before. Frankly, it scares the heck out of me;
not looking forward to using it.

Anyway, have this question:

It's been raining a bit here.
Should the trunk be "totally" dry before trying to cut it up, or, as the
rain water probably never
penetrates more than an inch or so, I would expect, it really doesn't matter
?

Or, does it ?

Would there be more chance of a "kickback" if wet ?

What should I probably be asking ?

Any hints would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

ameijers

"Robert11" wrote in message
[...]

If a tree fell in your yard (presumably from weather), did any neighbors
have the same problem? If so, keep watch out your window, and when one of
them starts to cut up their tree, go out and watch, and ask questions.
Explain that you just bought a saw, and need some 'chainsawing for dummies'
lessons. Most chain saw owners I know love to show them off, and in exchange
for a little work carrying logs as they are cut, would likely be happy to
give a little instruction.

Seriously, this is one of the typical homeowner tools that can hurt you Real
Bad if you aren't paying attention. Boots, leather gloves, and eye and ear
protection are called for. If you can't find an actual live human to get a
lesson from, check the library or bookstore (or Amazon) for 'how to' books
or tapes. Somebody probably has a website, even. (Checks Google) Try
http://muextension.missouri.edu/xplo...gin/g01959.htm , the
first of several thousand hits searching on 'how to use a chainsaw'.

Once you get past the fear, chainsaws can be fun. Hope they sold you a
sharpening kit with the saw- those chains can get dull fast.

aem sends...

Robert11

Hello:

Much thanks for all the info.
Really appreciate it.
Just what i wanted.

Bob

--------------
"Robert11" wrote in message
[...]

Rob

Robert11 wrote:
Hello:

May be a duplicate. OE acting up again

Have just bought a gas powered chainsaw to try and cut up a tree trunk that
fell in my yard.
Not that large, but too much for a hand saw.

Have never used a chain saw before. Frankly, it scares the heck out of me;
not looking forward to using it.

Anyway, have this question:

It's been raining a bit here.
Should the trunk be "totally" dry before trying to cut it up, or, as the
rain water probably never
penetrates more than an inch or so, I would expect, it really doesn't matter
?

Or, does it ?

Would there be more chance of a "kickback" if wet ?

What should I probably be asking ?

Any hints would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

There is not really a problem cutting wet wood at all, but since you
have never used a chainsaw before you might want to wait for a dry day
just so you have your footing and everything is as dry as posible for
your initial use.

Rob
NE PA, USA