Kitchen cabinet veneer fading - how to repair?

Old October 28th 05, 03:23 AM
Steven L Umbach

Default Kitchen cabinet veneer fading - how to repair?

We have pretty decent Homecrest raised oak cabinets of medium oak stain in
our kitchen but the sides are veneer and an upper cabinet in particular by
the kitchen window over the sink has considerable fade in the veneer driving
my wife crazy. Where can I go to find a iron veneer of matching color or can
the veneer otherwise be refinished? Another option I am looking at is to get
some matching cabinet doors to attach to the sides if I can get a size that
looks good. I see that a lot when I go to home centers. If I go that route
what is the best way to attach the doors to the sides. I figure some type of
adhesive around the backside edges of the door and then maybe use some
clamps to hold on to the side where I can use clamps and maybe a couple
finish nails on the other and at the top?? Thanks for any help. --- Steve

Old October 28th 05, 04:17 AM
Roger Taylor

"Steven L Umbach" wrote in message
. ..
We have pretty decent Homecrest raised oak cabinets of medium oak stain
in our kitchen but the sides are veneer and an upper cabinet in particular
by the kitchen window over the sink has considerable fade in the veneer
driving my wife crazy. Where can I go to find a iron veneer of matching
color or can the veneer otherwise be refinished? Another option I am
looking at is to get some matching cabinet doors to attach to the sides if
I can get a size that looks good. I see that a lot when I go to home
centers. If I go that route what is the best way to attach the doors to
the sides. I figure some type of adhesive around the backside edges of the
door and then maybe use some clamps to hold on to the side where I can use
clamps and maybe a couple finish nails on the other and at the top??
Thanks for any help. --- Steve

We had the same challenge. Solid oak doors and facing, and plastique
photo-impressed woodgrain sides and ends. Just cleaned and sanded the
plastic veneer, then primed and painted it a satin finish alkyd pale green
paint that went well with the oak and the walls. Looked great. Using solid
doors on the ends is indeed a possibility, but the match may be difficult to
make, and doing it without it looking somewhat botched is quite difficult,
getting the edges and joins well done.. It also changes the style a bit.

Old October 28th 05, 05:27 PM
nospambob

Instead of replacing the veneer consider a gel stain that stays on the
surface instead of penetrating the raw wood. Look around at
www.refinishwizard.com forum and ask questions as they're very
responsive.