Frank

Default Fireplace screen seal

I just installed a pre-fab fireplace screen-- glass doors/screen/ metal
frame. One of my objectives in doing this was to control air flow into the
fireplace. The metal frame does not fit exactly flush with the brick
exterior leaving some space for air to come in. Ideally, I would like to
use some sort of fire-proof calking to seal the frame to the brick from the
inside. Is there such a product??? Any recommendations. Thanks

Ralph Mowery

"Frank" wrote in message
news
I just installed a pre-fab fireplace screen-- glass doors/screen/ metal
frame. One of my objectives in doing this was to control air flow into
the
fireplace. The metal frame does not fit exactly flush with the brick
exterior leaving some space for air to come in. Ideally, I would like to
use some sort of fire-proof calking to seal the frame to the brick from

the
inside. Is there such a product??? Any recommendations. Thanks

Is the glass rated to be closed while the fire is in use ? Many fireplace
glass doors must be open while the fire is burning.

Michael Strickland

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 01:21:39 GMT, Frank wrote:

I just installed a pre-fab fireplace screen-- glass doors/screen/ metal
frame. One of my objectives in doing this was to control air flow into the
fireplace. The metal frame does not fit exactly flush with the brick
exterior leaving some space for air to come in. Ideally, I would like to
use some sort of fire-proof calking to seal the frame to the brick from the
inside. Is there such a product??? Any recommendations. Thanks

As mentioned by another poster, you should make sure that the glass is rated
to handle being closed while burning before you close them while burning a
fire. According to the instructions I've seen with glass doors, they are more
for show than anything else. They can be closed when the fire has died back,
but are not intended for controlling the size of the fire. Claims of stopping
air flow up the flue during the off season are probably exaggerated since the
panels (at least on any glass doors I've seen) do not form an airtight seal.

As to filling the crack, you can use the caulking material (don't recall the
product name offhand) designed for wood stoves. It comes in a regular
caulking gun tube and is as easy to apply as normal caulk. Since winter is
approaching, I would think that you can find it at most home improvement
stores - it's a seasonal item in some of them I found out (I found it in the
paint dept with the rest of the caulk during the off season). Just ask for
the stuff to seal a wood stove - and don't let the idiot get away with
showing you the fiberglass rope/strips, although, if the crack is wide, you
might consider putting some of that material into the crack before caulking.

Mike

Later, Mike

tgilb

"Frank" wrote in message
news
I just installed a pre-fab fireplace screen-- glass doors/screen/ metal
frame. One of my objectives in doing this was to control air flow into
the
fireplace. The metal frame does not fit exactly flush with the brick
exterior leaving some space for air to come in. Ideally, I would like to
use some sort of fire-proof calking to seal the frame to the brick from

the
inside. Is there such a product??? Any recommendations. Thanks

I routinely need to remove my fireplace doors to clean the box and chimney.
Would be difficult to do if caulked in place.