Keith

Default Space Heater ?

I am looking for the best space heater I can get for a 13 x 13 bedroom. Its
upstairs in an old 2 story farmhouse. Theres no windbreak and the outside
wall faces west. I really didn't want to run a gasline up there. 110v or
220v wouldn't be a problem. Last winter we used a Lakewood oil-filled
radiator, but it didn't quite do the job.

Nehmo

- Keith -
I am looking for the best space heater I can get for a 13 x 13

bedroom. Its
upstairs in an old 2 story farmhouse. Theres no windbreak and the

outside
wall faces west. I really didn't want to run a gasline up there. 110v

or
220v wouldn't be a problem. Last winter we used a Lakewood oil-filled
radiator, but it didn't quite do the job.

- Nehmo -
I'll answer assuming you're rich or can steal the electricity. If you're
not in either category, get a few dogs or a harem or both. Electric
blankets, called warming blankets nowadays, are pretty good too.

If your Lakewood was a 5051 (# on the UL label), it was recalled.
http://www.lakewoodeng.com/html/safety.html

The higher the wattage, the more heat the unit will produce - and the
more it will cost to operate.

Since new models come out every winter, any recommendation should be
general. Go to Wal-Mart, your warehouse store, or Home Depot and look at
the ones on display (the non-portable kind, if that's what you want,
probably won't be on display). I like the ones with fans, but you may
not want the noise, even though it's not much.

Another possibility is a propane heater using a tank. You won't need to
run a line and it'll be cheaper than electric.

Froozle, space heater electric: http://snipurl.com/j1wk

--
)|||(__ Nehmo __)|||(

Edwin Pawlowski

Keith wrote:
I am looking for the best space heater I can get for a 13 x 13
bedroom. Its upstairs in an old 2 story farmhouse. Theres no
windbreak and the outside
wall faces west. I really didn't want to run a gasline up there. 110v
or 220v wouldn't be a problem. Last winter we used a Lakewood
oil-filled
radiator, but it didn't quite do the job.

Sounds like you need more than a typical 1500 watt heater. If you have 220V
available, there are all sorts of baseboard heaters, wall mount heaters, etc
that will put out far more heat. They will, or course, be expensive to
operate.

If you have not done so, insulation is far cheaper than paying for heat.

--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Along with the other suggestions of first adding insulation and using
electric blankets - have you tried putting poly on the inside of your
windows to cut out any drafts?

I like the oil filled heaters for my application (110 volt max.) as they
produce an even heat and are quiet (no fans or that annoying
expansion/contraction tick-tick-tick you sometimes get with regular
baseboard heaters).

Some oil filled heaters allow for 600, 900 and 1,500 watt settings. I find
the 1,500 watt a little too scarry for my liking - as the cord gets pretty
warm after extended use.

If you can add circuits up there - I'd suggest going the 220 volt route -
with a good quality heater & wall mount thermostat.

If you are stuck at 110 volt & have 2 or more circuits up there - try 2 (or
more) oil filled heaters set to 600 watts on each circuit.

.... but do look at the insulation / poly route first.

"Keith" wrote in message
I am looking for the best space heater I can get for a 13 x 13 bedroom. Its
upstairs in an old 2 story farmhouse. Theres no windbreak and the outside
wall faces west. I really didn't want to run a gasline up there. 110v or
220v wouldn't be a problem. Last winter we used a Lakewood oil-filled
radiator, but it didn't quite do the job.

News==----
Newsgroups
=----