Edwin Pawlowski

Default How to Cut Bathroom Wash Basin?

"Jack CC" wrote in message

My new bathroom wash basin is too long and I like to cut 1-1/2" off
from both ends. If I use a circular saw, what type of saw (Numbers teeth)
should I use. I believe the basin is made of white "cement" and not
plastic
or fiberglass, with a thin top coat of transparent plastic.

Find out what it is really made from first. Wrong material and blade combo
can make a mess. In general, the more teeth the finer the cut.

Chris Lewis

According to Edwin Pawlowski :

"Jack CC" wrote in message

My new bathroom wash basin is too long and I like to cut 1-1/2" off
from both ends. If I use a circular saw, what type of saw (Numbers teeth)
should I use. I believe the basin is made of white "cement" and not
plastic
or fiberglass, with a thin top coat of transparent plastic.

Find out what it is really made from first. Wrong material and blade combo
can make a mess. In general, the more teeth the finer the cut.

Especially since I think someone describing a basin being made of "white cement
.... with a thin top coat of transparent plastic" is actually describing
a porcelain or ceramic sink. As in, you can't cut this with a hand
held circular saw. _Maybe_ a special diamond saw, but the results would
really be disgusting.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
PipeDown

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Jack CC" wrote in message

My new bathroom wash basin is too long and I like to cut 1-1/2" off
from both ends. If I use a circular saw, what type of saw (Numbers teeth)
should I use. I believe the basin is made of white "cement" and not
plastic
or fiberglass, with a thin top coat of transparent plastic.

Find out what it is really made from first. Wrong material and blade
combo can make a mess. In general, the more teeth the finer the cut.

If your sink is made of stone, cultured marble or a similar cement-like
material, use a diamond cutting blade. Use a wet blade and cut slowly.
Anything else will leave a jagged edge you will need to grind off. Blades
are available for any size circulat saw but something like this
http://cgi.ebay.com/4-3-8-in-Marble-...c mdZViewItem
would be adequate.

(not my auction, just an example)

PipeDown

Try the diamond saw you have first, make a practice cut 1" from the edge,
you may not need to sandwich it. Try the practice cut from the top and
bottom to see what is cleaner.

Sounds like you have a composite sink (basically epoxy and color fillers).
Any toothed blade might make a mess but you do have some room to practice
and test your method.

"Jack CC" wrote in message
On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 20:13:28 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

Thanks for your reply. I bought it from our local Habitat Store,
it's new and unused. They could not tell anything about it and
HD are not that helpful either.

From what I can gather, it look very likely some kind of white
cement as it's heavy and definitely not fiberglass, UHMW,
plastic or man made material. The basin back surfaces is
rough with small pitted holes. I am thinking of cutting it with
a diamond masonry 7" circular saw, sandwich both side with
plywood to prevent tearing. How does it sound to you?
Or I could buy a carbides saw, if so how many teeth should I buy?

Thanks again

"Jack CC" wrote in message

My new bathroom wash basin is too long and I like to cut 1-1/2" off
from both ends. If I use a circular saw, what type of saw (Numbers
teeth)
should I use. I believe the basin is made of white "cement" and not
plastic
or fiberglass, with a thin top coat of transparent plastic.

Find out what it is really made from first. Wrong material and blade
combo
can make a mess. In general, the more teeth the finer the cut.

Jack CC

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 21:00:21 GMT, "PipeDown" wrote:

Try the diamond saw you have first, make a practice cut 1" from the edge,
you may not need to sandwich it. Try the practice cut from the top and
bottom to see what is cleaner.

Sounds like you have a composite sink (basically epoxy and color fillers).
Any toothed blade might make a mess but you do have some room to practice
and test your method.

Thank you and everyone who contributed. I appreciate it. I will drill
a small hole first to see if it is concrete or man-made material. Again
test cut 1/2" (to be safe) from the edge with a diamond masonry circular
saw.

Thanks everyone again.

freestanding bathroom sink basin JK Home Repair 2 May 24th 05 10:54 PM
Fitting of half pedestal wash basin Justin Time UK diy 0 January 4th 05 12:46 PM
New wash basin not vertical Arthur UK diy 4 September 6th 04 09:55 PM
Pedestal wash basin Mark Webb UK diy 11 August 20th 04 05:36 PM
New bathroom Jonathan George UK diy 7 August 18th 04 09:40 PM