Jean

Default Seam Tape repair on ceiling

I'm looking for advice on a reasonably fast method of "re-attaching"
some seam tape that is peeling off my ceiling.

I am familiar with the "right" way to do this (remove old tape, use mesh
tape, mud the area, etc) but I'm thinking of just trying to reattach the
peeling tape. Why? The tape is at the apex of a 12ft cathedral ceiling
that is 55ft long and has a textured (knockdown) surface. So doing it
the "right way" would take much more time and effort than I want to spend.

Suggestions I've gotten so far a
- Use caulk under the tape to reattach it to the wallboard,
- Use some mud under the tape to reattach it to the wallboard,
- Use "white glue" (Elmer's ?) to reattach the tape,
- Use wallpaper glue to reattach the tape.

Anyone have any tried-and-true methods for doing this kind of "fast and
dirty" repair?

Thanks,

Jean
Roger Taylor

"Jean" wrote in message
I'm looking for advice on a reasonably fast method of "re-attaching" some
seam tape that is peeling off my ceiling. I am familiar with the "right"
way to do this (remove old tape, use mesh tape, mud the area, etc) but I'm
thinking of just trying to reattach the peeling tape. Why? The tape is at
the apex of a 12ft cathedral ceiling that is 55ft long and has a textured
(knockdown) surface. So doing it the "right way" would take much more time
and effort than I want to spend. Suggestions I've gotten so far a
- Use caulk under the tape to reattach it to the wallboard,
- Use some mud under the tape to reattach it to the wallboard,
- Use "white glue" (Elmer's ?) to reattach the tape,
- Use wallpaper glue to reattach the tape. Anyone have any tried-and-true
methods for doing this kind of "fast and dirty" repair?

I defer to very able taping/bedding colleagues on this newsgroup to advise
you on how exactly to repair the peeling tape, but I have concern that there
is more to this story. Peeling tape can indicate poor adhesion/workmanship,
high moisture, high temperature, or a roof leak, or some combo of these
possibilities. Task One should be to find what is doing this to the joints,
then proceed with repair, once the root problem is identified and fixed.

PipeDown

"Jean" wrote in message
[...]

I have successfully used Elmer's glue as the paper and wallboard are just
the perfect porosity for that glue. I have also used it to reattach falling
bits of popcorn (once it is painted, it can fall off in sheets if poorly
adhered) and wallpaper.

Do it soon before it degrades more.

Jean

Roger Taylor wrote:
"Jean" wrote in message

[...]

The ceiling has been like this from the beginning. There are no stains
on the ceiling (to indicate water dammage). From talking with my friends
in construction, I'm guessing that the builders either used too little
mud or that the mud was too thin.

Jean
Jean

PipeDown wrote:
"Jean" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks for the advice ...Elmer's sounds like a good solution since it
will reattach the sections without discoloring the area. If I happen to
slop a little on the good section of the seam, will I still be able to
paint over it?

Thanks,

Jean

Bob

"Jean" wrote in message ...
PipeDown wrote:
"Jean" wrote in message

[...]

It'll paint fine, although the texture may be different. You can put the glue on sparingly so it doesn't squeeze out,
the press it in place with sponge rubber covered with plastic to avoid sticking, and hold it in place till it dries with
a stick.

Bob