John Keith

Default Kenmore dryer door cracks open and shuts off

Does anyone have any experience with the following scenario on a
Kenmore dryer:

The door on this dryer has two metal cables on either side that go
inside the cabinet and attach to two springs that provide some tension
to close the door. But at this time the door is not held closed tight
enough and the door sensor switch opens and the dryer shuts off. The
springs and cables were both recently replaced (a 6 year old sat on
the door when it was open) and everything was fine for a couple of
weeks but now the above described problem is ocurring. I'm thinking
about sligthly beding the sensor switch but I'm open to anyone who has
previous experience with this configuration.

Thanks for your ideas.

John Keith

buffalobill

if it wasn't for the hazard to the kids you can jump the switch wires
and dry your clothes.
sounds like you need a new switch from:

http://www.repairclinic.com/0047_8.asp

Appliance Repair Aid

John Keith wrote:
Does anyone have any experience with the following scenario on a
Kenmore dryer:

The door on this dryer has two metal cables on either side that go
inside the cabinet and attach to two springs that provide some tension
to close the door. But at this time the door is not held closed tight
enough and the door sensor switch opens and the dryer shuts off. The
springs and cables were both recently replaced (a 6 year old sat on
the door when it was open) and everything was fine for a couple of
weeks but now the above described problem is ocurring. I'm thinking
about sligthly beding the sensor switch but I'm open to anyone who has
previous experience with this configuration.

Thanks for your ideas.

John Keith

Hi,

The cables and springs normally don't hold the door closed, they help
to support the door when it is opened. The door catch may be worn
enough to allow the door to open up during operation.

a 6 year old sat on
the door when it was open

The door/door hinges may be warped a bit.

Kenmore dryer

No model# posted, but this catch may help....
http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=3493

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

David Martel

John,

On my Kenmore, and yours may be different, there is a plastic door catch
next to the door switch. Look to see if this is broken because your door
catch is not working.

Dave M.

John Keith

On 3 Nov 2005 04:50:05 -0800, "Appliance Repair Aid"
wrote:

The cables and springs normally don't hold the door closed, they help
to support the door when it is opened.

Good point, when the door is closed the only force the cables exert is
in the upward direction so they really can't assist keeping the door
closed.

The door catch may be worn
enough to allow the door to open up during operation.

It is an older dryer.

a 6 year old sat on
the door when it was open

The door/door hinges may be warped a bit.

The youngster is small for her age but she certainly could have made
an "adjustment" to the mechanism.

Thank you Jeff and Bill for the pointer to the web page.

I'll look at the latches next time I'm at this woman's house and see
if replacing them might help.

John Keith

mm

On Wed, 02 Nov 2005 21:47:26 -0700, John Keith wrote:

But at this time the door is not held closed tight
enough and the door sensor switch opens and the dryer shuts off. The
springs and cables were both recently replaced (a 6 year old sat on
the door when it was open)

I think the solution is simple. Have the 6-year old hold the door
shut while the dryer is running.

It's only fair.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.