jaynews

Default Question about re-staining building /w solid-color stain

I live in a condo. The buildings in my development all have wood siding and
the association has always used a "solid color stain" which, to me, looks
the same as paint. Over time, older stain peels off the way paint peels
off.

They are in the process of re-staining a few of the buildings. It appears
(without my watching their every move) that they first using a pressure
washer to remove any peeling stain and then as much as week later, the are
applying (spraying) a brand new coat of stain over the siding which still
contains older stain (since...my understanding is that the pressure washing
does not remove all the old stain...only what was on the verge of peeling)
They are using sprayers to apply the new coat of stain.

Is the above the correct procedure for re-staining, or are they supposed to
strip off ALL of the old stain before applying new stain?

The reason I'm asking is there have been problems with peeling stain on a
couple of RECENTLY re-stained buildings.

Thanks.

JY

Goedjn

Is the above the correct procedure for re-staining, or are they supposed to
strip off ALL of the old stain before applying new stain?

The only way to get ALL of the old stain off would be to take
the siding with it.
Edwin Pawlowski

"jaynews" wrote in message
contains older stain (since...my understanding is that the pressure
washing does not remove all the old stain...only what was on the verge of
peeling) They are using sprayers to apply the new coat of stain.

Is the above the correct procedure for re-staining, or are they supposed
to strip off ALL of the old stain before applying new stain?

The reason I'm asking is there have been problems with peeling stain on a
couple of RECENTLY re-stained buildings.

The application is OK if everything is dry, cleaned etc. If the washing
leaves stain that is not showing a peel, but is lose, it will peel again
shortly. After the washing a prudent person would wire brush or scrape
anything still loose.