Repairing cracked shelf in refrigerator door

Old October 19th 05, 02:10 PM
[email protected]

Default Repairing cracked shelf in refrigerator door

The lower shelf on the door (molded plastic) in my 8-year-old
refrigerator is cracked on both ends -- any suggestions for how to
repair it?

I tried epoxy, but no luck -- the plastic is pretty thin and I don't
think there was enough surface area.

My appliance repair shop suggested duct tape, which would work, but
would be ugly and hard to clean.

I'm wondering if there is some kind of kit out there that will do the
trick?

Thanks,

John

Old October 19th 05, 02:51 PM
Doug Kanter

wrote in message
oups.com...
The lower shelf on the door (molded plastic) in my 8-year-old
refrigerator is cracked on both ends -- any suggestions for how to
repair it?

I tried epoxy, but no luck -- the plastic is pretty thin and I don't
think there was enough surface area.

My appliance repair shop suggested duct tape, which would work, but
would be ugly and hard to clean.

I'm wondering if there is some kind of kit out there that will do the
trick?

Thanks,

John

If you find a way, let me know. I've tried two different epoxies so far on
the vegetable drawer. No luck.

Old October 19th 05, 03:19 PM
EXT

I have repaired plastic fridge shelves/drawers with pop rivets to hold
stainless steel strapping across the break. This creates a "decorative" type
of repair as it looks like it should be there. The stainless steel straps
are about 1/2" wide and are leftovers from the straps used to anchor
road-side signs to utility poles by strapping around the pole. The excess is
cut off and that is what I used.

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

oups.com...

Old October 19th 05, 03:30 PM
Doug Kanter

Good idea, but then I'd want stainless steel EVERYTHING in the kitchen, and
I can't afford that. :-)

"EXT" etonks@sunstormADD-DOT-COM wrote in message
anews.com...
I have repaired plastic fridge shelves/drawers with pop rivets to hold
stainless steel strapping across the break. This creates a "decorative"
type
of repair as it looks like it should be there. The stainless steel straps
are about 1/2" wide and are leftovers from the straps used to anchor
road-side signs to utility poles by strapping around the pole. The excess
is
cut off and that is what I used.

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

oups.com...

Old October 20th 05, 12:03 AM
DanG

I had excellent success with a little dorm type box where the
bottle holder straps had ripped out and left large holes and some
cracking. Used grow foam, injected in the holes. The one I used
is a commercial product for setting/insulating windows that does
not triple expand and break things. It has been in service for a
few years now. I made new bottle rack fronts out of some
appropriate material because mine were missing, If I'd had factory
ones, I believe they would have reinstalled.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

oups.com...

Old October 20th 05, 03:42 AM
Rudy

I'm wondering if there is some kind of kit out there that will do the
trick?

Look in your phone book for "Industrial Plastic & Paint"..
They are plastic wizards. If you have one in your town, take the part in to
them and see what they recommend.

Old November 17th 05, 05:00 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Dan --

Many thanks for the great idea -- it worked! I used duct tape to hold
the shelf pieces together, then drilled a series of small holes in the
bottom of the shelf and sprayed the foam in. I couldn't find the
non-expanding type, so I sprayed very cautiously.

Since the fridge was on, it too much longer than usual to cure, but
once it did, the shelf was very solid -- certainly good enough to get
another 8 years out of the beast.

Thanks again,

John

DanG wrote:
I had excellent success with a little dorm type box where the
bottle holder straps had ripped out and left large holes and some
cracking. Used grow foam, injected in the holes. The one I used
is a commercial product for setting/insulating windows that does
not triple expand and break things. It has been in service for a
few years now. I made new bottle rack fronts out of some
appropriate material because mine were missing, If I'd had factory
ones, I believe they would have reinstalled.

(top posted for your convenience)
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

oups.com...

This Old Shelf? Tom Watson Woodworking 4 May 2nd 05 04:09 AM
my first builtin shelf... Luigi Zanasi Woodworking 4 March 1st 05 03:06 PM
The Shelf that Rearranged a Workshop - Long. Groggy Woodworking 18 January 5th 05 05:59 AM
Neanderthal-style Shelf Installation (long) Patrick Olguin Woodworking 11 April 5th 04 03:39 AM
Not really Home repair: Repairing cracked horn (antler) handles Bob Landry Home Repair 2 February 19th 04 03:24 AM