John

Default Granite Kitchen Counter Backsplashes?

I'm thinking of replacing my tile counters with its 24 inch tall tile
backsplashes and porcelain sink with granite slab counters and an undermount
stainless sink. The kitchen has linoleum flooring that will be replaced
with tile.
What is the best way to deal with backsplashes?
Make the backplash out of matching granite slab?
Make the backsplash out of the same tiles as the new flooring?
Make the backplash out of a contrasting tile?
Make the backsplash out of some other material?

tom

Only you can say, as it's mostly aesthetics. But those backsplashes,
especially behind the cooktop, can get greasy. Think about it.
Minimizing grout, which would be the most difficult to clean, is my
thinking. Tom

PipeDown

"John" wrote in message
I'm thinking of replacing my tile counters with its 24 inch tall tile
backsplashes and porcelain sink with granite slab counters and an
undermount stainless sink. The kitchen has linoleum flooring that will be
replaced with tile.
What is the best way to deal with backsplashes?
Make the backplash out of matching granite slab?
Make the backsplash out of the same tiles as the new flooring?
Make the backplash out of a contrasting tile?
Make the backsplash out of some other material?

I hear ya, you can do any of the above and choosing will be the hardest
thing you ever did. I am just as perplexed at choosing tile for my new
bathroom. There is not "Best Way" when it comes to cosmetic choices that
by definition is the way You like the best.

I am considering making a diarama and pasting printouts of photos of
different tiles to make my descision. Afterall, its not like paint, you
can't just paint over it and it cost a fortune.

evodawg

John wrote:

I'm thinking of replacing my tile counters with its 24 inch tall tile
backsplashes and porcelain sink with granite slab counters and an
undermount
stainless sink. The kitchen has linoleum flooring that will be replaced
with tile.
What is the best way to deal with backsplashes?
Make the backplash out of matching granite slab?
Make the backsplash out of the same tiles as the new flooring?
Make the backplash out of a contrasting tile?
Make the backsplash out of some other material?

The problem is, you have too many choices. Look into those new glass tiles
that will coordinate with the granite. The only place you get grease is
near the stove and that's about 3 feet of backsplash. So I would not worry
about clean up.

Rich
--
"you can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
John

I'm going to also replace the white-on-white appliances with stainless
steel. What about a stainless steel backsplash throughout the entire
kitchen? I think stainless backsplash may look good to me and match the new
appliances, but I don't want it to look bizarre to others if I sell later.
I think tall granite backsplashes matching the counters might look busy or
overwhelming.

"tom" wrote in message
ups.com...
Only you can say, as it's mostly aesthetics. But those backsplashes,
especially behind the cooktop, can get greasy. Think about it.
Minimizing grout, which would be the most difficult to clean, is my
thinking. Tom

Banty

In article , John says...

I'm thinking of replacing my tile counters with its 24 inch tall tile
backsplashes and porcelain sink with granite slab counters and an undermount
stainless sink. The kitchen has linoleum flooring that will be replaced
with tile.

Unless you're selling in a few years, it's all about taste. And taste is
personal. I've just answered these questions for my own kitchen (I plan to be
in my house a good while), so here's my two cents. (But remember, in the end
it's about what you like..)

What is the best way to deal with backsplashes?

Make the backplash out of matching granite slab?

Personally, I think this is "too much". I dont' like the look.

Make the backsplash out of the same tiles as the new flooring?

Floor tiles will generally be too large for a decent-looking backsplash. But
something that is much smaller can work nicely. This is closest to what I'm
going with - a mosaic of very similar colors floor tile (floor tile is
monochromatic 12" tile, backsplash 2 1/4 " mosiac backsplash similar shades,
green 1" tumbled glass for contrast)

Make the backplash out of a contrasting tile?

If it works with the countertop and floor well (and cabinets). Consider a glass
tile for this. I love that look.

Make the backsplash out of some other material?

I've seen some surprisingly nice setups with just plain painted walls for the
backsplash, painted beadboard. It's a clean look, not as plain-looking as it
sounds. Easy on the budget too. I've seen stainless steel - can't get into
that look but some folks rave about it.

Something to consider - I'm going with electrical strips mounted under the
cabinets to get away from all the outlets being cut out of the tile backsplash.

Banty

Craig A. Clarence

"Banty" wrote in message
In article , John says...

What is the best way to deal with backsplashes?

Make the backplash out of matching granite slab?

Personally, I think this is "too much". I dont' like the look.

I agree. We put dark granite slab counters in, and not knowing any better,
had the installer put in 6" backsplashes in the same granite color. Now we
regret it - it makes the kitchen seem smaller somehow. Closes it in, makes
it darker. I think the better look is to put in some kind of mosiac tile
backsplash, as mentioned below. Some of the new glass tiles would be really
nice for this.

Make the backsplash out of the same tiles as the new flooring?

Floor tiles will generally be too large for a decent-looking backsplash.
But
something that is much smaller can work nicely. This is closest to what
I'm
going with - a mosaic of very similar colors floor tile (floor tile is
monochromatic 12" tile, backsplash 2 1/4 " mosiac backsplash similar
shades,
green 1" tumbled glass for contrast)

Make the backplash out of a contrasting tile?

If it works with the countertop and floor well (and cabinets). Consider a
glass
tile for this. I love that look.

Shaun Eli

I have a blue Silestone countertop. I wanted navy blue tiles for the
backsplash and looked and looked but couldn't find any (checked Home
Depot and several tile stores). Well, I did find the color I wanted,
in one inch tiles-- the guy in the tile store told me they're pretty
much used only for swimming pools. So I went with white. Looks just
fine. Nobody has said that the backsplash has to match the countertop.
Plus, since Silestone is over an inch thick, using tiles instead gives
me a countertop that's an inch deeper. May not seem like much, but
when you have a lot of appliances...

Plus, tiles are cheaper than Silestone or granite.

Shaun Eli
www.BrainChampagne.com
Brain Champagne: Clever Comedy for the Smarter Audience (sm)

wkearney99

I'm going to also replace the white-on-white appliances with stainless
steel. What about a stainless steel backsplash throughout the entire
kitchen? I think stainless backsplash may look good to me and match the

new
appliances, but I don't want it to look bizarre to others if I sell later.

Stainless tends to show fingerprints. Stainless in commercial kitchens
works because you have staff that cleans it everyday. While I like the look
of stainless I don't like the cleaning effort it incurs in a residential
situation.

Pick something that cleans well and balances the overall look. As has been
mentioned, carrying the granite up onto the wall may be 'too much'.
Undercounter situations usually work better when lighter colors are used.
The available ambient light is better reflected back onto the working area.
Otherwise you're stuck with adding more undercounter lighting.

Frankly, unless it's likely to be extremely mess I've never had problems
with just using a decent semi-gloss paint. Why shell out all that extra
money to put up tile in a place that doesn't really need it? Why make the
room look 'overdone' with yet another color or pattern?

Also consider how that wall space might be used. If you want to hang
pictures or other things it'll be a lot of extra work if there's tile up
there instead of just paint on drywall. Fixing or covering holes in tiles
is nowhere near as simple.

I think tall granite backsplashes matching the counters might look busy or
overwhelming.

Posted to alt.home.repair
John

People keep mentioning "glass tiles." I have no idea what that is.

Here are some examples of stainless steel backplashes I'm thinking about.

http://www.basicbuilders.com/images/...iftFinals2.jpg

http://www.betlan.com/enlarge.asp?Im...ional/CS04.jpg

http://www.betlan.com/enlarge.asp?Im...ional/CS13.jpg

http://www.frigodesign.com/backsplash.html

"Craig A. Clarence" wrote in message
. com...
"Banty" wrote in message
In article , John says...

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
John

"wkearney99" wrote in message
news
[...]

The problem with this is that there are already existing tile backsplashes
under the cabinets. If not replaced with some other new backsplash to cover
the damage caused by ripping out the tile, the walls under the cabinets
would have to be repaired/retexturized and the entire kitchen repainted to
match.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Banty

In article , John says...

People keep mentioning "glass tiles." I have no idea what that is.

Here are some examples of stainless steel backplashes I'm thinking about.

http://www.basicbuilders.com/images/...iftFinals2.jpg

http://www.betlan.com/enlarge.asp?Im...ional/CS04.jpg

http://www.betlan.com/enlarge.asp?Im...ional/CS13.jpg

http://www.frigodesign.com/backsplash.html

I don't have time to come up with glass tile links right now (sure folks can
Google it).

My comments (personally) about SS backsplashes a

1. I worked in a commercial kitchen in my younger years. I know that commercial
look is in style now, but I know personally I wouldn't want to have a little
commercial kitchen in my house. You might like it (if so go for it!), but ask
yourself first how it will "wear" on you visually. If you're going be in your
house 15 years from now, are you going get tired of looking at a ltg of
stainless steel? Especially since you will have SS appliances too, and
*really* especially if you've also gone for a big SS hood. (On the other hand,
if you realy really like the SS look, that it's currently in style should not be
a negative just as it really shouldn't be a big positive. It's all about what
you like and want to live with!)

2. It will show fingerprints. Commercial kitchens get cleaned up every night (I
know!) and no-one is looking back there anyway. It may or may not be an issue
with you - it's not like you're going to paw all over your backplash necessarily
;-)

3. (Maybe tying into #1) Think about how it works with the rest of the house.
If you have traditional furniture and warm colors elsewhere, walking into a room
with all that SS can give you visual aesthetic whiplash.

Just my thoughts..

Banty

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike

"John" wrote:

[...]

I have slab granite for the counter tops and travertine tile for a
full backslash - on the diagonal (I agree that a full backslash of
granite is too much). But as I have a center island cooktop - I don't
need to worry too much about grease clean-up on the tile backslash
(it's sealed for light contamination).

Posted to alt.home.repair
Charles Spitzer

"John" wrote in message
People keep mentioning "glass tiles." I have no idea what that is.

it's just tiles made out of glass rather than ceramic. they're pretty
expensive, a lot more than ceramic ones.

regards,
charlie
http://glassartists.org/chaniarts