DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Copper wire vs. roof mold (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/125133-copper-wire-vs-roof-mold.html)

Rob Reali October 16th 05 10:00 PM

Copper wire vs. roof mold

Anyone ever heard of tacking a piece of bare copper wire on the ridge line
of a house to prevent asphalt shingle mold?

The theory sounds solid, since most of the mold inhibitors contain copper.

Ralph Mowery October 16th 05 10:07 PM

Copper wire vs. roof mold

"Rob Reali" wrote in message
Anyone ever heard of tacking a piece of bare copper wire on the ridge line
of a house to prevent asphalt shingle mold?

The theory sounds solid, since most of the mold inhibitors contain copper.

It has been discussed many times, Yes, it will work. It may take several
pieces of wire several feet apart.

Bishoop October 16th 05 11:08 PM

Copper wire vs. roof mold

"Rob Reali" wrote in message
Anyone ever heard of tacking a piece of bare copper wire on the ridge line
of a house to prevent asphalt shingle mold?

The theory sounds solid, since most of the mold inhibitors contain copper.

I've used this stuff on two different homes here in Central Florida with
perfect results, no mildew/fungus build-up. One home has had it in place
for 10+ years and no signs of a problem.

http://www.shingleshield.com/product.html

Gideon October 16th 05 11:32 PM

Copper wire vs. roof mold

Suggestions:
1) Remove existing mold. A pressure washer on a conservative setting
works well. You should be able to remove mold without damaging
your shingles. (Yes, I have experience with this).
You can also use bleach to remove existing mold, but I prefer the
pressure washer. Test a small area first to determine that the bleach
treatment is ok. If you've got some spare shingles in your garage or
shed, test on one of them.
2) Purchase copper strips designed for the task of preventing future mold.
The strips aren't that expensive and they work well. Copper salts of any
sort are pretty deadly for all plant life.

Good luck,
Gideon