SteveB

Default Building costs

"Al Moran" wrote in message
Next year I am going to build a house on some property I own in
northern California. The house needs to run off of solar as there is
no power in the area. It also needs a well and a septic system. The
plans for the house can be viewed he
http://www.connectlan.com/flooplan.gif The artists endering can be
viewed he http://www.connectlan.com/view.jpg
What would be a ballpark figure for having this house built by a
general contractor? The square footage is 1200'.

If you have no idea, how are you going to know if you are running below or
above projections? If you have no idea, how are you going to know when the
contractor wants to charge you $1200 for $300 worth of lumber?

Do your homework. YOU need to know from analysis and cost projections YOU
do.

Then, at the end, take the total cost, divide it by 1200, and there's yer
per square foot cost.

All sorts of things that you cannot control can skyrocket the cost.
Remoteness of site. Terrain at site. Availability of workers. Complexity
of systems. The need of trained personnel to install technical systems.

But the hard costs, you should figure out ahead of time to make sure you
don't get screwed into buying a $700 toilet that you can get at HD for $149.

Unlessen, of course, you just have lots of money, and you want to trust
others.

In that case, I am available.

STeve ;-)

SteveB

"Al Moran" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 10:33:41 -0700, "SteveB"
wrote:

If you have no idea, how are you going to know if you are running below or
above projections? If you have no idea, how are you going to know when
the
contractor wants to charge you $1200 for $300 worth of lumber?

I have somewhat of an idea. Around 100,000.00 to 120,000. This is just
for the house and does not inlude septic, well and solar.

Do your homework. YOU need to know from analysis and cost projections YOU
do.

What if I build the house myself? How do I estimate what each square
foot should cost?

Figure out in advance the cost of everything you will use. Add 15%. Divide
by 1200.

Steve

SQLit

wrote:

If you have no idea, how are you going to know if you are running below

or
above projections? If you have no idea, how are you going to know when

the
contractor wants to charge you $1200 for $300 worth of lumber?

I have somewhat of an idea. Around 100,000.00 to 120,000. This is just
for the house and does not inlude septic, well and solar.

Since the soil issue is unknown, relates to foundation. The finishes are
unknown, and the roofing is unknown. There is no pratical method of knowing
what the cost will be. CA requires earthquake construction do they not?
more $$$$$

Are permits required in your area? Are engineered plans required? Do you
know if you can even put a septic in the area? Can you drill a well on the
property?

New homes slab on grade in AZ are going for $200-250 a foot if your willing
to drive an hour each way to central Phoenix or live in the river bottom.
Stucco, tile roofs and very basic inside finishes. Add in a HOA of $70 a
month. This includes a water and sewer connections.

Do your homework. YOU need to know from analysis and cost projections

YOU
do.

What if I build the house myself? How do I estimate what each square
foot should cost?

dadiOH

Al Moran wrote:
What if I build the house myself? How do I estimate what each square
foot should cost?

What do you mean by build it yourself?

A. Physically build it with your own two hands...
Determine materials necessary, quantities of each and unitt costs,
equipment rental, site prep, etc. Add up costs and divide by 1200.

B. Act as general contractor...
Have numerous sets of building plans printed, send to several (3-4) of
each type of sub needed and ask for bids. Take an average, add in
materials, permits/inspections/impact fees, total and divide by 1200.

--
dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...