Roof leaks only during heavy rain

Old October 14th 05, 09:42 PM
Colbyt

Default Roof leaks only during heavy rain

"Mikepier" wrote in message
oups.com...
Here in the NYC area we have had continuous rain for about the past 6-7
days. Just to give you an idea, on the radio this morning they said the
last time we got this much rain was back in 1913.
Anyway, a leak in my kitchen ceiling prompted me to go into the attic
to find where the roof was leaking. While I did find the spot, I could
not find anywhere on the roof that would lead me to believe there was a
problem. This is a regular sloped asphalt shingle roof about 10-15
years old which was put on top of the existing roof.
I've never had leaks before, this is the first time I noticed a
problem. Is it normal to get leaks during prolonged heavy rain with a
NE wind? Also, could the leak be actually coming from someplace else on
the roof and traveling to the spot I see in the attic?

I read the thread and looked at your pics. I would suggest a very careful
inspection of the valley area where the two roofs meet. Water could be
entering there any traveling along the felt or first layer of shingles. The
angle gravity factored in is about right for that to happen. Valleys and
other flashings are frequent leak points when a nail over has been done.
That is the best reason to never do a nail over.

Colbyt

Old October 14th 05, 09:51 PM
Gideon

Colbyt wrote
I read the thread and looked at your pics. I would suggest a very careful
inspection of the valley area where the two roofs meet. Water could be
entering there any traveling along the felt or first layer of shingles. The
angle gravity factored in is about right for that to happen. Valleys and
other flashings are frequent leak points when a nail over has been done.
That is the best reason to never do a nail over.

=============

Good advise. I would also add the fact that most good roofers won't
roof a house unless the job includes putting a membrane below the
shingles in every valley. It is very inexpensive insurance against
leaks in one of the biggest problem areas on roofs.

Old October 15th 05, 12:05 AM
josh

"Colbyt" wrote

I read the thread and looked at your pics. I would suggest a very careful
inspection of the valley area where the two roofs meet. Water could be
entering there any traveling along the felt or first layer of shingles.

The
angle gravity factored in is about right for that to happen. Valleys and
other flashings are frequent leak points when a nail over has been done.
That is the best reason to never do a nail over.

Colbyt

I agree. Especially with the wind, which could be blowing the elements back
under the eave when it leaves the valley. Chances are, that area wasn't
worked correctly on a roof-over. It's not impossible, but since the soffit
& fascia covering are installed after the original roof, it's very difficult
to get additional roof covering (2nd layer) worked correctly in that area.

To the OP: This could have been leaking for a long time, but is finally
showing up. Wood will absorb moisture to the saturation point. In the case
of a heavy rain, wood will not absorb the saturation. The sheathing may look
good from the underside, but that's usually the last to rot, the rot
generally starts on top.

Old October 16th 05, 05:45 AM
Mikepier

Thanks for your responses. Unfortunately the leaking roof has to take a
back seat for now because for the past 2 days I've been trying to clean
up my basement after it flooded. 8 days and 13" of rain, the water
can't go anywhere but up.
It was only 2" at the most, but it did get a lot of stuff wet.
I'll get on the roof the next chance I get and check the valley area.

Old October 16th 05, 12:03 PM
Shirley Thebaglady

Check around your chimney, if you have a fireplace.

We had to have our chimney sealed on the outside as we had a leak. We
had a roofing man come and he did the sealing and checked all over our
roof too.

He sprayed it it with some kind of brick sealer. It did not cost very
much- $100.

shirley

Old October 17th 05, 04:06 PM
mm

On 15 Oct 2005 20:45:03 -0700, "Mikepier"
wrote:

Thanks for your responses. Unfortunately the leaking roof has to take a
back seat for now because for the past 2 days I've been trying to clean
up my basement after it flooded. 8 days and 13" of rain, the water
can't go anywhere but up.
It was only 2" at the most, but it did get a lot of stuff wet.
I'll get on the roof the next chance I get and check the valley area.

My basement got wet t0o. 6.7 inches in 2 days, but really in about 28
hours.

The water poured into the sump and the sump pump ran constantly, I
checked outside and it was pouring out loads of water but it wasn't
enough. I may put a one inch sill in between the room where the sump
is and the other room. Then I'll trip over it all the time.

Can I nail it to the cement floor with cut nails?

Or what sort of glue or caulk should I use?

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
Old October 17th 05, 04:14 PM
mm

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 06:03:23 -0400,
(Shirley Thebaglady) wrote:

Check around your chimney, if you have a fireplace.

Good point. I moved in in May, and on Thanksgiving I awoke to see my
bedroom ceiling dripping There was a conical enclosure around the
fireplace chimney and the furnace chimney (both round galvanized
steel?) The previous owner had ttried to fix the leak by putting GE
silicone caulk in the cone, but it's impossible to do this from the
inside. When I was able to get to the roof, ulike all the other
chimneys in my set of townhouses, mine didn't have a collar, a skirt,
around the pipe above the cone.

So I caulked a lot with black roof caulking, and it was fine for about
20 years. It was still fine when I got a new roof, but I went looking
for a collar. No one seems to use 12 inch chimney anymore, so I had
to use a universal collar. AFAICT, there was only one supply house in
all of Baltimore that sold them, and before I found that one, I found
a fireplace store in Westminster (20 miles out of Baltimore) that had
them. Only 10 dollars, but required a lot of careful trimming with
tin snips.

When I put it on the next day, I saw that all the chimneys used this
universal collar. That got a lot of black caulk too, and I recaulked
the original place, so now I have two and a half layers of protection
against chimney leaks.

We had to have our chimney sealed on the outside as we had a leak. We
had a roofing man come and he did the sealing and checked all over our
roof too.

He sprayed it it with some kind of brick sealer. It did not cost very
much- $100.

Fair enough. You didn't risk falling off the roof.

shirley

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.

Window leaks in driving rain Don Phillipson Home Repair 4 April 8th 05 02:06 PM
flat roof leak, eek! Ben Gold Home Repair 11 April 3rd 05 04:44 PM
Low Pitch - leaky roof bclee05 Home Repair 6 March 23rd 05 09:26 PM
Low-Slope Roof Repair Al Home Repair 13 February 15th 05 05:46 PM
FLAT ROOF - modern recovering methods? Richard Sterry UK diy 10 March 29th 04 11:28 AM