Todd

Default Service door in a garage door

I'm curious if there is a garage door available that has a service door
built into it. Or a design that I can build.

I have a brick garage with no service door, so the only way into the
garage is by opening the 9' x 7' garage door. I'm about to replace my
garage door. That way I can walk thru the service door instead of
opening the garage door. Especially nice when the garage is heated in
the winter. I understand the structual complexity of this request, but
perhaps somebody has figure it out. (My '69 Dodge wagon had a tailgate
that could swing down or open like a door. If they can do that....)

I currently have the typical modern residential panel door that rolls
up. I'm willing to consider other designs to get this feature.

I've seen service doors in airplane hangar doors, but those are very
large bi-fold doors. Those door hang on the outside of the building
and require exterior headroom which I do not have.

Any ideas?

Edwin Pawlowski

"Todd" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm curious if there is a garage door available that has a service door
built into it. Or a design that I can build.

Don't know who makes them, but we have one in a door at work. (it is old and
I have no idea who made it) Each segment is hinged just like the rest of the
door but three or four panels high can be opened out when needed b y hinging
them on the size and latching on the other side. A stop keeps it from
opening in or falling when the overhead door is opened. The bottom frame of
the door is also intact and you have to step over it. That keeps the door
structurally sound.

If you were to see how this is made, you could easily modify a door.
Perhaps a local dealer will know what you want and can help you.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Todd

I'd prefer not to cut into the brick. Besides, I'd have to put the
door on an adjacent wall where there is no driveway or sidewalk, so I'd
have to pave it. And it would consume valuable wallspace where I
currently have benches or equipment. Wall space is a premium and I'd
rather not lose any. That is an option, but I'd like to see if a
service door could be reasonable installed into my garage door first.

Rich

How wide are the stiles, bottom and top rails?
I'm assuming your door is 1-3/8" thick.
Fill in the blanks at
http://www.garagedoorsupply.com/repl...-sections.html and I'll see what
can be done for you. Enter in the comments box where in the door you will
like to install the p/d.

"Todd" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'd prefer not to cut into the brick. Besides, I'd have to put the
door on an adjacent wall where there is no driveway or sidewalk, so I'd
have to pave it. And it would consume valuable wallspace where I
currently have benches or equipment. Wall space is a premium and I'd
rather not lose any. That is an option, but I'd like to see if a
service door could be reasonable installed into my garage door first.

MTLnews

I know they exist, since my neighbour has one. It's been there since the
house was built in 1964, so kind of difficult to tell you who made it...
It is a very nice feature, and amazing for the winter, instead of opening
the whole damn door (in his case 18'W x 8'H, same as my door).

If you do find anyone who makes them, please let us know...

good luck

"Todd" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Goedjn

On 14 Oct 2005 04:09:52 -0700, "Todd" wrote:

I'd prefer not to cut into the brick. Besides, I'd have to put the
door on an adjacent wall where there is no driveway or sidewalk, so I'd
have to pave it. And it would consume valuable wallspace where I
currently have benches or equipment. Wall space is a premium and I'd
rather not lose any. That is an option, but I'd like to see if a
service door could be reasonable installed into my garage door first.

If you add a column of hinges on either side, I don't see any
reason why you couldn't chop a hole in your door 3 panels high,
although you'd probably want to leave a metal bar across the
bottom to keep the spacing right. Having done that,
there's no reason why you couldn't mount a door in the
hole, except that the door doesn't fold.. So you cut the
door into panels to match the garage door, and hinge the
panels together. Mind you, this door won't open when
the garage door is lifted at all, and if you try to open the
garage door while the access-port is open, you'll wreck
something, so you probably want some sort of interlock on
the electric door-hoist.

Todd

I found one so far... http://www.walkthrugaragedoors.com
They are based out of Windsor, Ontario Canada, which is OK for me since
I live in Detroit.
However, I am still hoping to find one in the US. I might still try to
modify my own door. If I can purchase a kit at a reasonable price, I
might just by the kit. I think I can see enough of the details in the
picture to design one myself. Fairly simple once you see it. I wonder
why they are not more popular. (Kind of like Murphy beds. I have one
of those too, and I love it, but you just don't see them around here
much.) I am still awating call back from Walk Thru Garage Door on
pricing.

Jim in PA

In college I had a friend who lived in a garage. In the wintertime he'd
only open the door a little way and then roll or crawl under it. I
didn't visit him much in the winter.

mm

On 13 Oct 2005 20:31:10 -0700, "Todd" wrote:

I'm curious if there is a garage door available that has a service door
built into it. Or a design that I can build.

I"m sure you can design it yourself. Practice on the garage door you
have now. Unless you were going to reuse it.

How many sections of the bending door would your 7' door span? Lets
say 4. Get 8 strap hinges (or maybe whatever the garage door has now
if you can find the exact thing, but when I had a garage, it used
pretty common hinges.) and attach them on the left and right side of
where the door is going to be. Try lifting the door to make sure it
still moves easily up and down.

Get two sets of door hinges and mark where they should go. Drill the
holes. Also mark the line of the door. Cut on the line where the
hinges are going to be, and as you cut each section, screw in the
hinge. When you get to the floor, or even earlier also, try lifting
the door to make sure it still moves easily up and down.

Mark and drill the holes for a place for the latch and lock on the
open side.Cut the open side and the top. Attach the latch and lock.
Find some method to make sure the door is always shut when you try to
lift it Or maybe you just won't be able to lift it when it is open.
But still, find out how other doors handle this. Try lifting the
door to make sure it still moves easily up and down. Then you're
done.

If you wanted, you could use this door to trace lines on to a heavier
wood door. Then mark the hinges, drill the holes, cut the door one
hinge worth at a time, and transfer the hinges one at a time.

With a litte extra effort you could make Dutch doors, or triple Dutch
doors for short people.

Your idea sounds great to me. If they can do it you can.

I have a brick garage with no service door, so the only way into the
garage is by opening the 9' x 7' garage door. I'm about to replace my
garage door. That way I can walk thru the service door instead of
opening the garage door. Especially nice when the garage is heated in
the winter. I understand the structual complexity of this request, but
perhaps somebody has figure it out. (My '69 Dodge wagon had a tailgate
that could swing down or open like a door. If they can do that....)

I assumed that that was done by demons.

I currently have the typical modern residential panel door that rolls
up. I'm willing to consider other designs to get this feature.

I've seen service doors in airplane hangar doors, but those are very
large bi-fold doors. Those door hang on the outside of the building
and require exterior headroom which I do not have.

Any ideas?

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.