Default Interior Basement Wall Insulation Q.

Hi,

I'd like to insulate one of my (unfinished) basement walls. The problem is
this: running parallel to the wall (near the ceiling) is a furnace duct, and
the space between said wall and said duct is approx. 3 inches (a bit less in
spots). I was thinking of insulating with 1.5'' of foam insulation with
1/2'' gypsum board covering, but anyone have a thought as to whether or not
this would be hazardous? The duct is approx. 12" high, so the other option
would be to just skip the upper 12" of wall and insulate below..

Many thanks,
Jim

Edwin Pawlowski

BallyHigh wrote in message ...
Hi,

I'd like to insulate one of my (unfinished) basement walls. The problem
is
this: running parallel to the wall (near the ceiling) is a furnace duct,
and
the space between said wall and said duct is approx. 3 inches (a bit less
in
spots). I was thinking of insulating with 1.5'' of foam insulation with
1/2'' gypsum board covering, but anyone have a thought as to whether or
not
this would be hazardous? The duct is approx. 12" high, so the other
option
would be to just skip the upper 12" of wall and insulate below..

No danger. The duct don't get hot enough to meld the foam. or to cause any
other problems.

Speedy Jim

BallyHigh wrote:
Hi,

I'd like to insulate one of my (unfinished) basement walls. The problem is
this: running parallel to the wall (near the ceiling) is a furnace duct, and
the space between said wall and said duct is approx. 3 inches (a bit less in
spots). I was thinking of insulating with 1.5'' of foam insulation with
1/2'' gypsum board covering, but anyone have a thought as to whether or not
this would be hazardous? The duct is approx. 12" high, so the other option
would be to just skip the upper 12" of wall and insulate below..

Many thanks,
Jim

BTDT

Used construction adhesive to glue foamboard to block;
then glue drywall to foam.

Jim
Jeff

Another option -- I just painted my furnace ducts a medium brown and left
them exposed. So of like some modern buildings. This way I could keep my
basement ceiling as high as possible. IMHO most framed in duct work looks
like what it is and just takes up more space. In my case the basement is
used so heat leakage from ducts is a non issue.

Good luck

BallyHigh wrote in message ...
Hi,

I'd like to insulate one of my (unfinished) basement walls. The problem
is
this: running parallel to the wall (near the ceiling) is a furnace duct,
and
the space between said wall and said duct is approx. 3 inches (a bit less
in
spots). I was thinking of insulating with 1.5'' of foam insulation with
1/2'' gypsum board covering, but anyone have a thought as to whether or
not
this would be hazardous? The duct is approx. 12" high, so the other
option
would be to just skip the upper 12" of wall and insulate below..

Many thanks,
Jim

Cavity Wall Insulation Swift Half UK diy 4 October 13th 05 02:19 PM
Cinder Block Retaining Wall Question [email protected] Home Repair 5 September 15th 05 06:12 PM
wall insulation... Christian Home Repair 7 June 10th 05 07:26 AM
insulating a wall Rick Dipper UK diy 10 August 6th 04 08:33 PM
HELP: vertical foundation crack in new construction Zhixin Tang Home Repair 46 October 26th 03 01:53 PM