All Thumbs

Default Popped-out nails in ceiling -- how to repair?

By mistake I stepped on the attic floor while working in the attic. Now
several nails have popped out from the ceiling drywall. Could somebody
tell me what's the right way to repair it?

I thought about hammering them back in and spackling over them, but I'm
not sure if new/extra nails are neeeded. Does anyone know if ceiling
drywalls are normally screwed directly to the joists or if there are
woodboards between them? (I guess I could get into the attic again to
find out but it's pain to get in there.)

Thanks!

i would haul out the nails and put a drywall screw in close to the nail
spot. plaster. i have seen drywall screwed directly to joists and
strapping.

RicodJour

All Thumbs wrote:
By mistake I stepped on the attic floor while working in the attic. Now
several nails have popped out from the ceiling drywall. Could somebody
tell me what's the right way to repair it?

Use screws and pull the nails if you can. If not, just pound them back
in - won't make a huge difference as the rest of the house is obviously
nailed.

I thought about hammering them back in and spackling over them, but I'm
not sure if new/extra nails are neeeded. Does anyone know if ceiling
drywalls are normally screwed directly to the joists or if there are
woodboards between them? (I guess I could get into the attic again to
find out but it's pain to get in there.)

Drywall is installed to the framing. If you want to walk in the attic,
put down plywood on top of the joists.

J Kelly

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 02:28:07 -0500, wrote:

(DO NOT go in the attic again, unless you are
completely sober

Hmmm... I never go into my attic sober. I hate attics.