DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Popped-out nails in ceiling -- how to repair? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/124648-popped-out-nails-ceiling-how-repair.html)

All Thumbs October 13th 05 02:08 AM

Popped-out nails in ceiling -- how to repair?

By mistake I stepped on the attic floor while working in the attic. Now
several nails have popped out from the ceiling drywall. Could somebody
tell me what's the right way to repair it?

I thought about hammering them back in and spackling over them, but I'm
not sure if new/extra nails are neeeded. Does anyone know if ceiling
drywalls are normally screwed directly to the joists or if there are
woodboards between them? (I guess I could get into the attic again to
find out but it's pain to get in there.)

Thanks!

[email protected] October 13th 05 02:33 AM

Popped-out nails in ceiling -- how to repair?

i would haul out the nails and put a drywall screw in close to the nail
spot. plaster. i have seen drywall screwed directly to joists and
strapping.

RicodJour October 13th 05 04:26 AM

All Thumbs wrote:
By mistake I stepped on the attic floor while working in the attic. Now
several nails have popped out from the ceiling drywall. Could somebody
tell me what's the right way to repair it?

Use screws and pull the nails if you can. If not, just pound them back
in - won't make a huge difference as the rest of the house is obviously
nailed.

I thought about hammering them back in and spackling over them, but I'm
not sure if new/extra nails are neeeded. Does anyone know if ceiling
drywalls are normally screwed directly to the joists or if there are
woodboards between them? (I guess I could get into the attic again to
find out but it's pain to get in there.)

Drywall is installed to the framing. If you want to walk in the attic,
put down plywood on top of the joists.

All Thumbs October 13th 05 12:33 PM

Popped-out nails in ceiling -- how to repair?

wrote:

OK, I'll be honest and fess up.........

[adventure story]

However, this later became the house joke and as long as both of us
tenants lived in that house there were constant jokes and remarks
about that event.

35 years later, it's still kind of funny !!!!

Wow, what a story! Thanks for sharing.

J Kelly October 13th 05 09:12 PM

Popped-out nails in ceiling -- how to repair?

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 02:28:07 -0500, wrote:

(DO NOT go in the attic again, unless you are
completely sober :)

Hmmm... I never go into my attic sober. I hate attics.

RicodJour October 13th 05 11:23 PM

Popped-out nails in ceiling -- how to repair?

wrote:
On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 10:33:42 GMT, All Thumbs

OK, I'll be honest and fess up.........

[adventure story]

However, this later became the house joke and as long as both of us
tenants lived in that house there were constant jokes and remarks
about that event.

35 years later, it's still kind of funny !!!!

Wow, what a story! Thanks for sharing.

You're welcome.
This thread got me remembering this crazy adventure, and I had to
share. It's one of those things I will never forget, and while it was
not too funny at that time, I really do find it rather funny now. I
will never forget the look on those people's faces when I just
"dropped in". Totally ruined their sex for that night !!!

And yours. "Oh, I was just up in the attic treasuring hunting,
and...what's this?! A small hole looking down on the neighbors
bedroom!" ;)