miamicuse

Default Punching a hole in a leather belt

I got a new leather belt as a belt but I need just one more hole (it's a
little too loose). Can this be done by myself? I suppose not - perhaps a
special tool is needed and I don't want to ruin it by trying a drill or
dremel tool (tempting though...) If I let the pro do it should I take it to
a tailor shop or a shoe repair place?

Thanks in advance,

MC

SteveB

"miamicuse" wrote in message
I got a new leather belt as a belt but I need just one more hole (it's a
little too loose). Can this be done by myself? I suppose not - perhaps a
special tool is needed and I don't want to ruin it by trying a drill or
dremel tool (tempting though...) If I let the pro do it should I take it
a tailor shop or a shoe repair place?

Thanks in advance,

MC

Buy a leather punch. Once you have one, you will be surprised how many
times you use it. Nothing like the right tool for the job.

Steve

Bob

It would take 2 seconds with a leather punch. Anyone that works with leather
would likely have one. Or maybe you can find one at Home Depot or some other
store and just try it out.

Bob

"miamicuse" wrote in message
I got a new leather belt as a belt but I need just one more hole (it's a
little too loose). Can this be done by myself? I suppose not - perhaps a
special tool is needed and I don't want to ruin it by trying a drill or
dremel tool (tempting though...) If I let the pro do it should I take it

a tailor shop or a shoe repair place?

Thanks in advance,

MC

RicodJour

miamicuse wrote:
I got a new leather belt as a belt but I need just one more hole (it's a
little too loose). Can this be done by myself? I suppose not - perhaps a
special tool is needed and I don't want to ruin it by trying a drill or
dremel tool (tempting though...) If I let the pro do it should I take it to
a tailor shop or a shoe repair place?

A drill would give you a kind of ragged hole, not a clean punched hole.
It'd work and might be okay, but if you want a clean hole a hole punch
is the way to go. A shoe repair place is the right place to go.

The hole punch looks like a pliers with a spoked wheel turret on one
jaw. The turret is rotated until the correct size hole punch is
selected and then the hole is located and the pliers squeezed shut.
The punch itself is a hollow tube.

It will take the guy 30 seconds if he's slow and has to locate the
punch. Shouldn't cost more than a buck or two.

Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 11 Oct 2005 05:30:09p, miamicuse wrote in alt.home.repair:

I got a new leather belt as a belt but I need just one more hole (it's a
little too loose). Can this be done by myself? I suppose not - perhaps
a special tool is needed and I don't want to ruin it by trying a drill
or dremel tool (tempting though...) If I let the pro do it should I
take it to a tailor shop or a shoe repair place?

Thanks in advance,

MC

If you take it to a pro, go to a shoe repair shop. A shoe repair shop may
do it on the spot for free. You can also buy a reasonably inexpensive
leather hole punch at most craft stores which can punch various size holes,
and the results are clean and look professional.

Drills of any type will most likely leave a somewhat ragged edge on the
hole.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
_____________________________

http://tinypic.com/dzijap.jpg

Popie-In-The-Bowl
Stormin Mormon

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=...Search+Froogle

About fifteen bucks will buy you a leather punch.

--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

"RicodJour" wrote in message
oups.com...
miamicuse wrote:
[...]

Harry K

RicodJour wrote:
miamicuse wrote:
[...]

You are right about a drill. I have done it. The ragged hole doesn't
matter tho as the first time you use that hole it smooths it out and
you can't really tell without a very close look just how the hole was
made.

Harry K

Edwin Pawlowski

"miamicuse" wrote in message
I got a new leather belt as a belt but I need just one more hole (it's a
little too loose). Can this be done by myself? I suppose not - perhaps a
special tool is needed and I don't want to ruin it by trying a drill or
dremel tool (tempting though...) If I let the pro do it should I take it
a tailor shop or a shoe repair place?

You have choices.

1. Drill it with a piece of wood over top and bottom and you will get a
smooth hole
2. Leather punch. Any leather hobbyist will have one or a gasket punch
from the maintenance shop
3. Shoemaker
4. Eat an extra pork chop every night until the belt fits.

Number one is cheapest, number 4 is easiest.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/