DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Whats the best gas 2 cycle weedeater (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/123376-whats-best-gas-2-cycle-weedeater.html)

[email protected] October 3rd 05 07:31 PM

Whats the best gas 2 cycle weedeater

Whats the best 2 cycle gas weedater? I want a light weight. Also a quick
start on startups. And a straightcut.

--
deb741
deb741's Profile: http://homeimprovement.mylounge.us/m...p?userid=18814

John H. Holliday October 3rd 05 08:12 PM

wrote in message ...

Whats the best 2 cycle gas weedater? I want a light weight. Also a quick
start on startups. And a straightcut.

Desirable features to be sure-- but what will make/break your happiness with
the machine is how reliably if feeds the string... and I've yet to find one
that does that well!

Doc

RobR October 3rd 05 08:23 PM

"John H. Holliday" nospam@okcorral wrote in message
wrote in message ...

Whats the best 2 cycle gas weedater? I want a light weight. Also a quick
start on startups. And a straightcut.

Desirable features to be sure-- but what will make/break your happiness
with the machine is how reliably if feeds the string... and I've yet to
find one that does that well!

Doc

That was actually something I'd been meaning to look into. I inherited
a 2 cycle weed whacker, the string breaks constantly though and I
have to keep stopping and manually feeding out more strings. ARRGHH!!!

Bo Williams October 3rd 05 08:32 PM

wrote:

Whats the best 2 cycle gas weedater? I want a light weight. Also a quick
start on startups. And a straightcut.

Echo SRM-210 satisfies all of these.
--
Bo Williams -

http://hiwaay.net/~williams/

Joseph Meehan October 3rd 05 09:44 PM

wrote:
Whats the best 2 cycle gas weedater? I want a light weight. Also a
quick start on startups. And a straightcut.

I would go for a 4 cycle, you may loose some on weight, but you will
gain on easy starting. A good trade off for me. However I got so mad at
the 2 cycles that I got a battery powered electric and I love it.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Rob Mills October 6th 05 04:14 AM

"RobR" wrote in message

That was actually something I'd been meaning to look into. I inherited
a 2 cycle weed whacker, the string breaks constantly though and I
have to keep stopping and manually feeding out more strings. ARRGHH!!!

Have you looked at those heads (Home Depot) that you just insert cut lengths
of line in? I haven't tried one "yet" but the idea sure sounds better than
fighting a spool. RM~

zxcvbob October 6th 05 04:28 AM

Bo Williams wrote:
wrote:

Whats the best 2 cycle gas weedater? I want a light weight. Also a quick
start on startups. And a straightcut.

Echo SRM-210 satisfies all of these.

I have a Echo SRM-2200, and it has been working great for over 15 years.
Seventeen years, I think.

I believe I replaced the sparkplug on it once.

The bump-feed string head on it works good too (.095 line.)

Bob

Goedjn October 6th 05 03:50 PM

That was actually something I'd been meaning to look into. I inherited
a 2 cycle weed whacker, the string breaks constantly though and I
have to keep stopping and manually feeding out more strings. ARRGHH!!!

Have you looked at those heads (Home Depot) that you just insert cut lengths
of line in? I haven't tried one "yet" but the idea sure sounds better than
fighting a spool. RM~

Forget about the string-feed trimmers. Get one of those
gasoline-powered amputators with a skilsaw blade on the
end.

zxcvbob October 6th 05 05:23 PM

Goedjn wrote:

That was actually something I'd been meaning to look into. I inherited
a 2 cycle weed whacker, the string breaks constantly though and I
have to keep stopping and manually feeding out more strings. ARRGHH!!!

Have you looked at those heads (Home Depot) that you just insert cut lengths
of line in? I haven't tried one "yet" but the idea sure sounds better than
fighting a spool. RM~

Forget about the string-feed trimmers. Get one of those
gasoline-powered amputators with a skilsaw blade on the
end.

I actually put a small lawnmower blade on my Echo trimmer. It looks
wicked. It works great for cutting wet overgrown grass that would clog
a lawnmower.

-Bob

No October 6th 05 06:40 PM

Really? Is there even such a thing? (I'm too lazy to google it right
now). I am just envisioning my lawnmower engine on the end of a trimmer
shaft. Way too heavy. Plus, don't 4 cyl engines need to stay relatively
horizontal? How would that work with a string trimmer?

No October 6th 05 06:50 PM

OK - I did google it and found a surprising number of 4cyl options.
'Huh...wat do ya know'

October 13th 05 07:56 PM

wrote:

Whats the best 2 cycle gas weedater? I want a light weight. Also a quick
start on startups. And a straightcut.

I bought a Stihl KM-110R its a kombi system. Basically you can
interchange the extensions to 20+ different extensions (hedger, edger,
broom, tines, trimmer, etc.)

I paid $329 US for the 4-mix engine and $109 for the trimmer, $159
edger. It works wonders.

I had a roybi 31cc multi function ($199 US) worked well but the stihl
by far is superior..

Buy a higher end trimmer and be happy.. I have a friend that works in
Florida for a landscaping business they use a rs-230 or so. They use
a tri-blade and 12" saw blade. No Trees, Muss, or fuss. However it will
drink fuel..

Stihl uses 1:50 mix, NGK Plugs.. Good stuff buy it from a dealer
not from a HD/Lowes vendor...