Norminn

Default Two Painting Questions

Ken Hall wrote:
1) I occasionally paint boards lying on saw horses. I paint one
side, let it dry, then paint the other. Paint always runs over the
edge of the boards and some runs down the edge. These runs form a
thick mound/bead of paint. I can't figure out any way to prevent
this. Any suggestions?

You are probably loading the brush too much. OK to glob the paint onto
the ends and sides, but brush it out before it sets. When I sprayed
some louvered doors a while back, I kept on hand a small foam brush
wrung out in mineral spirits so I could level out any runs or drips.
Very handy. Might be worthwhile 'til you get the knack. End grain
usually absorbs more, so I do them first, and feather back into the
board so there isn't a pile of paint at the end, then paint the larger
surfaces with just a little less paint appl. toward the ends. Use side
of brush along the narrow sides as you go.

2) I don't understand pigmented/solid exterior stain. It seems just
like paint to me. I was putting this stuff on new cedar pickets. I
got the runs described above, so I scraped off these mounds of paint.
Once I'd get it started the stuff peeled of the wood leaving clean
completely new/unstained wood. There was no penetration of anything
into the wood (and not very good adhesion). How is this stuff
different from paint?

Ken

I have seen latex "fall" off previously oil-stained wood. Hard to tell
without knowing brand/product name. Cedar is oily - did you use water base?