Howard Epstein

Default Laawn Mowers for Steep Terrain

I live on the side of a mountain in New Hampshire. Mowing the lawn with
a standard power mover is a real pain. A ride on lawn mower will not
work because it will overturn. Is there an easier way to mow the lawn
like a self propelled lawn mower or a one of those mowers that the pro's
use which you stand on or will they not work on steep terrain?

Thank you,

Howard Epstein

willshak

On 10/2/2005 12:57 PM US(ET), Howard Epstein took fingers to keyboard,
and typed the following:

I live on the side of a mountain in New Hampshire. Mowing the lawn with
a standard power mover is a real pain. A ride on lawn mower will not
work because it will overturn. Is there an easier way to mow the lawn
like a self propelled lawn mower or a one of those mowers that the pro's
use which you stand on or will they not work on steep terrain?

Thank you,

Howard Epstein

Plant a ground cover so you don't have to mow it at all. Depending upon
the sun or shade in the area, there a number of ground covers available.
http://tinyurl.com/anebk

--
Bill
Bill Waller

On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 12:57:52 -0400, Howard Epstein wrote:

I live on the side of a mountain in New Hampshire. Mowing the lawn with
a standard power mover is a real pain. A ride on lawn mower will not
work because it will overturn. Is there an easier way to mow the lawn
like a self propelled lawn mower or a one of those mowers that the pro's
use which you stand on or will they not work on steep terrain?

Thank you,

Howard Epstein

Not to be a wise guy or anything, but living on the side of a mountain in
Western Pennsylvania with 2.2 acres to mow, I have found they only safe way to
get the job done was to hire somebody. The company I use uses a combination of
equipment: everything from a big 4WD John Deere to weed whackers, including
push mowers, and giant self-propelled walk behinds. They also have at least one
zero turn machine that shows up on occasion.

One ride from the garage to the front door with my antique Wheelhorse and a
cart load of books when we moved in let me know that is not something I wanted
to do on any regular basis. My safety is worth the cost of having a service
come in every two weeks. Granted, it is not a manicured lawn, but rather looks
like a park with many trees and its rolling hillside as well as some slopes
that I cannot or would not attempt to climb.

The previous owner left me his 14.5HP Craftsman tractor which he had rolled
three times. I have given it away. Although I am no longer hauling books up and
over the one hill anymore, I have bought an ATV to do the hauling around the
yard that I must do.

BTW, The guy with the 4WD Deere has even lost it at least once. Fortunately,
that was before my time and he did not roll over, just came crashing down from
the yard into the driveway. Even now, on occasion, I will see skid marks along
one of the hillsides that really does not look that steep. But, looks can be
deceiving.
____________________
Bill Waller
New Eagle, PA

Goedjn

I live on the side of a mountain in New Hampshire. Mowing the lawn with
a standard power mover is a real pain. A ride on lawn mower will not
work because it will overturn. Is there an easier way to mow the lawn
like a self propelled lawn mower or a one of those mowers that the pro's
use which you stand on or will they not work on steep terrain?

If it's too steep to mow, then it's too steep to use as a lawn.
What are you trying to accomplish by keeping it mowed?
If you're just trying to clear a view, plant some trees that
either don't grow high enough to block the view,
or that you can trim enough branches off to see through.
If you're after a fire-break, I think you need a retaining
wall and terracing.

--Goedjn

PipeDown

"Goedjn" wrote in message

I live on the side of a mountain in New Hampshire. Mowing the lawn with
a standard power mover is a real pain. A ride on lawn mower will not
work because it will overturn. Is there an easier way to mow the lawn
like a self propelled lawn mower or a one of those mowers that the pro's
use which you stand on or will they not work on steep terrain?

If it's too steep to mow, then it's too steep to use as a lawn.
What are you trying to accomplish by keeping it mowed?
If you're just trying to clear a view, plant some trees that
either don't grow high enough to block the view,
or that you can trim enough branches off to see through.
If you're after a fire-break, I think you need a retaining
wall and terracing.

--Goedjn

There are varieties of no-mow grasses too. Usually they grow a few inches
and fall over without growing stalks. Not sure what grows well in NH
though. You should have access to plenty of pine straw in the woods if you
want free mulch though.