MaryL

Default Exterior of new Kenmore freezer is very hot

I just bought a Kenmore upright self-defrosting freezer. This is a
replacement for an Amana manual defrosting chest freezer that I had for more
than 20 years. I realize that an upright (and self-defrosting) freezer may
not be as practical as a chest freezer, but I live in East Texas and have
now had to throw away the contents of my refrigerator and freezer for the
second time in 2 years (Hurricane Rita). The upright will not eliminate
that problem, but it was very difficult for me to clean the chest freezer.
This one should be easier for me to locate items and to clean.

I have noticed that the outside of this freezer gets *very* hot. The
instruction manual says that it is normal for it to be as much as 30 degrees
hotter than room temperature. Neither the older chest freezer nor my
current Maytag refrigerator/freezer (bottom freezer drawer) are anything
like this. The chest freezer would have slight warmth, and the Maytage does
not show any heat at all.

I am concerned that this amount of heat may mean that I will end up paying
more in air condition bills, in addition to the normal "energy use" of the
freezer itself? Is this a legitimate concern? Does anyone know if there
are better-insulated freezers, and should I consider returning this one?

Secondly, I could move the freezer out of the house and into the attached
garage. However, it gets *very* hot here in the summers (East Texas), so I
wonder if that would simply make my situation worse.

I would appreciate any comments and advice any of you have. (I posted this
same message to one other newsgroup. I hope it is acceptable to post in
this way rather than cross-posting.)

Thanks, MaryL

Joseph Meehan

MaryL wrote:
[...]

I don't know why is it that hot, but I can tell you that your should
expect that all else being equal an upright will cost you more in direct and
indirect operating cost than a chest type.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Edwin Pawlowski

I have noticed that the outside of this freezer gets *very* hot. The
instruction manual says that it is normal for it to be as much as 30
degrees hotter than room temperature.

I am concerned that this amount of heat may mean that I will end up paying
more in air condition bills, in addition to the normal "energy use" of the
freezer itself? Is this a legitimate concern? Does anyone know if there
are better-insulated freezers, and should I consider returning this one?

The heat has to be removed from the freezer to keep it cold. Insulations is
to keep the heat out, not in. What you are seeing is just the way the heat
is extracted from the freezer and is normal. Other designs remove the same
amount of heat, they just disperse it differently. Operating cost of the
freezer or your AC will be no different.

Secondly, I could move the freezer out of the house and into the attached
garage. However, it gets *very* hot here in the summers (East Texas), so
I wonder if that would simply make my situation worse.

Yes, it would and it will increase operating cost. If too hot, it will not
be able to keep the food as cold as it should.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Carpenter

MaryL wrote:
I just bought a Kenmore upright self-defrosting freezer. This is a
replacement for an Amana manual defrosting chest freezer that I had for more
than 20 years. I realize that an upright (and self-defrosting) freezer may
not be as practical as a chest freezer, but I live in East Texas and have
now had to throw away the contents of my refrigerator and freezer for the
second time in 2 years (Hurricane Rita).

I have noticed that the outside of this freezer gets *very* hot. The
instruction manual says that it is normal for it to be as much as 30 degrees
hotter than room temperature.

I have the same model I believe and has been working well for the last
5 years even if the outside stays very hot.

Good luck with getting your home back together. I am from SE Texas too
and can't wait to go back home when the power will be back.

MaryL

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
m...

[...]

Thanks! This is very useful information and helps me a lot. I knew that
heat was being extracted from the freezer, but I didn't think about other
models simply dispersing it in different ways. I was giving insulation
credit for that, but what you wrote makes very good sense.

MaryL

keith

On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 10:42:30 -0500, MaryL wrote:

[...]

Yes, we had a similar freezer. The condenser coils (the "hot side") of
these units run through the sides of the unit rather than underneath or in
back. This design may be a little less efficient (the heat is against the
insulation), but eliminates any problems with dust collecting under or
behind the unit. It also eliminates any possibility of condensation in a
humid environment.

--
Keith
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to MaryL, Jeff wrote:
carstan101 wrote:

[...]

Hi, Mary.

I think you should be concerned if the outside temp of the unit is 30F
above the room temp of say, 70F. This would make your freezer exterior
temp around 100F. My Kenmore gets so hot on the exterior that I cannot
touch it. It gets hot mainly on the end where the mechanism is, left as
you face the front of the freezer. I'm planning to find out if this is a
fire hazard and may return my unit. However, the meat on the inside seems
to be frozen solid. Jeff

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...hot-36322-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jeff" wrote in message
roups.com...
..

I think you should be concerned if the outside temp of the unit is 30F
above the room temp of say, 70F. This would make your freezer exterior
temp around 100F. My Kenmore gets so hot on the exterior that I cannot
touch it. It gets hot mainly on the end where the mechanism is, left as
you face the front of the freezer. I'm planning to find out if this is a
fire hazard and may return my unit. However, the meat on the inside seems
to be frozen solid. Jeff

The freezer does not really cool, but moves the heat out of the freezer to
the outside of it. If it is set for very cold, it will have to be hotter on
the outside. If you open the door alot to the freezer, it will have to do
more work to cool off the inside. It is doubtful, but air could be leaking
in around the door. You may want to check this out.

It will be hottest where the tube comes out of the compressor and as you
move away from the compressor the tube will be cooler, but still hot.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, July 21, 2013 12:10:59 PM UTC-4, Ralph Mowery wrote:
"Jeff" wrote in message

roups.com...

.

[...]

Do you guys realize you're responding to a post that is 8 years old?
Posted to alt.home.repair

carstan101 wrote:

[...]

Hi,
My Fridgedaire upright is pretty hot too depending on outside temp.
Located inside insulated garage. Been like that since new and works
well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

Do you guys realize you're responding to a post that is 8 years old?

Beter late than never.....

I never look at the date or where it comes from,so it be very old and not
even looked at any more by the origional poster..

Sometimes the internet seems to do a time wrap.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Please research usenet, and post here the regular way. Not through a webpage that tries to make you think it's a web based forum.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..

"Jeff" wrote in message
roups.com...
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Jeff, Senora wrote:
We too have this problem. Purchased a Fridgedaire Frost Free Freezer in
March, 2017. On vacation for three weeks to return home to find a freezer
completely off. A full freezer of meat totally lost. Freezer was four months
old.

Repairman sent out and replaced the compressor. Have restocked the freezer.
Outside walls of the freezer (left side) are hot to the touch. Top of freezer
and right wall sides also get much warmer. I too am afraid to leave home to
find freezer meats ruined or worse, have the freezer start the house on fire.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...hot-36322-.htm