1_Patriotic_Guy

Default Aargh! Please, Need help with Bookcase

All ideas and humor welcome.

While this is a serious topic, I could use some humor too.
The good news is I got married. The bad news is my wife is emotionally
attached to a stackable wooden bookcase with glass folding doors for each
shelf that is an unusual size.

The inside measurement of each shelf is 7 1/2" deep by 11 1/4" tall. Since
a standard sheet of paper is wider than the bookshelf is deep, I am
perplexed on how to use it to store all her abbundance of papers. I thoght
of removing the back, but since each shelf lifts of as an individual unit
and has one glass door per shelf, removing the back would destroy its
structural integrity. I can't get rid of it and stay happily married. And
I am now drowning in her papers. I thought of scanning some of her many
sheets to computer, but she insists on keeping her "hard copies" to have for
future meetings, etc. I know she could find and print the document at the
time, but she refuses to do that.
Short of using the bookcase for firewood this winter, what are my
options. Am I missing some obvious way to store binders in this bookshelf
and still be able to find the right info when needed in a reasonable manner?

Desperate and buried in loose papers.
Thanks in advance.

Charles Spitzer

"1_Patriotic_Guy" wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]

store knickknacks in the bookshelf. buy a filing cabinet and stuff it in the
back of the closet.

Rex's Mom

1_Patriotic_Guy wrote:
[...]

The song from the Broadway show "A chorus Line" comes to
mind right now; it's title "What I did for love"

It occurs to me that letter-sized papers would fit standing
up facing forward, but they couldn't be in much of a binder.
Or one could get some sort of 'holder' that would allow them
to be filled as one can in a vertical file, i.e. facing front.

But...she says...what did your wife use it for previously
and why not continue to use it for the same?

--

Rex's Mom

1_Patriotic_Guy

It was sitting empty in her apartment, needing some repair. I repaired &
refinished it for her because she said that is what she wanted to store
papers and binders in -- silly me didn't measure 1st. I like your idea of
putting something in sideways -- Now I just have to design something or come
up with a store that sells something for the application. Why a
manufacturer ever made bookcases this size is beyond me, the bookcase
appears to be made in the 1930s or 1940s per engraving on the back. Nice
bookcase, but not very functional at the moment.
Respectfully,
Andy
P.s. So where do I go to find the text of that song?

"Rex's Mom" wrote in message
1_Patriotic_Guy wrote:
[...]

jstp

I have some cardboard boxes that can fit sideways on the shelves. The boxes
are standard letter size, are open at the top, and half-open on the side.
They are about 4-5" deep, so would be perfect for your situation. I think I
got them at Ikea. The advantage of these is that you can put loose leaf
letter-sized paper in them, and the box holds them up quite nicely. You can
even put a label on the side to remind you of what's in them.

nk.net...

"Rex's Mom" wrote in message
1_Patriotic_Guy wrote:
[...]

HeyBub

Red Cloud® wrote:

What you have there is called a "barristers cabinet". It was
originally intended for a lawyer to keep his law books. They make
pretty good curio cabinets. They are not intended to be used as
filing cabinets, and it is a losing battle to try and make it into
one.

I think they were designed to hold folded court papers (summonses, etc.).
Letter size folded into thirds, legal folded twice, then sitting in a box ~
9" tall.

This is a FABULOUS opportunity for the two of you to do some reading
and conversing on the subject of how to resolve conflicts. If you
can't get past this fairly minor problem, you really need to consider
going for counseling. That is not a bad thing. Nobody is born knowing
how to be married, and some good professional coaching NOW could make
both of your lives better from this point onward. A lot better. Learn
how to get what you BOTH want. It ain't easy, but it can be done with
some sincere effort.

One secret of a happy marriage: Learn to pick your battles VERY
CAREFULLY! Don't be a doormat, but don't be a beligerent fool when
avoidable, either.

Very bad advice. One need only master two phrases to be a hero to the little
lady:

1. "Yes, dear."
2. "Tell me more."

Goedjn

The inside measurement of each shelf is 7 1/2" deep by 11 1/4" tall. Since
a standard sheet of paper is wider than the bookshelf is deep, I am
perplexed on how to use it to store all her abbundance of papers. I thoght
of removing the back, but since each shelf lifts of as an individual unit
and has one glass door per shelf, removing the back would destroy its
structural integrity. I can't get rid of it and stay happily married. And

Shove everything in at an angle, like this top view:

[A\\\\\\\V//////A]

Note that the 'V' and the 'A's are blocks of wood.

Rex's Mom

1_Patriotic_Guy wrote:

It was sitting empty in her apartment, needing some repair. I repaired &
refinished it for her because she said that is what she wanted to store
papers and binders in -- silly me didn't measure 1st. I like your idea of
putting something in sideways -- Now I just have to design something or come
up with a store that sells something for the application. Why a
manufacturer ever made bookcases this size is beyond me, the bookcase
appears to be made in the 1930s or 1940s per engraving on the back. Nice
bookcase, but not very functional at the moment.

as others have noted, they are called barrister bookcases
and law related books might be a more suitable size. It
would be ideal, btw, for knicknacks as it cuts down on the
dusting enormously.

It would also work brilliantly for paperbacks!
P.s. So where do I go to find the text of that song?

http://www.stlyrics.com/lyrics/achor...didforlove.htm

(it was a simple Google!)

While I disagree with much of what Red Cloud said about
marriage, he does have a point about compromise and discussion.

Best of luck.

Rex's Mom

"Rex's Mom" wrote in message

1_Patriotic_Guy wrote:

[...]

Kathy

"1_Patriotic_Guy" wrote in
message
ink.net...
All ideas and humor welcome.

While this is a serious topic, I could use some

humor too.
The good news is I got married. The bad news is

my wife is emotionally
attached to a stackable wooden bookcase with

glass folding doors for each
shelf that is an unusual size.

The inside measurement of each shelf is 7 1/2"

deep by 11 1/4" tall. Since
a standard sheet of paper is wider than the

bookshelf is deep, I am
perplexed on how to use it to store all her

abbundance of papers.

Buy a file cabinet and use the bookcase for a
display case.
Is it one of those that comes apart into sections?
If so, do you have the bottom section with the
legs?

David Martel

Guy,

This product will do the job

http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/st...roductId=14979

as will this product

http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/st...roductId=50905

I suspect that as trip to any office supply store will produce other
solutions.

Dave M.

I have something like this
http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/st...roductId=12176
in smoked plastic. I'm not sure where it came from, but it holds a lot of
paper. This one looks nice, too.

[...]

PipeDown

"1_Patriotic_Guy" wrote in message
ink.net...
She has already filled all closets with her clothes and "crafting"
supplies. It is too cold here for me to sleep outside in the winter.

So what do you get in the deal? - The Garage? I hope you guys share 50/50.

Duh, if the papers don't fit then don't put them in there.

How often do these papers need to be accessed? Get a storage unit and put
all the redundant stuff (including the papers) in there. Once she gets
tired of paying the bill, maybe the papers will seem less worthy. If these
papers are so darn important to her business, then she should be responsible
for them and accept paying a little cash to see them cared for without
compromising your lifestyle by making you live in a cluttered house.

The bookcase is not the issue it seems, you should keep it and put something
that fits in there. You can't just print off another bookcase but the
papers.......................

PipeDown

"Red Cloud®" wrote in message

~
[...]

That doesn't sound anything at all like a happy (or healthy) marriage!

rusty redcloud

Generalizing about what makes a good marrage leads nowhere. There are just
too many personalities and cultures to draw any one conclusion. Ideally, I
prefer an equal partnership but some people are perfectly happy not being in
charge. To each his own and good for them.

PipeDown

"PipeDown" wrote in message
nk.net...

[...]

Oh yeah, you can also write off the cost of the storage unit if it's main
purpose is to store business related items.

Philip Lewis

"1_Patriotic_Guy" writes:
I like your idea of putting something in sideways -- Now I just have
to design something or come up with a store that sells something for
the application.

Look for magazine holders... about the right size and 2-3 inches thick.
(about a years worth of monthly magazines i guess.)

good luck!
--
be safe.
flip

Bill

You just lay down the LAW to her...

Tell her the bookcase is going and so are all those papers and that is that!

I'll be right behind you!
[See if I'm behind you, I can duck when she throws that vase at you.]

BTW - I think this is why women like to have glass objects scattered around
here and there and everywhere. These are not pretty things to look at, they
are weapons which are ready for the throwing...

*Free marrage advice any time. Just ask! I'm more than willing to help with
these things.

[...]

Lawrence Wasserman

In article . net,
1_Patriotic_Guy wrote:
...snipped...

The inside measurement of each shelf is 7 1/2" deep by 11 1/4" tall. Since
a standard sheet of paper is wider than the bookshelf is deep, I am
perplexed on how to use it to store all her abbundance of papers.

...snipped...

Fold them?

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Shelf strength & thickness for 4ft adjustable bookcase span blueman Woodworking 40 July 16th 05 12:28 AM
bookcase help George Snyder Woodworking 2 April 3rd 05 09:21 PM
boat bookcase Chris Woodworking 3 February 7th 05 04:51 PM
"safe" bookcase dimesions? Lily Fern Woodworking 23 January 24th 04 05:13 AM
which paint for going over existing finish on bookcase with kids design JD UK diy 2 October 13th 03 10:12 PM