Ron M.

Default Can't get new florescent bulbs to work... ideas????

I just replaced the two florescent bulbs in our kitchen light fixture.
The old ones suddenly just stopped working. I put the two new ones in,
and they won't come on. Dead as a doornail. I measured the output
voltage at the ends of the fixture, and they're all putting out a
little over 4 volts.

This is a fairly new fixture, about 8 years old. It has one ballast in
the middle. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Ron M.

Duane Bozarth

"Ron M." wrote:

I just replaced the two florescent bulbs in our kitchen light fixture.
The old ones suddenly just stopped working. I put the two new ones in,
and they won't come on. Dead as a doornail. I measured the output
voltage at the ends of the fixture, and they're all putting out a
little over 4 volts.

This is a fairly new fixture, about 8 years old. It has one ballast in
the middle. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Ron M.

Ballast would be first thought...

Edwin Pawlowski

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message

Ballast would be first thought...

Mine too. Check the prices before you buy. Some fixtures are cheaper than a
good ballast.

I have an under counter light in the kitchen that also serves as a night
light. When the bulb burns out, I can buy a new fixture for $1 more than
just a bulb.

Joseph Meehan

Ron M. wrote:
I just replaced the two florescent bulbs in our kitchen light fixture.
The old ones suddenly just stopped working. I put the two new ones in,
and they won't come on. Dead as a doornail. I measured the output
voltage at the ends of the fixture, and they're all putting out a
little over 4 volts.

This is a fairly new fixture, about 8 years old. It has one ballast in
the middle. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Ron M.

I will add one more thing, in addition to the ballast and power supply
problems, you may have a bad ground. While that seems less likely based on
your measurement of 4 volts (that's what is making me and others suspect the
power supply to the lamp. Even a disconnected circuit can show a few volts
due to induction.) it is possible.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

uncle k

"Ron M." wrote in message
ups.com...
I just replaced the two florescent bulbs in our kitchen light fixture.
The old ones suddenly just stopped working. I put the two new ones in,
and they won't come on. Dead as a doornail. I measured the output
voltage at the ends of the fixture, and they're all putting out a
little over 4 volts.

This is a fairly new fixture, about 8 years old. It has one ballast in
the middle. Any ideas?

By any chance are these fixtures hidden from view, above a drop-ceiling? If
so, kitchen moisture can creep into that unheated/unventilated space,
causing the contacts on both the bulbs and the fixture to eventually glaze
over.

Unc