PJ

Default Sand Filter (Pool)

I hope someone here can help me. When "winterizing" a sand filter, should
the handle be left in the "backwash" or "winterize" position? I would have
thought "winterize" was the obvious answer but my pool guy left it on
backwash. Also, should the pressure guage be taken off?
Thanks in advance!

Don Phillipson

"PJ" wrote in message

I hope someone here can help me. When "winterizing" a sand filter, should
the handle be left in the "backwash" or "winterize" position? I would have
thought "winterize" was the obvious answer but my pool guy left it on
backwash. Also, should the pressure guage be taken off?

1. Where there is any risk of freezing, remove the
drain plug from the bottom of the filter to empty it
(and leave it off all winter.) The position of the
control handle is irrelevant.
2. Yes, pressure gauges last longer if removed
in winter.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

No Spam

PJ wrote:
I hope someone here can help me. When "winterizing" a sand filter, should
the handle be left in the "backwash" or "winterize" position? I would have
thought "winterize" was the obvious answer but my pool guy left it on
backwash. Also, should the pressure guage be taken off?
Thanks in advance!

I have a hayward sand filter. The instructions say to put the
handle half way between filter and waste for winter. Remove the
guage and put it where it won't freeze.

Bob G.

On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 17:12:56 GMT, "PJ"
wrote:

I hope someone here can help me. When "winterizing" a sand filter, should
the handle be left in the "backwash" or "winterize" position? I would have
thought "winterize" was the obvious answer but my pool guy left it on
backwash. Also, should the pressure guage be taken off?
Thanks in advance!

============
I place the handle between the indents for filter/wash.rinse/
etc,....always open the bottom drain and store the "cap" with the
pressure guage in the garage over the winter...

BUT Guages are cheap ..so I .never worried about trying to protect
one...

Bob G..
Pop

"Don Phillipson" wrote in message
: "PJ" wrote in message
: ...
:
: I hope someone here can help me. When "winterizing" a sand
filter, should
: the handle be left in the "backwash" or "winterize" position?
I would have
: thought "winterize" was the obvious answer but my pool guy
left it on
: backwash. Also, should the pressure guage be taken off?
:
: 1. Where there is any risk of freezing, remove the
: drain plug from the bottom of the filter to empty it
: (and leave it off all winter.) The position of the
: control handle is irrelevant.

=== Personal experience and opinion here, but the drain plug
should be left in, but loose so it won't stop any condensate etc.
from dripping out.
Leaving it out invites critters and insects to make nests
inside, even bees & wasps

: 2. Yes, pressure gauges last longer if removed
: in winter.

=== Definitely. There is almost always SOME water left in them
as they sit installed. The diaphragms aren't very tough.
:
: --
: Don Phillipson
: Carlsbad Springs
: (Ottawa, Canada)
:
:

On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 14:43:22 -0500, No Spam
wrote:

PJ wrote:
I hope someone here can help me. When "winterizing" a sand filter, should
the handle be left in the "backwash" or "winterize" position? I would have
thought "winterize" was the obvious answer but my pool guy left it on
backwash. Also, should the pressure guage be taken off?
Thanks in advance!

I have a hayward sand filter. The instructions say to put the
handle half way between filter and waste for winter. Remove the
guage and put it where it won't freeze.

The above and draining the filter (loose plug)