J.A. Michel

Default Electrical sub-panel questions

Hi,
I am getting a new manufactured home delivered soon. I intend to build a
nice double car garage on it myself once it arrives. Because I want to
finish the basement at some point in the future, I'd like to leave as many
spots in the house's main 200A panel open as possible. So, that leads me to
the use of a sub-panel for the garage.

I intend to install a 100A main lug load center in the garage, and feed it
with a 60A breaker from the main, with #4 AWG wire.

As for loads, this is what I intend to run in the garage:
220V air compressor that draws 15A
220V air conditioner that draws 20-30A (not sure about an exact rating, I
haven't bought it yet)
10-12 fluorescent light fixtures
3 light fixtures with 75watt bulbs (outside lights)
1 refrigerator
2 garage door openers
Various 120V outlets (about 14)

Is a 60A breaker and #4 wire sufficient for a setup like this? The wire
runs to the sub-panel would be fairly short - 30 to 40 feet.

--
Joe Michel
NAR 82797 L2

zxcvbob

J.A. Michel wrote:
[...]

Your subpanel will probably be rated for 100A anyway. I think your 60A
breaker is fine, but I might use a 70A breaker if I could find one just
because your wire and box can handle it and it'll only cost another
couple of dollars. (The price takes a big jump when you go higher than
70A.)

I have a similar circuit to my garage with a 60A breaker and a mix of #6
copper wire and #4 aluminum triplex cable. Or maybe the aluminum was
#3, I don't remember, it's something called "periwinkle". Anyway, it
works just fine -- but I haven't fired up the arc welder yet. I have
run the air compressor and the table saw and a bunch of lights at the
same time without any problems.

I really doubt that the air conditioner is gonna draw as much as you think.

Best regards,
Bob
RBM

Ditto Bob, in fact if you run 4/3 Romex with copper conductors you can
increase the main up to 100 amps if necessary
"zxcvbob" wrote in message
J.A. Michel wrote:
[...]

copper wire and #4 aluminum triplex cable. Or maybe the aluminum was #3,
I don't remember, it's something called "periwinkle". Anyway, it works
just fine -- but I haven't fired up the arc welder yet. I have run the
air compressor and the table saw and a bunch of lights at the same time
without any problems.

I really doubt that the air conditioner is gonna draw as much as you
think.

Best regards,
Bob

SQLit

"J.A. Michel" wrote in message
Hi,
I am getting a new manufactured home delivered soon. I intend to build a
nice double car garage on it myself once it arrives. Because I want to
finish the basement at some point in the future,

Manufactured Home and BASEMENT?????? New type of installation to me. Please
post pictures.

Manufactured home equals on wheels not prefab.

RBM

In the Northeast, they build them as "boxes", transport the boxes on
trailers, then lift the sections onto your foundation and bolt the sections
together. They also pre wire each section and have quick connects that go
between the sections and generally a circuit breaker panel dangling from the
bottom, all wired and ready to go

"SQLit" wrote in message

"J.A. Michel" wrote in message
Hi,
I am getting a new manufactured home delivered soon. I intend to build a
nice double car garage on it myself once it arrives. Because I want to
finish the basement at some point in the future,

Manufactured Home and BASEMENT?????? New type of installation to me.
Please
post pictures.

Manufactured home equals on wheels not prefab.

Toller

The sub-panel should be fine; but are you sure your panel has the capacity
to add all that?
Probably does, but you might want to check it out first.

J.A. Michel

I'm getting a Wardcraft home. http://www.wardcraft.com/

These are just like any other stick-built home, it's just built on a skid
instead of a foundation. These homes are excellent quality, and a good
value compared to some of the alternatives we looked at. This house will be
delivered to my site nearly completed, and in one piece. (I'm not sure how
they drive a 28 ft wide by 56ft long house down the road, but they do!)

I will have the site prepped with a 9ft basement with poured walls, garage
foundation and driveway ready to go. After it is set, the house is bolted
down to the foundation as any other house.

--

"SQLit" wrote in message

"J.A. Michel" wrote in message
Hi,
I am getting a new manufactured home delivered soon. I intend to build a
nice double car garage on it myself once it arrives. Because I want to
finish the basement at some point in the future,

Manufactured Home and BASEMENT?????? New type of installation to me.
Please
post pictures.

Manufactured home equals on wheels not prefab.

Amun

I've heard of these too.
Was watching some show on tv that they were putting one of these up
(together ?)
Never seen one actually built though.

My guess is that cost to truck in the ready made pieces would still be
higher than standard construction for most areas.
And there are only so many shapes that could work, eg "ranch style" but not
"split/multistory"

The time factor of having everything done (and painted) in a day or two on
site, might appeal to a lot of people.

But I do have to ask the original poster.
If you have a problem,......who pays for the shipping back to the factory to
get it fixed ?
LOL

AMUN

news

"SQLit" wrote in message

"J.A. Michel" wrote in message
Hi,
I am getting a new manufactured home delivered soon. I intend to build

nice double car garage on it myself once it arrives. Because I want to
finish the basement at some point in the future,

Manufactured Home and BASEMENT?????? New type of installation to me.
Please
post pictures.

Manufactured home equals on wheels not prefab.

RBM

You are absolutely correct, I was thinking main feeders

wrote in message
On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 13:48:46 -0400, "RBM" rbm2(remove
wrote:

Ditto Bob, in fact if you run 4/3 Romex with copper conductors you can
increase the main up to 100 amps if necessary

Nope, 4/3 Romex is only good for 70a. You use the 60c column for
Romex. If it is THHN you can use the 75c column 85a)
Don't get confused bu that table for "dwelling feeders". If you read
that carefully you will see it only applies to the "main feeder" for
the whole house, not a sub panel.

J.A. Michel

My guess is that cost to truck in the ready made pieces would still be
higher than standard construction for most areas.

Not in my case. Actually the cost of this home beats on-site stick-building
by a good margin. There's no General Contactor who's taking a 20 or 30%
fee. The manufacturer is big enough to get savings on materials, which are
passed on the customer.
The price of the house includes delivery, setting the house, and they build
the basement steps, too.

And there are only so many shapes that could work, eg "ranch style" but
not "split/multistory"

I am getting a ranch, but any style is avaliable, including multi-story
homes. You're only limited by your budget.

The time factor of having everything done (and painted) in a day or two
on site, might appeal to a lot of people.

Yep

But I do have to ask the original poster. If you have a
problem,......who pays for the shipping back to the factory to

get it fixed ? LOL

:-)

--
Joe Michel
NAR 82797 L2
http://home.alltel.net/jm44316

RBM

Mostly I see two story colonials in the NE. They come in four parts and they
usually stick build the garage butt up to it. They're very nice and solid.
Pain in the butt for us electricians to work in after the fact though