Bob

Default Pool Diatomaceous Earth Disposal

"Pop" wrote in message
Actually it's supposed to be good for the lawn since the tiny
shells hold water for the turf, plus DE kills off grubs and other
things like that. DE is specifically recommended for grub
control, in fact.

I believe that filter DE is different than the DE used for pest prevention.
If I remember correctly, filter DE is finer and more likely to cause
problems if inhaled.

Bob

SteveB

"Bob" wrote

I believe that filter DE is different than the DE used for pest
prevention.
If I remember correctly, filter DE is finer and more likely to cause
problems if inhaled.

Bob

Like, WOW, man! I just snorted some of this **** and I can see diatoms!

Steve (sorry, just a 60's flashback) g

Scott Sherratt

Thanks all for the ideas. Yes, I too have heard that the pool filter stuff
is processed differently and not the best stuff to have in your environment.
It also builds up, and I really don't want a layer of this stuff building up
on the lawn with the kids playing in it, creating dust, breathing it etc.
And the lawn doesn't generally do too well with pool water. Disposing of
it in the sanitary sewer may be the lesser of evils. However, I suppose I
could package it in little baggies and send it to Bob's house for resale ;-)

"SteveB" wrote in message

"Bob" wrote

I believe that filter DE is different than the DE used for pest
prevention.
If I remember correctly, filter DE is finer and more likely to cause
problems if inhaled.

Bob

Like, WOW, man! I just snorted some of this **** and I can see diatoms!

Steve (sorry, just a 60's flashback) g

Richard J Kinch

Scott Sherratt writes:

Yes, I too have heard that the pool filter stuff
is processed differently and not the best stuff to have in your
environment. It also builds up, and I really don't want a layer of
this stuff building up on the lawn with the kids playing in it,
creating dust, breathing it etc.

Since you are being so reasonable about airborne silica, you will of course
avoid the beach, especially on breezy days.
Scott Sherratt

Algae likes the pool water just fine - grows well if I don't keep up with
the chlorine. The grass just doesn't like it ... probably wierd california
grass....

wrote in message
On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 15:45:01 -0700, "Scott Sherratt"
wrote:

And the lawn doesn't generally do too well with pool water

You should not get in the water if that is true.

My city water tested right in the middle of the sweet spot with my
pool test kit (reagents) and people water their grass all the time
with it.

Scott Sherratt

Yep - I avoid the beach on very windy days. I like to be warm. Our beaches
are cold enough on calm days.

I've read other articles where people consider used Pool DE as "Haz-Mat" ...
So the truth is out there somewhere. And no, I don't wear a bunny suit & a
gas mask to the beach ... though with cold temps, and some of the strange
stuff in the water, might not be a bad idea.

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..