tom

Default How to hook up wash machine drain

Don't plug it. In 6 days this answer will disappear, too. Tom

Oscar_Lives

wrote in message
I just picked up a used washing machine to replace the one that died.
This new machine has a suds-saver, which means two drain hoses. It
came from a house with a laundry tub in the basement. The problem is
that my house does not have a basement or a laundry tub. The washer
and dryer are in a utility room with a wooden floor. Instead of a
laundry tub, there is just a piece of PVC in the wall to drain into.
Obviously not large enough for 2 washer drain hoses. While I know
plumbing and know how I could put a Tee on the pipe, I am asking if
there is a way to just plug the suds-saver hose on the wash machine,
since it wont be used anyhow. Does anyone know? Or, is there some
sort of adaptor or other device made for this? I am sure others have
had this same problem.

Thanks in advance for all help.

Mark

Did you read the manual?

Percival P. Cassidy

On 09/16/05 11:32 pm Oscar_Lives tossed the following ingredients into
the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

I just picked up a used washing machine to replace the one that died.
This new machine has a suds-saver, which means two drain hoses. It
came from a house with a laundry tub in the basement. The problem is
that my house does not have a basement or a laundry tub. The washer
and dryer are in a utility room with a wooden floor. Instead of a
laundry tub, there is just a piece of PVC in the wall to drain into.
Obviously not large enough for 2 washer drain hoses. While I know
plumbing and know how I could put a Tee on the pipe, I am asking if
there is a way to just plug the suds-saver hose on the wash machine,
since it wont be used anyhow. Does anyone know? Or, is there some
sort of adaptor or other device made for this? I am sure others have
had this same problem.

Did you read the manual?

Since he bought it used, he might not have a manual for it.

I'd forgotten all about suds-saver washers. Are they no longer made? Or
was it a regional thing? -- I know them from Australia but have never
seen one in the US.

Perce
Edwin Pawlowski

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message

I'd forgotten all about suds-saver washers. Are they no longer made? Or
was it a regional thing? -- I know them from Australia but have never seen
one in the US.

I've not seen them in many years, but then I've not seen everything in the
world. A quick check of Whirlpool web site did not show any and I think
theywere the last to make them.

Cold water washes, variable water levels, new homes with no wash tubs
contribute to their demise I guess.

Dan_Musicant

:
:Thanks in advance for all help.
:
:Mark
I too bought a used washing machine and had to hook it up. There was a
washing machine drain pipe already in the laundry room, so I hooked the
drain hose over it and hoped for the best. Being a newbie, I expected it
to work (why not?). It backed up into the room all over my wood floor. I
deftly turned off the machine and mopped up the mess and started
brainstorming my next move. I checked out a drain pipe cleaning tool
(snake) from my local tool lending library and that did it. However, I
figured it was only a matter of time until it backed up again and next
time I would probably not be there to turn off the machine in a matter
of seconds and mop up. So, I checked out my local Home Depot and saw
they had laundry tubs for sale for around $20. I went down there with a
diagram of my room including dimensions and figured the tub might just
barely fit in the space. It did, with no more than 1/4 inch to spare! It
has to be the best solution I could have hoped for. Even so, I use lint
trap filters on the drain hose coming from the machine to slow down the
accummulation of lint in the drain pipe that is inevitable over time. I
will have ample warning of that and can clean it out with a snake any
time I care too, and meantime there's no danger of a swamp on the floor.

HTH

Dan

~^Johnny^~

--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to tom, LittleMama420 wrote:
What if i have to plug it because my trailer. Is too small for a washtub? I do
all my home repairs myself and im not sure why but i cannot figure out a way
that seems secure to plug this up.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ain-32609-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, July 10, 2018 at 11:44:05 PM UTC-5, LittleMama420 wrote:
replying to tom, LittleMama420 wrote:
What if i have to plug it because my trailer. Is too small for a washtub? I do
all my home repairs myself and im not sure why but i cannot figure out a way
that seems secure to plug this up.
--

You're too late. 12 years ago, Tom was abducted by giant mutant gerbils from outer space. The Air Force was unable to intercept the gerbil's flying saucer and Tom was never seen again. It's feared that the giant mutant gerbils used Tom as a sex slave. It was a tragic loss for Tom's family and friends. The giant mutant gerbils are rumored to be enjoying themselves buggering Tom. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Space Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Uncle Monster" wrote in message
On Tuesday, July 10, 2018 at 11:44:05 PM UTC-5, LittleMama420 wrote:
replying to tom, LittleMama420 wrote:
What if i have to plug it because my trailer. Is too small for a washtub?
I do
all my home repairs myself and im not sure why but i cannot figure out a
way
that seems secure to plug this up.
--

You're too late. 12 years ago, Tom was abducted by giant mutant gerbils
from outer space. The Air Force was unable to intercept the gerbil's flying
saucer and Tom was never seen again. It's feared that the giant mutant
gerbils used Tom as a sex slave. It was a tragic loss for Tom's family and
friends. The giant mutant gerbils are rumored to be enjoying themselves
buggering Tom. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Space Monster

Oh NO !!! Another homemoaner down the outer space drain.

Those gerbils are relentless.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, July 11, 2018 at 10:20:55 PM UTC-5, catalpa wrote:
[...]

Are you able to read the date a post was made? I'll never understand why the people from homeownershub.com can't grok the date of a post. I suppose they must think someone is sitting on their hands for 10 years waiting for someone to make a comment. GEEZ! Oh well, I suppose I shouldn't be too irritated with them because they are simply inexperienced in the ways of The Web. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Compassionate Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

The date on the first post is right at the top "posted on September 17,
2005, 1:09 am"

Can't fix clueless or stupid homemoaners.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, July 12, 2018 at 10:14:13 PM UTC-5, catalpa wrote:
[...]

I hesitate to call anyone "stupid" because I've done stupid things in the past. I had to learn the ways of the Web but I started 30 years ago and earlier than that with dial-up. Remember dial-up? I find it funny that kids today have no idea what a dial-up modem sounds like. ^_^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsNaR6FRuO0

[8~{} Uncle Modem Monster