Default pumping antifreeze with a pond pump

I don't know if anyone in this group can help with this, but it's worh
a try. I'm using a small pond pump (L G Sourcing Model MD 170) to
operate a
contraption I built to open and close a small sliding wooden door on a
chicken coop on a timer. It pumps water into a jug (attached to door by
pulley) that has a slow leak so the door stays open while the pump runs
all day (jug stays full), and then at night (pump off) the water leaves
the jug and the door closes. Worked like a charm since June when I made
it, but now that cold weather is approaching, I need to modify the
system. Here's my question: Does anyone know whether or not this (or
any pond pump) will be damaged if I substitute windshield washer fluid
(methanol based) for the water? I've contacted the pump manufacturer
about this but haven't heard back yet.

Thanks

Lynn Willis

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
Here's my question: Does anyone know whether or not this (or
any pond pump) will be damaged if I substitute windshield washer fluid
(methanol based) for the water? I've contacted the pump manufacturer
about this but haven't heard back yet.

Thanks

Lynn Willis

Rather than the washer fluid, I'd consider using RV antifreeze. According
to this web site, it would be safe for your pump.
http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...13&skunum=4535

Ron Hardin

It's probably pretty poisonous to animals. Substitute sand.

--
Ron Hardin

Interesting idea. I checked out the website and maybe it will indeed
work. Thanks.

Lynn

wkearney99

Is it a closed system? As in, where does the fluid go when it drips out of
the container?

A liquid like washer fluid will evaporate, probably too fast to be
practical. You'd need something else. Automotive anti-freeze comes to mind
but can be toxic to some animals. If you rigged this thing up to use tubing
to seal up the fluid then you might consider it. Simple 1/4" tubing like
that used for micro-drip irrigation might be right. That and you could put
a 1/4" valve on it to fine-tune the flow amount.

Pond pump trips RCD Peter M UK diy 25 September 19th 19 09:16 PM
Septic Pump not Pumping Tom Home Repair 3 July 24th 05 09:51 PM
Several things wrong with new flat - no central heating, low hot water pressure even with water pump, noisey pump kiich UK diy 69 July 13th 05 07:36 PM
Silent central heating pump? David Hearn UK diy 10 June 1st 05 09:35 PM
Pump for pumping air into combi boiler exansion vessel? Rich UK diy 5 February 3rd 05 05:46 PM