Billy Thompson

Default bury conduit

I just dug a trench to bury some coax cable...thinking of putting it
into 2" pvc conduit (in it will be 4 runs of cable...directv).

I'd also like to run electric to a garage at the end of the trench
(about 50'), can i run romex in the pvc with the coax? any other tips
or suggestions?
Art Todesco

You really don't want to run power and
coax in the same conduit. I just
ran a 250 foot run in my church between
2 building to extend internet and
telephone from one building to another.
Rather than using pvc conduit and
glue joints every 10 feet, we used a
300' coil of 1" ID "irrigation pipe." This
was all one piece. It was burried using
a trenching tool .... I didn't see it
done.
I had to do a little custom grinding to
fit standard plastic boxes at the ends,
but the whole thing worked real well.
We pulled 6 cat5e cables for internet
and our Partner telephone system. Each
rectangular box at the ends has 6
RJ-45 connectors us use as needed.
We're only using 3 right now, but we
have 3 extras for growth.

Billy Thompson wrote:
I just dug a trench to bury some coax cable...thinking of putting it
into 2" pvc conduit (in it will be 4 runs of cable...directv).

I'd also like to run electric to a garage at the end of the trench
(about 50'), can i run romex in the pvc with the coax? any other tips
or suggestions?

Billy Thompson

In article ,
Art Todesco wrote:

Rather than using pvc conduit and
glue joints every 10 feet, we used a
300' coil of 1" ID "irrigation pipe." This
was all one piece. It was burried using
a trenching tool .... I didn't see it
done.

I may go with direct burial electric cable and then check out your idea
for the coax and irrigation pipe...luckily my home wireless network
covers my garage!

thanks.

Amun

"Billy Thompson" wrote in message
I just dug a trench to bury some coax cable...thinking of putting it
into 2" pvc conduit (in it will be 4 runs of cable...directv).

I'd also like to run electric to a garage at the end of the trench
(about 50'), can i run romex in the pvc with the coax? any other tips
or suggestions?

Keep the runs separate.
And a bare minimum of 1' between the "power" lines and the coax.
Induction currents can happen in "dirt".

Using some type of metallic conduit for at least one of the runs will help
too
or even just wrapping them in some tinfoil before you cover them

AMUN

Phil

Billy Thompson wrote:
I just dug a trench to bury some coax cable...thinking of putting it
into 2" pvc conduit (in it will be 4 runs of cable...directv).

I'd also like to run electric to a garage at the end of the trench
(about 50'), can i run romex in the pvc with the coax? any other tips
or suggestions?

Use seperate conduit for high voltage and low voltage. PVC conduit
carrying high voltage should be buried to 18 inches as per NEC.
Definitely use conduit if doing this job for yourself. You can always
run additional cable later on in the same conduit if necessary.

Ron Hardin

I buried some 12v (but low current) coax for elements of a MW phased
array

http://home.att.net/~rhhardin/antenna.jpg shows two elements

with a step-on lawn edger when the lawn was wet, just below the
grass, the idea being just to keep it clear of the lawnmower and use the
dirt to attenuate common-mode RFI on its way to the antenna.

It also makes the coax easy to find (tune an AM radio to a weak station
and turn the radio so the station is just audible; when you drag the
radio across the coax, the signal level jumps up. Works every time.)
and repair (know the distances any connectors beforehand) since you
only have to scratch up a tiny bit of coax.

I don't know that conduit helps, in the sense that it will retain
water as well as shield from it. The dirt just below the grass is
usually dryish, which may be a better common state.

I've lost one of 8 cables to lightning in 8 years (so 64 cable-years)
but otherwise they work nicely. The lightning one wasn't a direct
hit but just a difference in ground voltage between the two ends of
a long run.

But you already have the trench, so the lawn edger suggestion has
little value, I guess.

--
Ron Hardin

Art Todesco

If I were putting in coax on my
property, I would just bury it. I'd
bury the
electrical cable the required 18" deep
(I think that's the NEC) and put the
coax cables above it a few inches under
the surface. The cable
company only goes down a few inches from
the house to the pedestal. I
did the 'conduit' thing at the church
because the telephone system is a
proprietary signal over cat5 and
internet over wireless would be a
security risk as some of the computers
in the office have private data
on them. I realize wireless can be
secure, however, with enough desire,
'locks' can be 'picked.'

Billy Thompson wrote:
In article ,
Art Todesco wrote:

Rather than using pvc conduit and
glue joints every 10 feet, we used a
300' coil of 1" ID "irrigation pipe." This
was all one piece. It was burried using
a trenching tool .... I didn't see it
done.

I may go with direct burial electric cable and then check out your idea
for the coax and irrigation pipe...luckily my home wireless network
covers my garage!

thanks.

MC

induction from close proximity power can induce quite a bit of voltage with
a long run of cable.

300 feet of over head power lines, telephone cable about 3 feet below and
unterminated on each end.
Went to terminate one end after cable was hung, once a got hold of the wire
and touched the metal can that was grounded knowcked me on my ass.

wrote in message
On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 06:49:10 -0400, "Amun"
wrote:

Keep the runs separate.
And a bare minimum of 1' between the "power" lines and the coax.
Induction currents can happen in "dirt".

Bull****. The only reason utilities have separation is so they don't
dig up each other's stuff.

Tekkie®

Amun posted for all of us...
I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

Keep the runs separate.
And a bare minimum of 1' between the "power" lines and the coax.
Induction currents can happen in "dirt".

Using some type of metallic conduit for at least one of the runs will help
too
or even just wrapping them in some tinfoil before you cover them

AMUN

Once again ABUM you prove you are an asshole!!
--
My boss said I was dumb and apathetic.
I said I don't know and I don't care...
MC

Yes twisting the the wires can reduce noise, Not the same for inductive
power

wrote in message
On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 18:52:06 -0400, "MC" wrote:

induction from close proximity power can induce quite a bit of voltage

with
a long run of cable.

That's why they twist communication cable. Common mode noise is
rejected anyway.