Norminn

Default Online Repair Manuals for Sony TV's?

It's a longshot, but I thought I would try. Four year old Sony
Trinitron TV - 27" - has power-on problem. If we shut it off, it is
exceedingly difficult to turn it back on. When we try to turn it back
on, it tries to come on and the little red lights continue to flash
rhythmically. Initially, after a couple of dozen tries, it would
finally come on. The manual refers to such a problem in
troubleshooting, says to call repair tech if shutting off power does not
clear the problem. We have repair scheduled, but just curious about
what it could be and how difficult to repair. Hubby could probably
stand the loss if he can upgrade to a giant flat panel.......... )

The owner's manual refers, I believe, to some sort of battery. Any
DIYers who have repaired TV's with similar problem or know of online
repair manuals?

MTLnews

I have most of the repair manuals for SONY TVs up to about 2003, however as
another poster mentioned, even if you could isolate the problematic
component, you'd have a hard time getting your hands on a replacement part.
It's not like the older TVs where you could just replace a tube, or
capacitor, and away you go...

However the problem on most of these units was the flyback which would
fail... I've heard of one place ( http://www.fultonradio.com/ ) which I
believe you could order a replacement unit from, but they don't come cheap,
quite often around $100 ... I've never dealt with them, but I've heard of
many people ordering from them in other groups..

If you post the model of the TV, I can check and see if your model is in my
growing collection of PDF documents.. At least if I have the shop
manual, you could maybe do some more testing to confirm if it is the
flyback.

Good Luck..
-Tony

"Norminn" wrote in message
It's a longshot, but I thought I would try. Four year old Sony
Trinitron TV - 27" - has power-on problem. If we shut it off, it is
exceedingly difficult to turn it back on. When we try to turn it back
on, it tries to come on and the little red lights continue to flash
rhythmically. Initially, after a couple of dozen tries, it would
finally come on. The manual refers to such a problem in
troubleshooting, says to call repair tech if shutting off power does not
clear the problem. We have repair scheduled, but just curious about
what it could be and how difficult to repair. Hubby could probably
stand the loss if he can upgrade to a giant flat panel.......... )

The owner's manual refers, I believe, to some sort of battery. Any
DIYers who have repaired TV's with similar problem or know of online
repair manuals?

TomH

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 10:39:02 -0400, "MTLnews"
wrote:

[...]

Hi Tony,

I'm not the original poster, but have a similar problem with
a 7-year-old Sony KV-27V65 (a.k.a. KV-27V35 US Model# ?).

This link seems to describe the problem with my Sony
( http://experts.about.com/q/1749/3834021.htm ), but I'd
like to be more certain before considering spending any
money on it.

Would you please take a look in your collection of PDF's and
see if you've got my set covered? Valid email in my sig.

Thanks,
TomH

--
TomH [ antonomasia at gmail dot com ]
MTLnews

Anyhow, TomH, check your email... I sent you a link to your service manual.
Good Luck....

On another note, lucky me.... This morning, turn on my TV (SONY KV32S22) to
watch something before leaving for work, and all was fine for about 2
minutes, the picture goes black on the bottom 1/3rd of the screen. the top
2/3rds screen shows black on both sides coming down on a slight v-shape, and
horizontal black lines across the picture that is visible. Within about 30
secs, the screen will turn black, but sound was still there... Power off,
turn back on, and it is fine for about 30 secs, then same thing all over
again...Thought maybe the Video input I was using died, so tried with the
Tuner alone, and it did the same... Damn... I checked the service manual,
but there are way too many test points, and without much previous
experience, no way of easily narrowing it down... Not sure I'm ready or
patient enough to take the try to repair yourself path just yet...I hate to
replace the unit, since the image was very clear, and the unit is about 7
years old... But I don't want to spend $150 for someone to look at it, and
tell me it will cost me another $200 to repair...

Anyone have any ideas on what it may be ?

Regards..
-Tony

"TomH" wrote in message
Hi Tony,

I'm not the original poster, but have a similar problem with
a 7-year-old Sony KV-27V65 (a.k.a. KV-27V35 US Model# ?).

This link seems to describe the problem with my Sony
( http://experts.about.com/q/1749/3834021.htm ), but I'd
like to be more certain before considering spending any
money on it.

Would you please take a look in your collection of PDF's and
see if you've got my set covered? Valid email in my sig.

Thanks,
TomH

--
TomH [ antonomasia at gmail dot com ]

PaPaPeng

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 14:49:33 -0400, "MTLnews"
wrote:

[...]

I have a 15 year old 27" SONY that also had weird intermittent display
problems. A good slap on the cabinet would clear the problem for a
while. Since the image was sharp and clear when it was OK that meant
the components and circuitry were good. The slap fix meant that
there was a loose part, likely a cold solder, somewhere. The
diagnosis agreed with the observation as, when the furnace came on
causing thermal expansion, the problem appeared or, if already there,
disappeared.

I am knowledgeable in electronics and a little on TVs. Opened the TV
up several times but was unsuccessful in locating the problem because
I couldn't reproduce the problem. If I cannot reproduce the problem
then the TV repair guy would unlikely be able to do the same. I
didn't want the set sitting in the shop for months and I didn't like
their charges either. And who wants to tote around that hernia box.

Anyway after half a dozen tries over two years I got lucky. When my
elbow brushed against a wire harness the problem appeared. I could
jiggle the harness and consistently reproduce the problem. A close
inspection of the circuit board connector pins revealed lifted solder
pads from the donut holes. Iwould have never been able the cold
solder by just looking. Resoldered the pins and the TV worked fine.

The next time another intermittent problem appeared I went straight to
the jiggle test for all the wire harnessess. Use long wood rod so
that you don't accidently get zapped. Being zapped is unpleasant but
I have never come across any report of anyone having died. I quickly
located the problem and it was again connector pins with lifted solder
pads. Resoldered the connector and the image is now even sharper and
clearer than it had ever been.

I had earlier posted my problem to the sci.electronics.repair NG and
had terribly technical suggestions which were non starters. This was
because the layout ot the PCB and the rest of the TV modules were so
compact that it was impossible to stick even a simple multimeter probe
to measure anything. And everything had to be insitu because the
harness wires were not long enough to relocate the PCB to a more
accessible place. After I posted my solution someone replied that
SONY PCBs are wellknown for developing cold solder joints. Aha.

Its next to impossible your trying to repair any circuitry components
yourself. If you want to have a go at fixing the TV yourself do the
jiggle test. Nothing technical and no parts required. Cold solder
joints are very easy to fix if you can find them. Else live with it
or junk it. As consumer electronics products stand these days it is
not worth shop repairs either. For what a service shop charges you
might as well use that money towards the price of a new TV set.

MTLnews

Well you summmarized exactly how I feel... Ran some tests yesterday and it
is sounding alot like cold solder joints... I will investigate on the
weekend...

Last night I opened it up, and cleaned out the piles of dust accumulated
inside... Since I didn't want to remove the anode cap, to discharge the
tube, I only did some limited inspection. The C board looked like it was
pulled back a bit, but that could have been from the handling to put the
beast on the table Anyhow I carefully pushed it back in, visually
inspected the undersides of the "A" board and "G" boards, and didn't notice
any soldering issues. Plugged it in, and turned it on, and immediately
noticed some horizontal lines across... Just tapped the "A" board a bit, and
it cleared... Then it ran for about 5 minutes with no problems... It
started acting up again, and eventually went black again. Nudged the
"A"board, nothing... The with the back of rubber covered screw driver, I
carefully nudged some of the componenets... And as soon as I pressed down on
the Comb Filter (CM305), the image came back.... ran for about 30 minutes..
no problems...

Decided to just close it up, since I was getting late, and I wasn't going to
touch anything on it anyway... Closed it up, put it back in it's place,
plugged it in, turned it on, left it for about 3 hours, and it was working
perfectly... This morning turned it on.. 10 minutes.. same story all over
again... Hmm... so I figure something is probably loose, and needs further
inspection. As someone suggested, probably a bad solder joint somewhere, so
probably not a big repair. When I pressed down on CM305 I guess whatever
it was, made a good connection, and stayed that way... Then when running it
for 3 hours, it was fine, untill time to cool down, when due to thermal
expansion or something, the connection is bad again...

Fixing a solder joint is child's play, however you need to find which one it
is before fixing it... Which is the long part...

Thanks
-Tony