DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   How to cut heavy fence wire? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/121253-how-cut-heavy-fence-wire.html)

Guy Scharf September 14th 05 04:25 AM

How to cut heavy fence wire?

I am replacing the railings on a deck and plan to use heavy fence wire.
This is a welded wire, galvanized, very heavy guage. It doesn't bend
(much) and comes in 4' x 16' panels rather than rolls.

I need to make a lot of cuts to get smaller pieces to fit into the
railing.

What is the best way to cut this material? One seller recommended bolt
cutters. I suppose I could use a sawzall with a fine-toothed blade but
that sounds laborious. Another friend has recommended an angle
grinder.

What works well?

Thanks!

Guy

George E. Cawthon September 14th 05 05:11 AM

Guy Scharf wrote:
I am replacing the railings on a deck and plan to use heavy fence wire.
This is a welded wire, galvanized, very heavy guage. It doesn't bend
(much) and comes in 4' x 16' panels rather than rolls.

I need to make a lot of cuts to get smaller pieces to fit into the
railing.

What is the best way to cut this material? One seller recommended bolt
cutters. I suppose I could use a sawzall with a fine-toothed blade but
that sounds laborious. Another friend has recommended an angle
grinder.

What works well?

Thanks!

Guy

The obvious answer is a hack saw, a good blade
does it fast. But a bolt cutter does it a lot
faster. Get an 18" bolt cutter from Harbor
Freight ($7 when on sale). Fast and good for
anything upto 1/4." I've used it on wire 2x4"
fabric which I think is about 12 or 10 gauge and
you hardly know when you cut.

If you have somebody to help hold the stuff an
angle grinder would work very fast. Forget the
sawsall, even a hand hack saw will be easier for
one person.

Edwin Pawlowski September 14th 05 02:04 PM

"Guy Scharf" wrote in message
What is the best way to cut this material? One seller recommended bolt
cutters.

That's what I'd use.

Tim Fischer September 14th 05 05:58 PM

Bolt cutters would be quick, but leave sharp ends, which might need to be
ground down for safety/aesthetic reasons.

Forget the sawzall -- you'll go through a bazillion blades (been there/done
that, with rebar). Forget the hacksaw for the same reason.

You can get a metal-cutting blade for a skilsaw. Works well, but makes a
TON of sparks . Probably similar to the angle grinder, which I don't own.

-Tim

Duane Bozarth September 14th 05 07:11 PM

Guy Scharf wrote:

I am replacing the railings on a deck and plan to use heavy fence wire.
This is a welded wire, galvanized, very heavy guage. It doesn't bend
(much) and comes in 4' x 16' panels rather than rolls.

I need to make a lot of cuts to get smaller pieces to fit into the
railing.

What is the best way to cut this material? One seller recommended bolt
cutters. I suppose I could use a sawzall with a fine-toothed blade but
that sounds laborious. Another friend has recommended an angle
grinder.

What works well?

Why not listen to the guy who sells the material? He's got by far the
best choice listed. You don't say just what gage these panels
are--there are many different ones. If it's what we call "hog panels"
the bolt cutter is really the only practical way. If they're lighter, a
pair of fencing pliers w/ the notch wire cutters work well and are more
nimble.

[email protected] September 14th 05 08:02 PM

What is the best way to cut this material? One seller recommended bolt
cutters. I suppose I could use a sawzall with a fine-toothed blade but
that sounds laborious. Another friend has recommended an angle
grinder.

Get a pair of heavy dykes to cut the wire.

G Henslee September 14th 05 08:05 PM

wrote:

Get a pair of heavy dykes to cut the wire.

Now there's an idea. I understand that AMUN rents his wife and daughter
out for this very thing. You can just sit back and watch.

Goedjn September 14th 05 10:03 PM

I am replacing the railings on a deck and plan to use heavy fence wire.
This is a welded wire, galvanized, very heavy guage. It doesn't bend
(much) and comes in 4' x 16' panels rather than rolls.

I need to make a lot of cuts to get smaller pieces to fit into the
railing.

What is the best way to cut this material? One seller recommended bolt
cutters. I suppose I could use a sawzall with a fine-toothed blade but
that sounds laborious. Another friend has recommended an angle
grinder.

What works well?

Knipex Compact Bolt-cutters. They're the size of
regular wire-cutters, but double action like 3' bolt cutters
(aka, "keys")
http://www.knipex.de/index.php?id=78...ukat=schneid10

Fence pliers good if you've got the hand-strength to work them,
because you can bend and twist with them too, but I've never
seen any with the compound hinge that makes the Knipex so much
fun to cut with.

--Goedjn

[email protected] September 16th 05 03:52 AM

G Henslee wrote:
wrote:

Get a pair of heavy dykes to cut the wire.

Now there's an idea. I understand that AMUN rents his wife and daughter
out for this very thing. You can just sit back and watch.

Sorry, meant "dikes", as in electrical. Worked for me.

Oscar_Lives September 17th 05 01:28 AM

"Boots" wrote in message
get a good set of bolt cutters
wrote in message
oups.com..
.

G Henslee wrote:
wrote:

Get a pair of heavy dykes to cut the wire.

Now there's an idea. I understand that AMUN rents his

wife and daughter
out for this very thing. You can just sit back and watch.

Sorry, meant "dikes", as in electrical. Worked for me.

I think you meant to say "diagonal cutting pliers".

harold balls September 22nd 05 01:57 AM

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 17:03:03 -0400, Goedjn wrote:

[...]

I'd use a cutoff grinder.

SteveB September 22nd 05 04:22 AM

"harold balls" wrote in message
[...]

A cut off grinder will work. I have worn out about ten cut off grinders in
my lifetime. They are, without a doubt, the nastiest, dirtiest, most
dangerous way of cutting things that I can think of. If you use them
properly, they will do the job. BUT, if you have a lot to cut, and you want
to do it easily, safely, and quickly, GET SOME BOLT CUTTERS. Crimineltly,
you can get a cheap pair for $20 today.

Why in the world even mess with a grinder even if you have one?

Steve

Goedjn September 22nd 05 04:41 PM

Fence pliers good if you've got the hand-strength to work them,
because you can bend and twist with them too, but I've never
seen any with the compound hinge that makes the Knipex so much
fun to cut with.

--Goedjn

I'd use a cutoff grinder.

Yeah, you'd probably use a chainsaw to cut brush, too.
which is a bad idea for many of the same reasons.

DJ September 22nd 05 05:21 PM

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 11:41:01 -0400, Goedjn wrote:

Fence pliers good if you've got the hand-strength to work them,
because you can bend and twist with them too, but I've never
seen any with the compound hinge that makes the Knipex so much
fun to cut with.

--Goedjn

I'd use a cutoff grinder.

Yeah, you'd probably use a chainsaw to cut brush, too.
which is a bad idea for many of the same reasons.

Not if you have the proper attachment. There is a guy here in SW Idaho
who came up with a "brush cutting" attachment. It basically looks like
the stationary bar on a sickle bar cutter or a hedge trimmer. It bolts
to the side of the bar. As you know, when cutting brush the tendency
is for the chain to just pull the limbs towards the saw w/o cutting
them, possibly jamming and/or derailing the chain. This attachment's
fingers "catches" the limbs/brush and hold them so the chain can do
it's thing. They showed a video of it, worked about as good a regular
hedge trimmer.

DJ

Tom[_52_] June 6th 16 02:44 AM

How to cut heavy fence wire?

replying to sleepdog, Tom wrote:
You will get carpal tunnel , trust me..forget the snips.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ire-31727-.htm

Terry Coombs[_2_] June 6th 16 03:13 AM

How to cut heavy fence wire?

Tom wrote:
replying to sleepdog, Tom wrote:
You will get carpal tunnel , trust me..forget the snips.

Another ****in' idiot replying to a post that's 11 years old .
Home-Moaners Hub , the webtv of the new millenium .

--
Snag

MaggieJ July 31st 18 05:44 PM

How to cut heavy fence wire?

replying to Guy Scharf, MaggieJ wrote:
Ive seen advice to use a circular saw with a metal cutoff blade. I have a 3
3/8 Makita handheld I intend to use.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ire-31727-.htm

Uncle Monster[_2_] July 31st 18 06:08 PM

How to cut heavy fence wire?

On Tuesday, July 31, 2018 at 11:44:07 AM UTC-5, MaggieJ wrote:
replying to Guy Scharf, MaggieJ wrote:
Ive seen advice to use a circular saw with a metal cutoff blade. I have a 3
3/8 Makita handheld I intend to use.
--

You're too late. 10 years ago, Guy Scharf was abducted by giant mutant gerbils from outer space. The Air Force was unable to intercept the space gerbil's flying saucer and Guy Scharf has never been seen or heard from again. It's feared he was used as a sex slave before the giant mutant space gerbils ate him. It was a tragic loss for his family and friends. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Sad Monster

Terry Coombs[_2_] July 31st 18 06:45 PM

How to cut heavy fence wire?

On 7/31/2018 11:44 AM, MaggieJ wrote:
replying to Guy Scharf, MaggieJ wrote:
Ive seen advice to use a circular saw with a metal cutoff blade. I
have a 3
3/8 Makita handheld I intend to use.

I hope your insurance is paid up . Use a bolt cutter .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old