Fix holes in hollow core door

Old September 12th 05, 01:47 AM
Puzzled

Default Fix holes in hollow core door

I have an exterior hollow core wood door with a couple of holes punched thru
the skin. The holes are about 2 inches wide and 3/4 inches high. The door
permits access from the carport to the back yard, so it doesn't have to look
perfect.
Does anyone know of any tape or something simple I can use to repair the
holes before I paint the door? I don't want to replace the door just for
two little holes.

Thanks! Peter

Old September 12th 05, 02:18 AM
On My Way

I have had pretty good luck using Fix All or Rock Hard Putty to repair
those kind of holes.

--
On My Way
On My Way's Profile: http://www.homeplot.com/member.php?userid=13

Old September 12th 05, 03:03 AM
George E. Cawthon

Puzzled wrote:
I have an exterior hollow core wood door with a couple of holes punched thru
the skin. The holes are about 2 inches wide and 3/4 inches high. The door
permits access from the carport to the back yard, so it doesn't have to look
perfect.
Does anyone know of any tape or something simple I can use to repair the
holes before I paint the door? I don't want to replace the door just for
two little holes.

Thanks! Peter

Sure. The trick with most of these repairs is to
make the repair a decoration. Put a 4" x width of
door minus 2" masonite over the holes. Or
depending on the positions make three or four
3"x4" blocks and put them in a decorative pattern.
Attach with contact glue or just use yellow
carpenters glue with weight. Paint the blocks
before you attach, if you aren't going to paint
the door, or paint after you attach if you will
repaint the door.
Old September 12th 05, 03:32 AM
Savvy 1

"Puzzled" wrote in message
I have an exterior hollow core wood door with a couple of holes punched
thru
the skin. The holes are about 2 inches wide and 3/4 inches high. The
door
permits access from the carport to the back yard, so it doesn't have to
look
perfect.
Does anyone know of any tape or something simple I can use to repair the
holes before I paint the door? I don't want to replace the door just for
two little holes.

Thanks! Peter

Unless you live several hundred miles away from the nearest criminal or have
nothing in side your house protecting (you, you wife, your kids, your
possessions, e.g.), you should replace that hollow core "door" with a solid
core unit and a strong dead bolt lock with a good strike ;-)

S1

Old September 12th 05, 03:58 AM
Fred

"Puzzled" wrote in message
I have an exterior hollow core wood door with a couple of holes punched
thru
the skin. The holes are about 2 inches wide and 3/4 inches high. The
door
permits access from the carport to the back yard, so it doesn't have to
look
perfect.
Does anyone know of any tape or something simple I can use to repair the
holes before I paint the door? I don't want to replace the door just for
two little holes.

Thanks! Peter

First exterior door like Savvy 1 said should be solid core.

To fix provide backing and then a dutchman repair. It will require some
skills to make the repair water proof and invisible.

Old September 12th 05, 04:47 AM
Tim Fischer

I second the "rock hard" putty recommendation (or other epoxy-based putty).
That is, if you want to keep an insecure hollow-core exterior door.

-Tim

Old September 12th 05, 09:56 AM
MasterBlaster

"Savvy 1" wrote

Unless you live several hundred miles away from the nearest criminal or have
nothing in side your house protecting (you, you wife, your kids, your
possessions, e.g.), you should replace that hollow core "door" with a solid
core unit and a strong dead bolt lock with a good strike ;-)

But, but, but....

"Puzzled" originally wrote

The door permits access from the carport to the back yard,

Open carport, open back yard?
Sounds more like a "keep the kids & dogs in the back yard" kind of door.

Old September 12th 05, 11:20 AM
calhoun

I wouldn't even screw around with it. Install a new door slab (about $28).
By the time you buy patching stuff and do all the work you could just
install a new slab.

Old September 12th 05, 02:39 PM
Amun

"Puzzled" wrote in message
I have an exterior hollow core wood door with a couple of holes punched

thru
the skin. The holes are about 2 inches wide and 3/4 inches high. The

door
permits access from the carport to the back yard, so it doesn't have to

look
perfect.
Does anyone know of any tape or something simple I can use to repair the
holes before I paint the door? I don't want to replace the door just for
two little holes.

Thanks! Peter

while you can fix it, with methods most have already posted.

Is the door usually subjected to fair abuse ?

You might want to consider cutting a chunk of at least 1/2 plywood and
nailing it over the existing door.

Won't look pretty, but may save you further patching down the road.

AMUN