Puzzled

Default Fix holes in hollow core door

I have an exterior hollow core wood door with a couple of holes punched thru
the skin. The holes are about 2 inches wide and 3/4 inches high. The door
permits access from the carport to the back yard, so it doesn't have to look
perfect.
Does anyone know of any tape or something simple I can use to repair the
holes before I paint the door? I don't want to replace the door just for
two little holes.

Thanks! Peter

On My Way

I have had pretty good luck using Fix All or Rock Hard Putty to repair
those kind of holes.

--
On My Way
On My Way's Profile: http://www.homeplot.com/member.php?userid=13

George E. Cawthon

Puzzled wrote:
I have an exterior hollow core wood door with a couple of holes punched thru
the skin. The holes are about 2 inches wide and 3/4 inches high. The door
permits access from the carport to the back yard, so it doesn't have to look
perfect.
Does anyone know of any tape or something simple I can use to repair the
holes before I paint the door? I don't want to replace the door just for
two little holes.

Thanks! Peter

Sure. The trick with most of these repairs is to
make the repair a decoration. Put a 4" x width of
door minus 2" masonite over the holes. Or
depending on the positions make three or four
3"x4" blocks and put them in a decorative pattern.
Attach with contact glue or just use yellow
carpenters glue with weight. Paint the blocks
before you attach, if you aren't going to paint
the door, or paint after you attach if you will
repaint the door.
Savvy 1

"Puzzled" wrote in message
I have an exterior hollow core wood door with a couple of holes punched
thru
the skin. The holes are about 2 inches wide and 3/4 inches high. The
door
permits access from the carport to the back yard, so it doesn't have to
look
perfect.
Does anyone know of any tape or something simple I can use to repair the
holes before I paint the door? I don't want to replace the door just for
two little holes.

Thanks! Peter

Unless you live several hundred miles away from the nearest criminal or have
nothing in side your house protecting (you, you wife, your kids, your
possessions, e.g.), you should replace that hollow core "door" with a solid
core unit and a strong dead bolt lock with a good strike ;-)

S1

Fred

"Puzzled" wrote in message
I have an exterior hollow core wood door with a couple of holes punched
thru
the skin. The holes are about 2 inches wide and 3/4 inches high. The
door
permits access from the carport to the back yard, so it doesn't have to
look
perfect.
Does anyone know of any tape or something simple I can use to repair the
holes before I paint the door? I don't want to replace the door just for
two little holes.

Thanks! Peter

First exterior door like Savvy 1 said should be solid core.

To fix provide backing and then a dutchman repair. It will require some
skills to make the repair water proof and invisible.

Tim Fischer

I second the "rock hard" putty recommendation (or other epoxy-based putty).
That is, if you want to keep an insecure hollow-core exterior door.

-Tim

MasterBlaster

"Savvy 1" wrote

Unless you live several hundred miles away from the nearest criminal or have
nothing in side your house protecting (you, you wife, your kids, your
possessions, e.g.), you should replace that hollow core "door" with a solid
core unit and a strong dead bolt lock with a good strike ;-)

But, but, but....

"Puzzled" originally wrote

The door permits access from the carport to the back yard,

Open carport, open back yard?
Sounds more like a "keep the kids & dogs in the back yard" kind of door.

Amun

"Puzzled" wrote in message
I have an exterior hollow core wood door with a couple of holes punched

thru
the skin. The holes are about 2 inches wide and 3/4 inches high. The

door
permits access from the carport to the back yard, so it doesn't have to

look
perfect.
Does anyone know of any tape or something simple I can use to repair the
holes before I paint the door? I don't want to replace the door just for
two little holes.

Thanks! Peter

while you can fix it, with methods most have already posted.

Is the door usually subjected to fair abuse ?

You might want to consider cutting a chunk of at least 1/2 plywood and
nailing it over the existing door.

Won't look pretty, but may save you further patching down the road.

AMUN

ameijers

"Puzzled" wrote in message
I have an exterior hollow core wood door with a couple of holes punched
thru
the skin. The holes are about 2 inches wide and 3/4 inches high. The
door
permits access from the carport to the back yard, so it doesn't have to
look
perfect.
Does anyone know of any tape or something simple I can use to repair the
holes before I paint the door? I don't want to replace the door just

for
two little holes.

Thanks! Peter

I tend to agree, a solid or steel door is the proper item for exterior use.
But if you are gonna paint it anyway, and are just looking for a
quick'n'dirty repair, I'd use Bondo. That is what the greenshirts used at
work on the hundred-year-old doors when they dropped the old high brass
knobs to modern ADA compliant low-mount levers, and it has held up quite
well.

aem sends....