J.A. Michel

Default Running a new sewer line

I'm planning on running a new sewer line myself. Is 4" schedule 40
sufficient for sewer line when it's buried to a depth of 10-12ft? What
about coupling the pieces of pipe together? Are glued couplers sufficient,
or should the joints have rubber sleeves over them in addition to glued
couplers?

TIA,

--
Joe Michel
NAR 82797 L2

DanG

Glue is fine. The big concern would be the depth you are working.
OSHA requires ditch shoring at 4 feet, you are well below that.
Why so deep? What kind of soil? What kind of machinery?

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"J.A. Michel" wrote in message
I'm planning on running a new sewer line myself. Is 4" schedule
40 sufficient for sewer line when it's buried to a depth of
10-12ft? What about coupling the pieces of pipe together? Are
glued couplers sufficient, or should the joints have rubber
sleeves over them in addition to glued couplers?

TIA,

--
Joe Michel
NAR 82797 L2
http://home.alltel.net/jm44316

SQLit

"J.A. Michel" wrote in message
I'm planning on running a new sewer line myself. Is 4" schedule 40
sufficient for sewer line when it's buried to a depth of 10-12ft? What
about coupling the pieces of pipe together? Are glued couplers

sufficient,
or should the joints have rubber sleeves over them in addition to glued
couplers?

TIA,

--
Joe Michel

Where I live they use 4 inch ABS for sewer lines. You had better check with
your local requirements before you dig. Primer and glue.

10-12 feet deep is really down there. You will need to open the trench at ~
8 feet wide to get that deep. (Osha trenching requirements)

Have you verified that the sewer tap is actually that deep?

J.A. Michel

Why so deep? What kind of soil? What kind of machinery?

I should have been more specific. This is new construction. The soil is
hard clay, and we have a backhoe for the digging. I want to have a 1/2 bath
in the basement and run the sewer out under the footing. The line is deep
because I'd like to avoid using a sump pump for the basement drain plumbing
if possible.

I guess I'll have a sump pump for the draintile around the foundation, so I
could use that instead. I just hate the idea of a sewage backup in the
basement because the sumper decided to go belly-up. Suggestions?

--

"J.A. Michel" wrote in message
I'm planning on running a new sewer line myself. Is 4" schedule 40
sufficient for sewer line when it's buried to a depth of 10-12ft? What
about coupling the pieces of pipe together? Are glued couplers
sufficient, or should the joints have rubber sleeves over them in
addition to glued couplers?

TIA,

--
Joe Michel
NAR 82797 L2
http://home.alltel.net/jm44316

Speedy Jim

J.A. Michel wrote:
I'm planning on running a new sewer line myself. Is 4" schedule 40
sufficient for sewer line when it's buried to a depth of 10-12ft? What
about coupling the pieces of pipe together? Are glued couplers sufficient,
or should the joints have rubber sleeves over them in addition to glued
couplers?

TIA,

The question can not be answered.

If you will be tying into a municipal sewer system,
their regs will rule.

They may ask for:
Specific soil prep/support.
Slope requirement.
Pipe larger than 4".
Pipe material.
Glued vs. O-ring joints (typical for sewer work).
Location of Test Tees.
Testing procedure.
Backfill.
Authority for final tap-in.

Do the homework with the town/county/whoever.

Jim

J.A. Michel

Do the homework with the town/county/whoever.

I tried. The village guy wasn't much help. The only requirement is a
100.00 connect fee. None of the other things you mention are required.

I live in a small town, so there's not much in the way of inspections and
big-city requirements. I'm just wondering what's common for an installation
of the type I described.

"Speedy Jim" wrote in message
J.A. Michel wrote:
[...]

Greg O

"J.A. Michel" wrote in message
Do the homework with the town/county/whoever.

I tried. The village guy wasn't much help. The only requirement is a
100.00 connect fee. None of the other things you mention are required.

I live in a small town, so there's not much in the way of inspections and
big-city requirements. I'm just wondering what's common for an
installation of the type I described.

PVC or ABS pipe is common, depending on where you live. PVC is used almost
exclusively where I live, at my dad's ABS prevails. Use what ever in common
in your area.

One thing you may want to know is how deep the main is in the street. If
your sewer is lower than the main you will need a lift pump for the sewer
line to "lift" it to the main.
Greg

ameijers

"J.A. Michel" wrote in message
Why so deep? What kind of soil? What kind of machinery?

I should have been more specific. This is new construction. The soil is
hard clay, and we have a backhoe for the digging. I want to have a 1/2

bath
in the basement and run the sewer out under the footing. The line is deep
because I'd like to avoid using a sump pump for the basement drain

plumbing
if possible.

I guess I'll have a sump pump for the draintile around the foundation, so

could use that instead. I just hate the idea of a sewage backup in the
basement because the sumper decided to go belly-up. Suggestions?

Uh, just how deep is the line in the street? That is what sets the level it
exits from your basement wall. Around here, 2-3 feet below grade is common,
so basement bathrooms aren't.

aem sends, wishing they would put a deep sewer line in here, so he could get
the long-abandoned basement floor drains working.....

aem sends...

Sherman

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 20:16:12 -0500, "J.A. Michel"
wrote:

The sewer main out in the alley is 11ft deep.

A second 'emergency' or backup sump pump.