Vince

Default How To Drain and Refill Boiler

I have a Peerless WV3 boiler as my heating system with an embedded
coil for domestic hot water.

Can somebody point me to instrux on proper drainage and refilling ?

Thanks.

Dan

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 22:01:55 GMT, Vince
wrote:

I have a Peerless WV3 boiler as my heating system with an embedded
coil for domestic hot water.

Can somebody point me to instrux on proper drainage and refilling ?

Thanks.

Is this a hot-water heating system? If so routine draining is not
recommended and serves only to introduce oxygen into the system which
causes rust.

I recommend that you go to www.heatinghelp.com and find out more than
you probably really want to know about your type heating system.

Dan
HeatMan

"Vince" wrote in message

I have a Peerless WV3 boiler as my heating system with an embedded
coil for domestic hot water.

Can somebody point me to instrux on proper drainage and refilling ?

Thanks.

Dan made a good point, but I need to ask one simple question.

Why do you want (or need to) drain the boiler?

Vince

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 00:07:19 -0400, "HeatMan"
wrote:

"Vince" wrote in message
.. .

I have a Peerless WV3 boiler as my heating system with an embedded
coil for domestic hot water.

Can somebody point me to instrux on proper drainage and refilling ?

Thanks.

Dan made a good point, but I need to ask one simple question.

Why do you want (or need to) drain the boiler?

Need to drain boiler (or Lower the water level ???) so that a
baseboard heater element may be replaced.

Vince

wrote:

I have a Peerless WV3 boiler as my heating system with an embedded
coil for domestic hot water.

Can somebody point me to instrux on proper drainage and refilling ?

Thanks.

Is this a hot-water heating system? If so routine draining is not
recommended and serves only to introduce oxygen into the system which
causes rust.

I recommend that you go to www.heatinghelp.com and find out more than
you probably really want to know about your type heating system.

Dan

Hi Dan:

Yes, ho****er heating.

Thanks.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Vince" wrote in message

Need to drain boiler (or Lower the water level ???) so that a
baseboard heater element may be replaced.

There should be a valve or two on the boiler that you can open. Shut off
the feed first, then open the drain valve. It does not have to be 100%
empty, just enough that you can replace the baseboard. It will fill itself
after you open the feed, but you may have to bleed off some air. Some
heating systems have automatic valves for that.

Vince

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 05:03:16 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Vince" wrote in message

Need to drain boiler (or Lower the water level ???) so that a
baseboard heater element may be replaced.

There should be a valve or two on the boiler that you can open. Shut off
the feed first, then open the drain valve. It does not have to be 100%
empty, just enough that you can replace the baseboard. It will fill itself
after you open the feed, but you may have to bleed off some air. Some
heating systems have automatic valves for that.

Thanks Ed:

When you refer to the "feed", is that meant to be the main feed
control for the entire house ?

There is a control valve between the cold water feed line and the
pressure regulator, which is followed by an air bleed valve. I think
that is the valve for me to use, or should I use the house main water
feed shut off control valce that is above (follows) the water meter ?

I will also shut down the electrical power to the heating system while

I have located the drain valve; it has a fitting for attaching a
garden hose to it. I can route the drain water to a nearby drywell
drain located outside my basement door.

There is a second hose spicket/valce located at the base of the boiler
cabinet. I don't think that is the valve to use when draining, as
there is no need to drain water from the boiler itself. OK?

There is a shut off valve in the return path also, between the drain
valve and the water circulator pump. I dont know if that valve must
be closed or left as is ?

I've just taken some digital pics, and can upload those for viewing at
epson photo website, if needed.

Thanks again for your info, Ed.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Vince" wrote in message

When you refer to the "feed", is that meant to be the main feed
control for the entire house ?

There is a control valve between the cold water feed line and the
pressure regulator, which is followed by an air bleed valve. I think
that is the valve for me to use, or should I use the house main water
feed shut off control valce that is above (follows) the water meter ?

No need to shut off the house. Thee should be a valve either on or just
before the boiler to shut off the feed into it.

I will also shut down the electrical power to the heating system while

Yes, I should have mentioned that. You don't want it to fire when water is
low.

I have located the drain valve; it has a fitting for attaching a
garden hose to it. I can route the drain water to a nearby drywell
drain located outside my basement door.

That's the one. You won't get a lot out of it.

There is a second hose spicket/valce located at the base of the boiler
cabinet. I don't think that is the valve to use when draining, as
there is no need to drain water from the boiler itself. OK?

Correct. As long as the line you are working on is drained yo are good to
go.

There is a shut off valve in the return path also, between the drain
valve and the water circulator pump. I dont know if that valve must
be closed or left as is ?

You should not need it.

I've just taken some digital pics, and can upload those for viewing at
epson photo website, if needed.

Thanks again for your info, Ed.

If you are still unsure,, go ahead, but I think you have the right idea.
You're welcome.