Edward Grant

Default Tankless water heaters

I stopped at Home Depot yesterday and asked about a tankless water
heater. The salesman told me that they don't carry them because they
are undependable and the parts are very expensive. That was the first
time I had heard that. How about anyone else?
Richard J Kinch

Edward Grant writes:

I stopped at Home Depot yesterday and asked about a tankless water
heater. The salesman told me that they don't carry them because they
are undependable and the parts are very expensive. That was the first
time I had heard that. How about anyone else?

That's code language for "these things are a bad idea all around", which is
what I've been saying here for years. A retailer like Home Depot has to
more or less deliver what they promise, and they can't make a business out
of selling fantasies like tankless water heaters.

We hit the swindlers' trifecta today in the Palm Beach Post newspaper: ads
for tankless water heaters, never-paint-again liquid siding, and dust mite
duct cleaning.
Andy Hill

Edward Grant wrote:
I stopped at Home Depot yesterday and asked about a tankless water
heater. The salesman told me that they don't carry them because they
are undependable and the parts are very expensive. That was the first
time I had heard that. How about anyone else?

Well, it's not like he's going to say they were the greatest thing since sliced
bread, but they weren't selling enough to make it worth their while...

I like mine, but they're certainly not for everyone. I'll let you know in
another 25 years or so about the reliability aspect...
George

Edward Grant wrote:
I stopped at Home Depot yesterday and asked about a tankless water
heater. The salesman told me that they don't carry them because they
are undependable and the parts are very expensive. That was the first
time I had heard that. How about anyone else?

They may not be able to carry the good brand (can't buy them at their
price, supplier decided homeowners who install them won't do it properly
etc) so they are badmouthing them.
smithfarms pure kona

On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 13:47:05 -0400, Edward Grant
wrote:

I stopped at Home Depot yesterday and asked about a tankless water
heater. The salesman told me that they don't carry them because they
are undependable and the parts are very expensive. That was the

first
time I had heard that. How about anyone else?

We have had a Paloma tank less water heaters for over 17 years. It
runs on propane. We had to replace one that was over 20 years old and
the current one is abut 8 years old and working beautifully. They are
expensive BUT they work perfectly. We have as much hot water as we
want. We do tend to run only one hot water thing at a time but in a
family of two, we have no more need than that.

We are not handy people and once we got it installed and connected to
our pump we have had no trouble. We do live in the sub tropics so we
do not have temperatures below 45 degrees.

Saying they don't work well is not my opinion and is just plain silly.
We do not keep hot water sitting around for no reason. All our water
runs through the Paloma and gets hot ...as we need it.

aloha,
Thunder

smithfarms.com
Farmers of 100% Kona Coffee
& other Great Stuff

PipeDown

wrote:

[...]

You actually took the advice of a HD employee to heart. I guess some are
allright, just never ask another customer, that always leads me astray.

Some HD stores (like the HD Contractors Supply kind) stock some small
capacity tankless heaters but these are not for a whole house but good for a
small shop or similar. (perfect for an outhouse)

Like any other heating/cooling device if it is properly sized for the usage
and you buy a reputable brand you should be OK. I think (my opinion here)
that some people buy undersized units (they are cheap or do not want to
upgrade gas or electrical lines) or underestimate their capacity
requirements then complain about the quality of the unit when it can't keep
up to demand.

In my case, it would require replacement of my 1/2" gas line with a 3/4"
pipe all the way back to the meter. Not the extra expense I am prepared to
pay

Unless you really need the space, you could buy 3-4 tank units before you
pay for a tankless WH.

Ashton Crusher

wrote:

I stopped at Home Depot yesterday and asked about a tankless water
heater. The salesman told me that they don't carry them because they
are undependable and the parts are very expensive. That was the first
time I had heard that. How about anyone else?

I looked into them as an alternative to the 6 gallon tank type I use
for my kitchen sink. To get anywhere near the same capacity it would
have cost at least twice as much for the unit plus I would have had to
run a 220v line to it. They might last a lot longer then the 6 gallon
water heater though since those only last me about 5 years. So a lot
depends on whether you want to invest a lot of money up front and then
not mess with it for a long time (assuming it doesn't break).
thrugoodmarshall

Edward Grant wrote:

I stopped at Home Depot yesterday and asked about a tankless water
heater. The salesman told me that they don't carry them because they
are undependable and the parts are very expensive. That was the first
time I had heard that. How about anyone else?

I've got a Bosch 250sx, and when I lived in an RV, I had a Precision Temp
RV500. I have been absolutly satisfied with both.

I've never heard that they are undependable. There is some temperature
variation under certain conditions (read "Loop Control" below). They tend
not to scale up as badly as tanked heaters, and can be descaled easily. I
suppose the parts would be expensive; the whole unit is expensive. They're
a hell of a lot easier to install, and they have the potential to be more
efficient. I say they CAN be more efficient because people who can take 30
minute showers sometimes do. Especially in winter .

Here's some things I've noticed:

Calibration:
It needs to be adjusted (calibrated) when you install it. There's a
procedure to follow, and the CEC folks are very helpful if you don't
understand.

Output:
While it will provide hot water forever, it has a finite power output. The
particular model I have restricts flow to maintain temperature.

Cycling:
Don't take Navy showers. Turn the water and leave it on until you're done.
When you turn the water off, the flame goes out. When you turn it on
again, there will be a slug of cold water in the line.

Loop Control: All tankless water heaters use loop controllers. They
measure some input values (inlet temp, flow rate, and outlet temp), control
some control values (fuel flow and on my heater, water flow), and thus
produce a desired output value (water temp). Go look it up in Wikipedia;
this is not the place for an engineering lecture.

Limitations of Loop Control:
A loop controller must balance stability and response. If the controller
instantly responds to changes in input values, the output will not be
stable. The compromise in the 250FX means that the temp will vary (3-5
degrees) for a short period of time (5-10s) when the input parameters
suddenly change (somebody abruptly opens or closes a hot water valve).
Then it will stay at setpoint again.
IF THIS BOTHERS YOU, DO NOT BUY ONE OF THESE DEVICES; YOU WILL NOT BE HAPPY.

Version 1.0 of ANYTHING...
Ain't gonna be so great. When I ordered by Bosch 240fx, (an old proven
model of the product), it was being phased out. I wound up with the Bosch
GWH635ES, which is now called the Controlled Energy Corp 250FX. This
product was just being released at the time, and IMO, they released it too
soon. After about 4 firmware upgrades, it's operated quietly, effeciently,
and reliably for almost 1 year. CEC was very helpful with the firmware
upgrades, though I did the work myself. If you buy one today, you should
get the current firmware.

This particular unit has very high output and costs about a grand.

Oh, yeah--set the temperature for the comfortable temp in your shower. Take
your shower with hot water only; it'll be the perfect temp every time. And
flushing the toilet won't fry/freeze you. (But you will get the temp
variations)

Have fun!
Terry

thrugoodmarshall wrote:

I've never heard that they are undependable. There is some temperature
variation under certain conditions (read "Loop Control" below). They tend
not to scale up as badly as tanked heaters, and can be descaled easily. I
suppose the parts would be expensive; the whole unit is expensive. They're
a hell of a lot easier to install, and they have the potential to be more
efficient. I say they CAN be more efficient because people who can take 30
minute showers sometimes do. Especially in winter .

Here's some things I've noticed:

snipped...

Thanks for your "consumer review", I found it interesting. It's the
first detailed discussion of some of the "side effects" of tankless
water heaters that I have seen.

You say the output is limited to maintaint temperature. Are you able
to take a shower and run the dishwasher and run the washing machine
all at the same time, or does this result in inadequte flow at the
shower?

If you set the control point temperature for what you like in the
shower, doesn't this make the water too cold for the washing machine
and dishwasher?

How do you descale it?

Finally, do you (or anyone) know if they make these things in electric
versions with reasonable capacity for a whole house? We live where
there is no gas avaialable, and electricity is cheap (so we heat with
all electric -- heat pump and electric backup furnace). We would need
an electric version of the tankless water heater.

Thanks,

Terry
thrugoodmarshall

Terry wrote:

Thanks for your "consumer review", I found it interesting. It's the
first detailed discussion of some of the "side effects" of tankless
water heaters that I have seen.

You say the output is limited to maintaint temperature. Are you able
to take a shower and run the dishwasher and run the washing machine
all at the same time, or does this result in inadequte flow at the
shower?

I don't know. Typically, we wash everything in cold water, so it's rare
that the washing machine would need the hot. The dishwasher, also, is
plumbed to the cold water line, and heats it own water; it's got a heating
element in the bottom (I think all dishwashers are like that).

Alright, I'll go check it. Turning on 2 showers, 1 washing machine (hot), 1
kitchen faucet (hot), 1 bathroom faucet (hot), and dishwasher (I don't
think it'll make a difference, but you asked...). Yes, the flow in the
showers is weakened. But it's still usable, and most importantly, it's
still HOT! OK, now turning on the fill faucet in the jacuzzi tub. (at
full flow, that faucet moves about 13-15 gpm--10 or so showers.) Now,
there's almost NO hot water on the upper floor, and the ground floor is
weak, too. And what's there is still at the correct temperature.

If you set the control point temperature for what you like in the
shower, doesn't this make the water too cold for the washing machine
and dishwasher?

See above washing machine & dishwasher. You can best answer that
question by filling in "what you like", "what temp you want in the w.
mach", and "what temp you want in the dishwahser". But check your
dishwasher first before worrying about it; it may not even be connected to
the hot supply.

How do you descale it?

Short answers (2):
1. Don't. Instead, get a decent water softener and feed the heater good
water.
2. Google for "descaling kit". Follow nose.

Long answer (hey, I warned you):

About water heaters and how they handle scale:
Note that tanked and tankless water heaters both produce scale, and both can
be descaled by pretty much the same process. In a tanked heater, it's not
that noticeable until the heater is FUBAR. Also, newer tanked heaters try
to cause the water flow to flush out the scale before the heater turns into
a block of limestone. Tankless heaters do this because of their
fundamental design (high velocity water flow).

My experiences:
What follows is my experience, along with some guesses as to why and how
these things happen. I'll try to make it clear when I'm speculating and
when I'm reporting what I actually saw.

Three types of water:
You get scale from stuff already in your water:
My wife and I lived in an RV (I'm a consulting Engineer; travel a lot), and
saw two kinds of water go through our RV-500: In Michigan, we saw
orange/red stain everywhere the water touched, and black scale from the hot
water system. Super Iron-Out cleaned up the stain. Conclusion: Iron-rich
water. In Ohio, the scale was white and crusty. Fizzed when mixed with
vinegar. I'm thinking calcium in the water.

Scale is not magically created; it comes from your water. So, if your water
doesn't have dissolved solids in it you won't get any scale.
My wife and I now live in a house (much gratitude to her infinite patience
putting up with living in a RV for 3 years!!). We got an appropriate water
softener for our well supply and we have no scale.

How the scale appears:
Water heater scale is produced when dissolved solids precipitate as the
water is heated. Talk to a chemist or industrial pipefitter (not plumber)
if you want more detail. With a tankless heater, the water flushes *most*
of the scale right out with the hot water. "Scaleless" tanked heaters do
the same thing by designing high-velocity water flow in the places where
scale is likely to accumulate. So, the scale come out of the heater along
with the hot water. And then promptly clogs up every &^%^$##!! screen in
your water system. Typically there are screens in the water feeds to your
washing machine, shower hot water, and sink sprayer. Well, that's where
the grit wound up in our RV.

Avoiding the problem altogether:
I'll say this again, even though it's implied above.
The best solution is to get a good water softener from Home
Depot/Lowes/Sears, etc. That's what my wife and I did in our house. It
works great, and we have not had a single speck of scale. Also, our
showers & bathtubs are clean and shiny, and we don't have to use Comet on
them. When shopping for a softener, I do NOT suggest you consult one of
the hard-sell triple-overpriced used-car salesmen that work for a company
whose name begins with "C"!!
You will NOT need to deal with the scale if you never get any.

Dealing with suspended scale in the hot water lines:
Use a filter. You'll be glad you did. (Remember those screens? It's a lot
easier to clean out ONE filter than a dozen screens. Which are buried in
your appliances) In our RV, I installed an ordinary water filter & used
spun yarn filter cartridges. Every month or so, I'd replace the filter and
pour out the quarter pound of "sand" that accumulated in the housing. If
you want a proper filter, you can get a hot-water rated one from
McMaster-Carr.

Descaling the heater:

Well, you can look up instructions on the internet, but here's what I did to
descale my RV500. I have never had to descale the 250SX.
As the scale forms, some of it will stick to the hot surfaces of the heater,
and it will build up. To descale the heater, first shut off the gas and
power. Then disconnect the heater from the water system and connect hoses
to the inlet and outlet. If you plan on doing this, put in the appropriate
valves during installation. You'll be glad you did! Next, you mix up the
appropriate concentration of acid (I used 10% sulfamic acid by weight.
That's ~1/2 5-gal bucket of water + 2 lbs of sulfamic acid). Use hot water
and dissolve it all. Stick the pump and the other hose into a second
bucket. Use ty-wraps to secure the hoses to the bucket handle so they
don't fall out! Pour the acid solution into the bucket. Plug in the pump.
Acid now flows round and round, and the solution in the bucket fizzes like
crazy. (That's why you only make HALF a bucket of solution!). After a
while, the fizzing peters out. When there's no more fizzy bubbles coming
back from the return hose, the reaction has stopped. At this point, you
have either run out of acid or you have run out of scale. Throw some
baking soda into the bucket. If it fizzes, you have run out of scale.
Otherwise you have run out of acid. If you're not out of scale, mix up
another batch of acid and do it again. When the scale is all gone, connect
up the heater again, and flush the remaining acid out of the lines by
opening up the hot water faucet nearest the heater.

Dealing with scale is a major PITA. Most people don't do it at all, and
just throw out their water heater when it gets ruined. The best solution
is to get your water analyzed and install the appropriate softener or iron
remover.

Finally, do you (or anyone) know if they make these things in electric
versions with reasonable capacity for a whole house? We live where
there is no gas avaialable, and electricity is cheap (so we heat with
all electric -- heat pump and electric backup furnace). We would need
an electric version of the tankless water heater.

Yeah, you can get electric ones, too. I think CEC sells them. The 250FX
outputs (at most) 142,968 Btu/h (41.8 kW). Efficiency is 86.5%, making
maximum input 175,000 Btu/h (51.2kW). For electric with the same
efficiency and output you'd need a little over 230A(RMS) at 220V(RMS).

Thanks,

Terry

Terry

thrugoodmarshall wrote:

Terry wrote:

You say the output is limited to maintaint temperature. Are you able
to take a shower and run the dishwasher and run the washing machine
all at the same time, or does this result in inadequte flow at the
shower?

I don't know. Typically, we wash everything in cold water, so it's rare
that the washing machine would need the hot. The dishwasher, also, is
plumbed to the cold water line, and heats it own water; it's got a heating
element in the bottom (I think all dishwashers are like that).

They all have heaters, but I thought they heated the incoming hot
water to be even hotter. I'll have to look at ours.

Alright, I'll go check it. Turning on 2 showers, 1 washing machine (hot), 1
kitchen faucet (hot), 1 bathroom faucet (hot), and dishwasher (I don't
think it'll make a difference, but you asked...). Yes, the flow in the
showers is weakened. But it's still usable, and most importantly, it's
still HOT! OK, now turning on the fill faucet in the jacuzzi tub. (at
full flow, that faucet moves about 13-15 gpm--10 or so showers.) Now,
there's almost NO hot water on the upper floor, and the ground floor is
weak, too. And what's there is still at the correct temperature.

Interesting, sounds pretty good.

Thanks for the info, and the further info on descaling.

Finally, do you (or anyone) know if they make these things in electric
versions with reasonable capacity for a whole house? We live where
there is no gas avaialable, and electricity is cheap (so we heat with
all electric -- heat pump and electric backup furnace). We would need
an electric version of the tankless water heater.

Yeah, you can get electric ones, too. I think CEC sells them. The 250FX
outputs (at most) 142,968 Btu/h (41.8 kW). Efficiency is 86.5%, making
maximum input 175,000 Btu/h (51.2kW). For electric with the same
efficiency and output you'd need a little over 230A(RMS) at 220V(RMS).

230A is a lot of current! I got curious and did some googling, and
found electric versions with about 1/2 that wattage (28KW). They
require a 120A breaker, twice the size of my electric furnace. I guess
you'd need to check out your electrical service to see if you have
enough capacity to install this.

Thanks,

Terry

Edwin Pawlowski

"Terry" wrote in message

The dishwasher, also, is
plumbed to the cold water line, and heats it own water; it's got a heating
element in the bottom (I think all dishwashers are like that).

They all have heaters, but I thought they heated the incoming hot
water to be even hotter. I'll have to look at ours.

Correct Terry. To plumb to cold water is truly dumb. Most hot water heaters
are set at about 120 degrees. To sanitize, a dishwasher heats the water to
something like 160 or 180 on one or two of the cycles. In most cases, it is
cheaper and more efficient to heat the water with gas or oil as opposed to
the electric in the DW. Dishwasher detergents are not designed for cold
water use and will not clean as well or rinse as well.

Quoted from a major appliance company DW installation guide
Water Supply Requirements

.. A hot water line with 20-120 psi (138-862 kPa) water

pressure.

.. 120°F (49°C) water at dishwasher.

.. 3/8" O.D. copper tubing with compression fitting

This is from their Use and Care guide

Hot water dissolves and activates the dishwashing detergent. Hot

water also dissolves grease on dishes and helps glasses dry spotfree.

Is the water temperature too low? For best dishwashing

results, water should be 120°F (49°C) as it enters the dishwasher.

Loads may not wash as well if the water temperature is too low.

Water that is too hot can make some soils harder to remove and

cause certain detergent ingredients not to function. If your water

heater is located far from the dishwasher, it may be necessary to

run the hot water at the faucet closest to the dishwasher to

minimize the amount of cold water in the water line

From the Troubleshooting tips:

Spots and stains on dishes

 Spotting and filming on dishes

Is the water temperature too low? For best dishwashing

results, water should be 120°F (49°C) as it enters the

dishwasher. Refer to the "Performance Tips" section.