hanson

Default Soldering Technique...

I had to solder some copper water supply pipes recently. Fortunately,
none of the connections leaked. I am using a standard butane (blue)
torch.

With most joints, when I touched the solder to the heated metal, the
solder was drawn into the joint just as it should be. But on a couple
of joints, the melted solder seemed to ball up on the surface of the
pipe (though these connection still did not leak).

Why would this happen?
-Did I not clean the surface properly?
-Did I not apply enough flux?
-Did I overheat the joint before applying the solder?

Thanks for your help.

Travis Jordan

hanson wrote:
Why would this happen?

Poor surface preparation, not enough flux, or joint inadquately heated..

Maybe some or all of the sources you named. If the tubing is cleaned
until shiny, well fluxed, and heated properly, it should be almost
automatic.

As to heating, I'd suggest that you first be sure there's no water in
the area. Then heat the far side of the joint while touching the solder
to the near side (the gap.) With moderate heating rate. As soon as
solder flows, remove torch and continue to feed solder until excess
shows. Wipe gently if desired, and let cool slowly. Works for me- YMMV.

HTH,

Amun

"hanson" wrote in message
oups.com...
I had to solder some copper water supply pipes recently. Fortunately,
none of the connections leaked. I am using a standard butane (blue)
torch.

With most joints, when I touched the solder to the heated metal, the
solder was drawn into the joint just as it should be. But on a couple
of joints, the melted solder seemed to ball up on the surface of the
pipe (though these connection still did not leak).

Why would this happen?
-Did I not clean the surface properly?
-Did I not apply enough flux?
-Did I overheat the joint before applying the solder?

Thanks for your help.

All , or any one of the above, and also add "underheating joints"

AMUN

G Henslee

Travis Jordan wrote:
hanson wrote:

Why would this happen?

Poor surface preparation, not enough flux, or joint inadquately heated..

4. Took advice from AMUN.

--
WARNING:

Do NOT under any circumstances take advice from an idiot named AMUN.

AMUN is a clueless moron regarding tile, electrical and various other
construction issues. As things go AMUN will (thankfully) dissapear
as his kind usually does when confronted with their bad advice by
those who are knowledgeable in their respective fields.
Until then - BEWARE

Jack

I echo already posting.. adding for emphasis the heating of the joint
AWAY, or on the far side of the joint from where you are touching the
solder to... in other words if you make the hottest part of the joint
the place farthest from where the solder is applied, the solder will
"travel" around/through the joint giving you a good, well soldered
joint.

Phil Munro

In addition to all the other good answers, do NOT trust that balled up
joint. Take it appart and redo it. This is just my opinion and is
top posted for your reading convenience. --Phil

hanson wrote:

I had to solder some copper water supply pipes recently. Fortunately,
none of the connections leaked. I am using a standard butane (blue)
torch.

With most joints, when I touched the solder to the heated metal, the
solder was drawn into the joint just as it should be. But on a couple
of joints, the melted solder seemed to ball up on the surface of the
pipe (though these connection still did not leak).

Why would this happen?
-Did I not clean the surface properly?
-Did I not apply enough flux?
-Did I overheat the joint before applying the solder?

Thanks for your help.

Youngstown State University
Youngstown, Ohio 44555
Amun

"G Henslee" wrote in message
Travis Jordan wrote:
hanson wrote:

Why would this happen?

Poor surface preparation, not enough flux, or joint inadquately heated..

4. Took advice from AMUN.

--
WARNING:

Do NOT under any circumstances take advice from an idiot named AMUN.

AMUN is a clueless moron regarding tile, electrical and various other
construction issues. As things go AMUN will (thankfully) dissapear
as his kind usually does when confronted with their bad advice by
those who are knowledgeable in their respective fields.
Until then - BEWARE

For the last time henslee.
I refuse to answer and have blocked your personal emails, and have NO
interest in either seeing you naked or letting you give me something called
a "blow".
No matter how many newsgroups you keep following me to.

Nor do I have any wish or inclination to join your pro-gay clubs or
websites.
You are free to choose your own sexual preferences, and share them with like
minded people.

But I'm straight ! AND NOT INTERESTED
Get over it already.

Is that clear enough ?

AMUN

Amun

"Jack" wrote in message
ups.com...
I echo already posting.. adding for emphasis the heating of the joint
AWAY, or on the far side of the joint from where you are touching the
solder to... in other words if you make the hottest part of the joint
the place farthest from where the solder is applied, the solder will
"travel" around/through the joint giving you a good, well soldered
joint.

Actually if you are doing it correctly (after properly cleaning and
fluxing) you heat the joint first.

Then once to temperature you remove the torch and apply the solder.

It should melt and flow into the joint all by itself, then cool and harden.

Do it that way and you CAN'T have a cold solder joint.

AMUN

G Henslee

Amun wrote:

For the last time henslee.
I refuse to answer and have blocked your personal emails, and have NO

AMUN

Let's get this straight ****tard, I have not and never will send you an
email. As you can see I snipped the rest of your tripe. FOAD

You're on your last gasp here, **** for brains.

--
WARNING:

Do NOT under any circumstances take advice from an idiot named AMUN.

AMUN is a clueless moron regarding tile, electrical and various other
construction issues. As things go AMUN will (thankfully) dissapear
as his kind usually does when confronted with their bad advice by
those who are knowledgeable in their respective fields.
Until then - BEWARE

RicodJour

Jack wrote:
I echo already posting.. adding for emphasis the heating of the joint
AWAY, or on the far side of the joint from where you are touching the
solder to... in other words if you make the hottest part of the joint
the place farthest from where the solder is applied, the solder will
"travel" around/through the joint giving you a good, well soldered
joint.

Right. As a point of clarification, I tell people to heat the far side
of the fitting. If you tell them to heat the joint some people heat
the pipe more than the fitting. Both will work, but keeping the heat
applied to the far side of the fitting will ensure solder flow with a
minimum of applied heat.

Amun

"G Henslee" wrote in message
Amun wrote:

[...]

Sigh, no matter how many times you keep giving me "my last chance".

I am not now, nor will I EVER, been interested in you or your pro-gay
lifestyle.

As you have already requested that others here never find out about your
personal sexual preferences.
I suggest you quit searching out all my posts.

And I will continue to ignore yours.

Don't worry, someday you will find some boy you may even like better for a
pen pal.

But I just cannot return the feelings which your letters have expressed for
me.

Sorry, but I prefer girls and no amount of your pleading will change that.

AMUN

RicodJour

Amun wrote:
"G Henslee" wrote in message

Okay, we got it. You hate each other. Please PLONK each other and
let's move on.

G Henslee

Amun offered his oldest male born when he wrote:

You are free to choose your own sexual preferences, and share them with
my gay son

AMUN

snipped another weak-assed attempt by A Morononic Underdeveloped Nit to
save face

I'm not interested in your worn out butt-buddy gay son. I'm sure your
daughters can handle the (blow) job quite nicely. No doubt you've
trained them well.

--
WARNING:

Do NOT under any circumstances take advice from an idiot named AMUN.

AMUN is a clueless moron regarding tile, electrical and various other
construction issues. As things go AMUN will (thankfully) dissapear
as his kind usually does when confronted with their bad advice by
those who are knowledgeable in their respective fields.
Until then - BEWARE

Doug Miller

In article .com, "hanson" wrote:

With most joints, when I touched the solder to the heated metal, the
solder was drawn into the joint just as it should be. But on a couple
of joints, the melted solder seemed to ball up on the surface of the
pipe (though these connection still did not leak).

Why would this happen?
-Did I not clean the surface properly?

Sounds like it.
-Did I not apply enough flux?

Sounds like it. Did you flux both parts, pipe and fitting?
-Did I overheat the joint before applying the solder?

Maybe.

--
Regards,

Jeff Wisnia

G Henslee wrote:
Amun offered his oldest male born when he wrote:

You are free to choose your own sexual preferences, and share them with
my gay son

AMUN

snipped another weak-assed attempt by A Morononic Underdeveloped Nit to
save face

I'm not interested in your worn out butt-buddy gay son. I'm sure your
daughters can handle the (blow) job quite nicely. No doubt you've
trained them well.

Both of you guys...Get down to the principal's office, raht now!

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Tekkie®

Amun posted for all of us...
I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

AMUN

Is that gay arabic for Stumped? He's now calling other posters gay which
leaves me to believe he is conflicted about his sexuality and tries to purge it
by belching out unsafe and bad "advice"
--

Tekkie
Tekkie®

RicodJour posted for all of us...

Jack wrote:
I echo already posting.. adding for emphasis the heating of the joint
AWAY, or on the far side of the joint from where you are touching the
solder to... in other words if you make the hottest part of the joint
the place farthest from where the solder is applied, the solder will
"travel" around/through the joint giving you a good, well soldered
joint.

Right. As a point of clarification, I tell people to heat the far side
of the fitting. If you tell them to heat the joint some people heat
the pipe more than the fitting. Both will work, but keeping the heat
applied to the far side of the fitting will ensure solder flow with a
minimum of applied heat.

Heat the far side? Never heard of that. Aren't you directing the heat toward
you then?
--

Tekkie
RicodJour

Tekkie=AE wrote:
RicodJour posted for all of us...

Right. As a point of clarification, I tell people to heat the far side
of the fitting. If you tell them to heat the joint some people heat
the pipe more than the fitting. Both will work, but keeping the heat
applied to the far side of the fitting will ensure solder flow with a
minimum of applied heat.

Heat the far side? Never heard of that. Aren't you directing the heat tow=

ard
you then?

Heat the far side of the fitting from where you're applying the solder.
It may be in your general direction, but you're a couple of feet away.
You're not going to burst into flame.

Jeff Wisnia

Jack wrote:

I echo already posting.. adding for emphasis the heating of the joint
AWAY, or on the far side of the joint from where you are touching the
solder to... in other words if you make the hottest part of the joint
the place farthest from where the solder is applied, the solder will
"travel" around/through the joint giving you a good, well soldered
joint.

Right. As a point of clarification, I tell people to heat the far side
of the fitting. If you tell them to heat the joint some people heat
the pipe more than the fitting. Both will work, but keeping the heat
applied to the far side of the fitting will ensure solder flow with a
minimum of applied heat.

Heat the far side? Never heard of that. Aren't you directing the heat toward
you then?

Yeah, but it sure beats scorching or setting ablaze the wall or ceiling
behind almost every pipe. :-)

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Amun

"Tekkie®" wrote in message
Amun posted for all of us...
I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

AMUN

Is that gay arabic for Stumped? He's now calling other posters gay which
leaves me to believe he is conflicted about his sexuality and tries to

purge it
by belching out unsafe and bad "advice"
--

Tekkie

PLONKED another one

AMUN

Soldering advice given! Ivan Vegvary Metalworking 11 June 15th 05 05:30 AM
Soldering T&E Nick Atty UK diy 20 May 24th 05 06:45 PM
uh, oh .. electrical soldering technique question` Grant Erwin Metalworking 17 February 10th 05 07:46 AM
ADV: All-Spec Limited Time Sale - $89 Weller Soldering Stations Glen Electronics 0 December 2nd 04 06:21 AM
Pipe soldering technique andrewpreece UK diy 23 November 21st 04 10:49 AM