Stihl chain saw: Fuel problem?

Old September 6th 05, 11:13 PM
[email protected]

Default Stihl chain saw: Fuel problem?

My Stihl 021 chain saw has always been hard to start when it's cold.
Now it doesn't start at all, but it will kick if I shoot starting fluid
into the carburetor. The local repair shop didn't even look at it.
Just said the carburetor's gummed up and they'll be happy to replace it
for $175. Astronomical, in my opinion. I suspect that this is a
reasonably simple engine to repair and am willing to attempt to correct
the problem myself. I'm guessing that the job will require checking
and cleaning out the fuel system, but beyond that I need some
suggestions. Please let me know what ideas you may have that will help
me get this done. Thanks.

Old September 7th 05, 12:58 AM
[email protected]

make sure you have good compression first at least 150 pounds,,,
that your plug is sparking .take the muffler off and look at the piston
and cylinder to be sre it isnt scored.if all that is ok, get a carb kit
and all the fuel lines and fuel filter. lucas

Old September 7th 05, 02:49 AM
Savvy 1

wrote in message
ups.com...
My Stihl 021 chain saw has always been hard to start when it's cold.
Now it doesn't start at all, but it will kick if I shoot starting fluid
into the carburetor. The local repair shop didn't even look at it.
Just said the carburetor's gummed up and they'll be happy to replace it
for $175. Astronomical, in my opinion. I suspect that this is a
reasonably simple engine to repair and am willing to attempt to correct
the problem myself. I'm guessing that the job will require checking
and cleaning out the fuel system, but beyond that I need some
suggestions. Please let me know what ideas you may have that will help
me get this done. Thanks.

You can solve a lot of small engine problems with a new spark plug and
opening up as much of the carburetor as you can get at and spraying at least
half a can of Gumout or other carb cleaner up in there. If it's hard to get
it open, try just removing (gently now) the carb needle valves (don't lose
the spring) and blow the cleaner up in there--- then let it drain out and
dry. Reset the valves to factory spec. If none available, turn them in very
gently until they seat, then back out about 1 or 1 and a half turns.

If it works, you've got a $5 fix.

S1

Old September 7th 05, 05:41 AM
Fred

wrote in message
ups.com...
My Stihl 021 chain saw has always been hard to start when it's cold.
Now it doesn't start at all, but it will kick if I shoot starting fluid
into the carburetor. The local repair shop didn't even look at it.
Just said the carburetor's gummed up and they'll be happy to replace it
for $175. Astronomical, in my opinion. I suspect that this is a
reasonably simple engine to repair and am willing to attempt to correct
the problem myself. I'm guessing that the job will require checking
and cleaning out the fuel system, but beyond that I need some
suggestions. Please let me know what ideas you may have that will help
me get this done. Thanks.

I had the same problem but hard to start when it's hot instead. Turns out
the little hole in gas cap was plugged and was fixed with compressed air. I
had some good responses in the rec.woodworking, misc.rural and
misc.survivalism groups as you may try to ask them as well.

You should either remove the gas (or let it run till it dies) or use gas
preservative before you put the saw is in storage to prevent future carb
from gumming up.

Powermatic 64A Alignment Problem D Steck Woodworking 1 June 29th 05 02:08 PM
OT? Ford Fiesta fuel problem? ChrisJ UK diy 47 June 28th 05 08:07 PM
Chain Saw Bar Wear Jonathan Goodish Home Repair 34 January 23rd 05 12:36 AM
stihl chain saw russ Woodworking 2 October 10th 04 02:24 PM
White Gas, Coleman Fuel, and Unleaded Gasoline Gunner Metalworking 11 October 6th 03 06:44 AM