Paul Franklin

Default Water heater flame-out when dryer runs

Installed a new natural gas water heater about 6 months ago. It's one
of the new style that has the system that prevents igniting flammable
vapors, and it also has one of the high-flow cut-offs that stops the
flow of gas when flow is excessive, like if the flex line breaks or
whatever.

All was well up until about a month ago. While doing construction on
the road out front, my gas line was cut. Not once, but 3 or 4 times
(I lost count). (Don't get me started....)

Each time they called the gas co. Repair came out, fixed the line,
relit pilot on boiler and water heater. Gas dryer has intermittent
pilot.

Now, when SWMBO dries laundry, the pilot on the water heater goes out.
Not every single time the dryer flame lights, but it's pretty much
certain to go out sometime during each dryer load. The boiler pilot is
fine; it doesn't go out at all. During the week when we are not using
the dryer, all is fine.

I figure either there is some kind of restriction in the line where it
was repaired, or some dirt got into the line and is blocking
something. (There is a dirt leg on the gas pipe feeding the water
heater.) Not sure how to troubleshoot. I could call the gas company,
but that means taking off work and all those hassles.

Any suggestions as to how to troubleshoot this?

TIA,

Paul

(you know what to leave out)

Speedy Jim

Paul Franklin wrote:

[...]

1) Fire up the boiler. It will draw far more gas useage
than the dryer. See if that affects the heater pilot.

2) Run the dryer in the "No Heat" mode. That will pull
air out of the house. See if that affects the heater pilot.
(Maybe it's not a gas supply issue...)

Jim
Stretch

I agree with Jim. When the dryer is running it acts like an exhaust
fan. Typical air flow on a dryer is 50 to 100 CFM. If the house is
tight, it may backdraft the water heater flue and blow out the pilot.

Or you may just need the water heater pilot adjusted to a larger flame.

Good luck

Stretch

Edwin Pawlowski

"Stretch" wrote in message
ups.com...
I agree with Jim. When the dryer is running it acts like an exhaust
fan. Typical air flow on a dryer is 50 to 100 CFM. If the house is
tight, it may backdraft the water heater flue and blow out the pilot.

Or you may just need the water heater pilot adjusted to a larger flame.

Good luck

Stretch

And open an window slightly when using the dryer. No matter how large the
flame it has the potential to be put out with a strong draft.

TP

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Stretch" wrote in message
ups.com...

I agree with Jim. When the dryer is running it acts like an exhaust
fan. Typical air flow on a dryer is 50 to 100 CFM. If the house is
tight, it may backdraft the water heater flue and blow out the pilot.

Or you may just need the water heater pilot adjusted to a larger flame.

Good luck

Stretch

And open an window slightly when using the dryer. No matter how large the
flame it has the potential to be put out with a strong draft.

We had a similar problem a few years back. After checking the
air flow (mine has plenty of air leaks) we found the gas
pressure regulator was set low. We had about quarter pound,
needed to be half pound. The gas company finally cranked it up
to a half. Then they noticed it was an old mercury regulator and
sent the crew a month later to replace it.

TP

Water heater leak? Jim Z Home Repair 1 July 18th 04 01:57 PM
Power cost of idle electric water heater Phil Sherrod Home Ownership 50 April 2nd 04 04:55 PM
Electric Water Heater Problem, Repair or Buy new, please help Robert Home Repair 10 January 10th 04 01:09 AM
Electric Water Heater Problem, Repair or Buy new, please help Robert Home Ownership 9 January 10th 04 01:09 AM
Poor hot water heater performance dperez@juno_nospam.com Home Ownership 3 October 24th 03 03:21 PM